Popular Tags: [View All]
Anna Banana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
INTRODUCTION:

I was first drawn to this game due to an advertisement and review in Spielbox. The colours and graphic design grabbed my eyes and I love Indian food and frequently cook it. (I even have a poster of Indian spices in my kitchen.) However, the reviews in Spielbox (7/2010) were only middling. Today at a TABS conference, I saw another attendee (who posted a review here) with a copy and ask to join a game.

GAMEPLAY:

The game is an interesting mixture. It has a dexterity mechanic where you toss chips onto various bowls painted on the board (the board has raised edges to keep the chips on the board). If your chips lands in the right place, you collect spice cards that are matched to recipe cards. The first person to complete/cook 3 recipes wins.

The game is quick (20 minutes to 1/2 hour at most.) It allows interaction between the players as you can knock the other players' chips out of position (either deliberately or accidentally). Luck is a strong factor in the arrangement of which cards come up although you can improve your chip pitching ability with practice. It is easy to learn and lots of fun to play - I believe it would be a great gateway game for new gamer and those who enjoy light games or as a light filler game.

THEME & COMPONENTS:

Although the theme certainly isn't integral to the gameplay, it is executed beautifully in the graphic design of the board and components. My only nitpick is that the bright yellow spice called "curry" should be labelled "tumeric" as a "curry" spice doesn't exist in authentic Indian cooking. The word means 'sauce' although in English/western cultures it refers to a variety of spice blends that often feature bright yellow tumeric. As well, the picture of the cumin and cardamom are somewhat similar in appearance although distinguishable by colour.

The artwork on this game is gorgeous and evokes Indian style from the bright yellow and orange box front with hot pink lettering to the decoration & numbers on the chips to the elephant illustrations printed on the money.

Generally, the components are well made. The board is sturdy and has a puzzle type piece that snaps into to it to stabilize it. The chips are a wonderful weight for throwing and even have a hole drilled in the middle so you can determine if they have landed on the object. My only complaint is the flimsy money, it reminds me of fax machine paper.

OVERALL:
I'd highly recommend this game for people who don't mind a strong luck element. It is a great game for new gamers or people who are looking for a quick, fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.