Corporal Dave
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, fellow FoFers,

I have been looking long enough my eyes are watering, so I'm just going to ask:

What, if anything, can units do without a leader present or in communication?

I send a green squad forward to scout, nothing with them. It gets hit, suffers P/C, so I have a fire team, a paralyzed team and a casualty, right? All pinned. (They failed to find cover, though as I write that I am not sure they could even have looked by themselves.)

What can they do? Anything? Are there 'self-preservation' actions, such as seek cover, self-rally, "Run away, run away!" or some other actions? Or do I have to send in the XO to try to get them to do something besides dying in place?

Liking the game, will eventually love it. But this is an uphill slog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DDeT wrote:
Hey, fellow FoFers,

I have been looking long enough my eyes are watering, so I'm just going to ask:

What, if anything, can units do without a leader present or in communication?

I send a green squad forward to scout, nothing with them. It gets hit, suffers P/C, so I have a fire team, a paralyzed team and a casualty, right? All pinned. (They failed to find cover, though as I write that I am not sure they could even have looked by themselves.)

What can they do? Anything? Are there 'self-preservation' actions, such as seek cover, self-rally, "Run away, run away!" or some other actions? Or do I have to send in the XO to try to get them to do something besides dying in place?

Liking the game, will eventually love it. But this is an uphill slog.

Each turn you end up with a chance for a type of initiative (can't remember the terminology) that allows any unit to take an action. Sometimes you draw a low number, ever 0. Other times you get 2 or even IIRC 3 of them. So use them for your "out of command" units.

Also, pyrotechnics can be used to trigger units to do pre-designated things, like fall back, seek cover, etc. But those signals need to be pre-designated before the mission kicks off.

Remember though, it's not your job to get all of your men back alive. It's your job to accomplish the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The General Initiative Phase gives the player a command draw that can be very helpful with units that do not have an HQ in communication. These commands do not require an HQ to issue them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played for a while, but I think units can do most things on their own during general initiative. Rallying may be an exception for which you need a leader, but I am not sure.

Seek cover is allowed during general initiative, so it is sometimes wise to send only one squad forward so you have enough general initiative commands to let them seek cover.

Pyros have already been mentioned and are quite useful.

Regarding the LAT-status, note that the pinned status goes away if a unit is not hit. On the other hand, many types of LAT cannot do much even if a commander is present. For example, a fire team cannot move towards the enemy. So it is sometimes the best option to let them just stay where they are and fire at the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Dave
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Thanks, Ben! That was fast- just in time for my second line of advance to run into an 88.... I expect similar problems.

Do you need any help idiot-proofing your rules rewrite? I could be the idiot.

FANTASTIC game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.