Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does it look like the land units are simply going to be driven on land using all the same movement rules like the ships at sea?

I'm curious how the land is going to work. Will there be only land on land games? Or, will it usually be played with a combination of all elements, land sea and air?

I'm wondering if those who have the rules have any insight. Has anyone proxied some of the land units and tried it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are terrain rules for land units in the rulebook - the suggestions in the book are for combining all three arenas of combat. Land units move slightly different to naval units but are covered by the rules. The stats for the land units are also in the rulebook for when the models come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I ask because I was wondering if the land rules are simply glorified sea rules.

I'm not sure what it is, but sea/space/air games just don't appeal to me like land games. I want to like them, because the DW units look very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could say DW is glorified Uncharted Seas and Firestorm Armada rules. Where land/air was added to previous rules it was done in an "after the fact" way. DW started out as having all three and incorporates all three arenas. The only reason it's viewed as a naval game is because the naval miniatures were the first to be produced

Personally I'm glad, as there are far more land rules out there than naval and I'd rather not have started with yet another land game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
The DW system sets right out to make land, air, and sea as uniform as possible. So, the process of moving units and how firing arcs and rolling damage all "feel the same". Superficially, the only real difference is that the land units use a different turn template. I've never been a huge wargamer, but I appreciate this uniformity because it makes the system accessable. I like that the units have slightly different weapons (and they should), but I like that I don't have to memorize a lot of cumbersome rules. This is a game; not a simulation.

That said, the differences of feel come out with the units themselves. Air units can really MOVE, and this is something that's caused us trouble with our relatively small tables. The sea units, being the backbone of the game, really feel different from the air units. How you bring the weapons to bear are strikingly different because once I bring my (relatively) slower sea units in there I'm dedicated to the fight.

Right now the land units are on the horizon, and I can see why Spartan (purposely?) didn't release them. The means of executing their fire appears to be completely different. And they will probably have to deal with terrain (and cover) in ways that are very different from air or sea units (submersibles aren't here yet, either). I can imagine land units almost having that "duck into clouds" ability that the planes seem to have--but all the time thanks to terrain. It's possible, anyway.

I only have a half dozen plays under my belt, but I'm pleased that the strategies of the different types of units is different. It's fun trying to get them working together in concert. I do worry that the introduction of land units will be very difficult... My grasp of history is not fantastic, but I don't think that simultaneous land/sea/air offensives have been launched very much--on the same beach. I imagine that once the land units come out that it will be more like an expansion of the tools that we have to enjoy scenarios.

The land rules ARE glorified sea rules, but the differences listed in the rulebook are just different enough that I'm sure that the land units will "feel" like land units because of the inherent nature of their being land units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your perspective. I look forward to seeing how the land units go over once they're out.

I'm sure I'll pick up the rules and try a couple of proxy games before buying any models.

Do the rules cover the terrain Line of Sight rules and Cover?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
Yes, they do (^_^); it's "complete", even if it doesn't wax poetic about the robot units that seem to be raging on the DW forum. It's interesting having a rulebook that's probably a year or so ahead of the releases!

I'll warn you, there are quite a few typos (and it's not just the wierd British English! (^_-)v). The rulebook has quite a few examples and sometimes there are errors, like "...look at model C..." (and there are two model D's). Nothing that doesn't make it readable, though!

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, let me say that I can't wait to get my models and start learning the game.

Secondly, I see the land units as just allowing a fight to go across your whole table. If half of the table is land, and half sea, you may have two battles going on that have little to do with each other, or perhaps the land battle is for control of a certain area and your sea units will support them, etc.

I just can't wait...especially for the units that can go on land and sea!

dammit, ebay seller, ship it to me FASTER!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.