Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick McIntyre
Canada
Unspecified
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made up a deck of cards illustrating all the spaces on the outer and middle regions. I was never able to find the time to perfect the variant I had in mind for these cards, but I thought it could be useful for any number of variants. Below the illustration, I will suggest some possible variants for such a deck of cards. I have been unsuccessful finding a place to upload the full PDF for the convenience of my fellow gamers; however, if I later find a place, I will post the link here.

[Updated: Now available at Talisman Island. Thanks, Jon.]

Variant: Concentrating Creatures

One concern among those of us that own all the expansions is that the deck becomes diluted and the game will bog down as players try to find encounters to earn XP. One variant would be to concentrate creatures on randomly selected spaces:
* Quickly find 10 creatures from the Adventure Deck and shuffle them together.
* Deal 5 spaces from the Space Deck
* Put 2 creatures face down per Space.
When a player lands on those spaces, they draw from the face-down cards before drawing from the deck. You can increase/decrease the number of spaces and creatures to your preference.

Variant: Increasing creature odds for Random encounters

This variant is the similar to the one above, except you put piles of non-creature cards on the spaces above. This way players are more likely to meet creatures in the other spaces, and have more safe havens.

Variant: Cooperative game (or solo adventure)

This variant is what I designed the cards for, but never had the time to fully play test. I offer this up as a draft so that others can flesh it out with their own gaming groups. It would essentially play like "Pandemic" or "Defenders of the Realm", where adventurers are trying to keep the forces of chaos at bay while preparing to reach the Crown of Command. The suggested numbers below are based on some of testing I have done, but they likely need adjustment.

Seed the board by drawing three cards from the Space Deck and putting three Adventure cards face down on each space on the board. Draw three more cards and place two Adventures cards on those spaces, then draw three more cards and place one Adventure card on each. Place those nine Space cards to the side as a discard pile.

Game play:
* each player on their turn rolls an extra die of a different colour along with their normal movement die. If the result is a seven (7), draw a card from the Space Deck and place an Adventure card face down on that space, then put the Space card in its discard pile. If the result is four or less, draw a card from the Bottom of the Space Deck, place three Adventure cards face down on that space, and then shuffle that Space card and the rest of the discards, putting them back on TOP of the Space Deck.
* When a player lands on a space with face down cards, he/she draws from those cards before drawing from the Adventure deck.
* If a board space already has three (3) face down Adventure cards when it is about to receive another, that space's two neighbors receive a card instead. This "explosion" could cause a chain of exploding spaces, but a single space can only ever explode once per turn.

Game Ends:
* Every time a Seven (7) is rolled, or a space "explodes" into other regions, place a marker next the board. When there are ten (10) markers next to the board, the game is lost. The game also ends in defeat when every space on one side of the outer region, or two sides of the inner region, have a face-down Adventure card on them.
* Rather than just have the game end, you could have some game-ending creature fight everyone.
* The group wins if a player reaches the Crown of Command before the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a neat little set of cards, and I imagine others will come up with uses for them.

Hopefully, if people post about them here, they can be added to the rules document in the download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim DuBois
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find the exact place on Talisman island to download these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McIntyre
Canada
Unspecified
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.talismanisland.com/expansions.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.