Subject: Official Launch of Board Game Info (BGi) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks,

Board Game Info (BGi) has officially launched: http://www.boardgameinfo.com/

I've recently started as editor-in-chief of the website, and would like to talk to the BGG community directly about our current and future plans for the website. We have a lot of exciting features in place, and many others on the horizon. The board game industry is growing every year, and we believe the market is sufficiently large to support multiple community driven websites. We offer some unique features that I think will be really useful for those active in the gaming community.

Some of BGi's features:

1.) A game store finder with maps and contact information for game stores in our database. Further, the stores can input information on what type of products they support, and at what level they support them.

2.) Public and private event calenders with an RSVP and forum system. Organize local and regional game conventions, board game groups, or game store events.

3.) New and upcoming game release information.

4.) A marketplace for selling and trading games, and a reward system for participation.

5.) An extensive forum system: strategy, news, game design, print & play, reviews etc.

6.) Game index (database) with a rating system.

7.) Game review database (written, video, and audio).

8.) Multiple game news feeds (Purple Pawn, Game Salute) as well as staff generated news content.

9.) Featured content and contributions from big names in the game industry like Scott Nicholson, Tom Vasel, Shannon Applecline, Matt Drake, and others.

10.) Banner exchange system for game blogs.

11.) Podcasts, chat rooms, mobile apps, competitions & contests, and much more.

If you have any comments or suggestion on the website, feel free to contact me here, or at BGi. In particular, I'd love to hear any suggestions for improving the design of the website.

BGi's owners (James Mathe, and Chris Johanson) have done a wonderful job assembling the website, and on behalf of everybody at BGi, we hope you enjoy it.

As an aside, nobody associated with BGi wants any sort of rivalry with BGG; we just hope to contribute more options for those who love the hobby. I've been a BGG'er for seven years and counting, and as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier. There is no such thing as too much board game news and discussion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it's basically pretty much everything BGG has.

I must say I don't understand all these recent attempts to duplicate BGG. Seems like a waste of time and resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we will have to see in a year about Steve's questions. I am truly interested in seeing it then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walsh
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean best of luck to you but BGG has been good to me so Im going to be sticking with them.

May want to work on your message too, for some reason right or wrong I get the feeling BGi was formed from bad blood/poopy diapers, not really from a need for 2 sites in this category.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United Kingdom
Southwell
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

I must say I don't understand all these recent attempts to duplicate BGG. Seems like a waste of time and resources.

I assume it is because there are people/groups out there who wish to tailor Board Games info and news in the way that they want to see it rather than how BGG provides it?

It would take something to replicate the BGG database though. It might be more appropriate to regard these new websites as satellites of BGG, so from my point of view they are very welcome, 'local' ones in particular?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As this site seems to be in direct competition with BGG -- to the point where I believe there are some high-profile content providers who are no longer posting here b/c they're posting there -- it seems poor form to come here and "advertise" your site.

Kind of like setting up a kiosk to sell iPhone knockoffs right outside the entrance to the local Apple store.

Boo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I don't understand the negatives here. They seem pointlessly harsh. Why shouldn't there be more than one place to learn about and talk about games? How many places can you find out info about your favorite sports teams? How many places can you find out about your favorites movies? How many places can you learn about, listen to and discuss music? These protective attitude about BGG is really silly and seems to feel like those posting are afraid BGG can't measure up. I think the poopy diapers comment should be taken down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everyone has a right to express himself. No "taking down" comments...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had myself a look at the site. I like the front page. Very nice.

The comment on the site by James Mathe,
Quote:
"I just wanted to take a moment to set a few things straight since there is a ramped thread over at BGG about us now...

I would post there myself but BGG has delete so many of my accounts (including games my company publishes) this year my head spins – they are in no way non-bias"

reads to me that they are negative of BGG. Sounds to me like bad blood.

However, I am interested in what games BGG has deleted from his company and why, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
People really do get bent out of shape sometimes in these forums.

Chill.

The site looks good. Right now BGG is Old Faithful as far as information and community, but BGi looks and feels really nice.

I agree to give it time to grow.

Caleb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple observations:

- I'm surprised that BGG is allowing this press release to be posted. As a for-profit company, it has every right to manage the content on its site, especially from other sites in direct competition with it.

- If the above quote from BGi is accurate, I'm equally surprised that BGi would air their dirty laundry like that. It shows very poor judgement from a PR standpoint, and immediately sours me to even considering using their site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
The only difference I can see is that the irrelevant picture of "Girl playing game" is on the left-hand side of BGi's front page rather than the right-hand side of BGG's where I normally find it.

Some things will never change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walsh
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I have to say that I don't understand the negatives here. They seem pointlessly harsh. Why shouldn't there be more than one place to learn about and talk about games? How many places can you find out info about your favorite sports teams? How many places can you find out about your favorites movies? How many places can you learn about, listen to and discuss music? These protective attitude about BGG is really silly and seems to feel like those posting are afraid BGG can't measure up. I think the poopy diapers comment should be taken down.

OK so maybe that was a little harsh, Ill concede to that. I really do wish them well and I recognize some of what they are trying to do is different than what BGG is doing.

Im just voicing my opinion that based on some of the mission statements and comments I read from there it seems this was born of bad blood more so than filling a market gap, thast all, and it really turned me off before the site even launched. They have a thread called something like"whos a BGG ex-pat", and folks there are already calling BGG's community horribile and frustrating. It just doesnt feel light spirited yet, it feels a little too competitive for my taste. Now -they are a business, as BGG is, and the competition is an inherent feature of a business environment. But Im a hobbyist, in it purely for the fun, and the last thing I need in my off time is politics and bickering.

I could be wrong on the above and I really hope I am - Ill gladly take egg on my face for it. Im just stating the way their brand feels to me at this moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Boddy
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
A couple observations:

- I'm surprised that BGG is allowing this press release to be posted. As a for-profit company, it has every right to manage the content on its site, especially from other sites in direct competition with it.

- If the above quote from BGi is accurate, I'm equally surprised that BGi would air their dirty laundry like that. It shows very poor judgement from a PR standpoint, and immediately sours me to even considering using their site.

It's all about the Streisand Effect. By making a big deal out of something, you create interest in it.

As for your second point, that's another reason why it's a good idea for BGG to leave this thread going. People will use whatever site seems better to them. Why sour folks to using your site by going negative?

I think BGi will create some competition. BGG has a huge lead, but if BGi proves to be popular, BGG might have to evolve in order to keep up. If BGi is essentially the same thing as BGG, and the honeymoon wears off, BGi may become one of the ghost forums that litter the web these days.

Only time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I noticed a post yesterday about BGG getting a site redesign.

I'm sure this is relatively old news to most of you, but it was GREAT news to me. I love the information here, but I look forward to what the guys do with the interface.

Competition is always good, in my opinion. It keeps something great (like BGG) looking toward the future.

Not to imply that the site redesign is a result of the new BGI, but knowing that there are other fledgling sites out there helps to keep you focused.

BGG!

Caleb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walsh
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdboddy wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:
A couple observations:

It's all about the Streisand Effect. By making a big deal out of something, you create interest in it.

As for your second point, that's another reason why it's a good idea for BGG to leave this thread going. People will use whatever site seems better to them. Why sour folks to using your site by going negative?

I think BGi will create some competition. BGG has a huge lead, but if BGi proves to be popular, BGG might have to evolve in order to keep up. If BGi is essentially the same thing as BGG, and the honeymoon wears off, BGi may become one of the ghost forums that litter the web these days.

Only time will tell.

Yes I agree with your point about competition, which could greatly benefit both sites. It will be interesting to see how this evolves and whether or not we are making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Uh.... Hello!

It's got PURPLE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:

However, I am interested in what games BGG has deleted from his company and why, though.

I would be interested as well. I can't imagine BGG deleting a game, or publisher. That would be counter productive not to mention affect SEO.

Konig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Konig wrote:
JoffW wrote:

I would be interested as well. I can't imagine BGG deleting a game, or publisher. That would be counter productive not to mention affect SEO.

Konig

From what I remember it was an accidental deletion of a publisher that then deleted the linked games or something. Followed by profuse apologies and re-adding of said publisher/games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Konig wrote:
JoffW wrote:

Konig

The owner (James Mathe) has a game called: Those Pesky Humans that is reviewed on the BGi site and is linked to BGG from Mathe's home page: http://www.JamesMathe.com. The link is dead.

However, if you simply search "Those Pesky Humans" in the BGG search field, the game does pop up.

Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

Seems he could easily update the link on his webpage to: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/76442/those-pesky-hum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwalsh1 wrote:

OK so maybe that was a little harsh, Ill concede to that. I really do wish them well and I recognize some of what they are trying to do is different than what BGG is doing.

Im just voicing my opinion that based on some of the mission statements and comments I read from there it seems this was born of bad blood more so than filling a market gap, thast all, and it really turned me off before the site even launched. They have a thread called something like"whos a BGG ex-pat", and folks there are already calling BGG's community horribile and frustrating. It just doesnt feel light spirited yet, it feels a little too competitive for my taste.

I could be wrong on the above and I really hope I am - Ill gladly take egg on my face for it. Im just stating the way their brand feels to me at this moment.

While I'm not an owner, I'm going to be heavily involved in the non-technical day to day operation of the website, and you will never see me do or say anything that suggests competition or "bad blood" between the websites. I love BGG, and I really think this is a win-win for everybody in the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
CalebSkye wrote:
The owner (James Mathe) has a game called: Those Pesky Humans that is reviewed on the BGi site and is linked to BGG from Mathe's home page: http://www.JamesMathe.com. The link is dead.

However, if you simply search "Those Pesky Humans" in the BGG search field, the game does pop up.

Interesting.

I searched the games that Minion puts out and they all appear to be in the BGG database, so I'm not sure what the problem is, especially if a mistake was made that BGG publicly apologised for.

By the way, the quote I referred to in my previous post can be found here: http://www.boardgameinfo.com/showthread.php?t=8009

Edits: here is the BGi Mission Statement: http://www.boardgameinfo.com/BGI_Mission.pdf

Zaphod wrote:
While I'm not an owner, I'm going to be heavily involved in the non-technical day to day operation of the website, and you will never see me do or say anything that suggests competition or "bad blood" between the websites. I love BGG, and I really think this is a win-win for everybody in the hobby.

Except they have already publicly said that they are in competition: http://www.boardgameinfo.com/threads/8079-BoardGameInfo.com-... -
Quote:
"A few days before BoardGameGeek, currently the Internet’s only comprehensive source for information about board and card games, announced its first month with over 2,000,000 unique visitors, a new competitor with muscle announced that it is open for beta: James Mathe‘s BoardGameInfo.com."
(Edit: This appears to be a quote from a news feed linked to Purple Pawn, but posted on BGi by a BGi Admin).

ohbalto wrote:
As this site seems to be in direct competition with BGG -- to the point where I believe there are some high-profile content providers who are no longer posting here b/c they're posting there -- it seems poor form to come here and "advertise" your site.

Kind of like setting up a kiosk to sell iPhone knockoffs right outside the entrance to the local Apple store.

I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
jwalsh1 wrote:

Im just voicing my opinion that based on some of the mission statements and comments I read from there it seems this was born of bad blood more so than filling a market gap, thast all, and it really turned me off before the site even launched. They have a thread called something like"whos a BGG ex-pat", and folks there are already calling BGG's community horribile and frustrating. It just doesnt feel light spirited yet, it feels a little too competitive for my taste.

Yeah, I read that ex-pat thread. Quite a few of those complaining, either about how "cluttered" the BGG front page is, or how heavy-handed the mods are here, are moderators there...

And let me just say the typical forum software they are using is a terrible way to try to access information on a lot of different games, and their front page is far more cluttered and useless than BGG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially, this news is 3 months old here on BGG. And while at first it got some initial interest. In the last three months, activity has almost dropped off to "not much" at BGi. So I'm not sure what the rehashed "official" launch announcement will garner? Everyone already knows about BGi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.