Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i ordered this game online and still have not recieved it so i been reading the Castle Ravenloft instructions online since there seems to be no rulebook of this one and i just had a few questions

1. On your hero phase are you able to attack two times? the rules do not mention, it says (move, move) (Attack, move) or (move attack)

2.Do the monsters only come to whoever spawned them or do they go to the nearest hero who also has that monster card?

3. On monster cards if it says for a monster to move within a tile if out of range. Does this mean that the monster will move far into your tile (right in front of you) or just there on the edge of the tile?

4. Lastly, on canceling encounters with experience... are you able to look at the card first before canceling it?

Thanks a bunch fellow gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Player With A Few Questions
the_shadow447 wrote:
Well i ordered this game online and still have not recieved it so i been reading the Castle Ravenloft instructions online since there seems to be no rulebook of this one and i just had a few questions

1. On your hero phase are you able to attack two times? the rules do not mention, it says (move, move) (Attack, move) or (move attack)

Under normal circumstances you can't attack twice. Certain power cards may allow it, but attack-attack is not a standard option.

Quote:
2.Do the monsters only come to whoever spawned them or do they go to the nearest hero who also has that monster card?

Monsters follow the tactics on their cards. They go after whatever hero meets the condition, regardless of who spawned them. Many cards say something like "attack the closest hero." It doesn't matter whether that hero spawned the monster or not.

Quote:
3. On monster cards if it says for a monster to move within a tile if out of range. Does this mean that the monster will move far into your tile (right in front of you) or just there on the edge of the tile?

The Ravenloft rules give no specific advice on what that movement would mean. I *think* the Wrath rules say to move scorch mark to scorch mark (which would be bone pile to bone pile for Ravenloft), [Edit: This is correct.] In general, however, the rules are pretty loose about monster placement, and it's largely up to you and/or your group to decide how smartly to play the monsters in certain situations.

Quote:
4. Lastly, on canceling encounters with experience... are you able to look at the card first before canceling it?

You can look at it first.

Edit: Also, since there's a movement afoot on BGG to make clearer rules-questions thread titles, you might consider renaming the thread to make clearer the questions you asked in case others have those questions later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Player With A Few Questions
Quote:
Quote:

The Ravenloft rules give no specific advice on what that movement would mean. I *think* the Wrath rules say to move scorch mark to scorch mark (which would be bone pile to bone pile for Ravenloft), [Edit: This is correct.] In general, however, the rules are pretty loose about monster placement, and it's largely up to you and/or your group to decide how smartly to play the monsters in certain situations.

In CR and WOA, there are most often 2 types of monster movement, "Move X tiles", and "Move adjacent to [closest/with most hitpoints] hero":

When moving x tiles, move the monster to the scorch mark unless it is full, in which case you can place the monster anywhere on that tile.

When moving adjacent to..., move the monster into an adjacent square to whichever designated hero (does not have to be on a certain tile) unless there are no openings in which case it is placed on the scorch mark, unless that is full in which case you may place in anywhere on that tile.

I realize it sounds convoluted to learn, but in reality it is easier and quicker to play this way which is why they did it. In the original rules, you could argue and discuss placing the monster anywhere on the tile and it made the game kind of drag on...

Quote:
Edit: Also, since there's a movement afoot on BGG to make clearer rules-questions thread titles, you might consider renaming the thread to make clearer the questions you asked in case others have those questions later.

Yes, this is an awesome initiative to help other user's track down the answers to the great questions you asked, plus it keeps us from having to repeat our answers and makes BGG a more streamlined place to visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.