Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: FFPWiki [+] [View All]
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a situation develop last night in our first play through where at a location my wife had a battle. It was only a 1 fight so we don't have that headache to go through with multiple fights, however after rolling the dice, it was determined she lost.

She then proceeded to play the card "Contagion" effectively wiping out the resistance.

But does she lose the 1 ship (she had 2 ships there so there is no argument about her conquest of the space)? Did the "contagion" card nullify the effects of the dice throw, or does she still lose the 1 ship?

Timing for some cards in battles seems a little unclear as to how they can affect thrown dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say I know the answer. The issue is that the fight dice have been thrown, but events can be played after the roll that modify that roll or the fight. Key, though, is that the dice were rolled...I'm not sure you can take that back.

One possible interpretation is that the base strength of the resistance is reduced to 0, as the contagion wipes them out, but the die roll still remains (so total strength = die roll). However, this makes a sticky situation if the humans rolled a 6 for crushing victory...a strict interpretation would be they still get the victory in that case, or in case their die roll is greater than the alien's strength total.

Given the timing of when contagion was played, this seems most in line with the rules to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

Page 12 states: Card abilities can be used at any time during a fight (even after Fight Dice are rolled) up to the moment that a Fight Round is resolved.

This rule does not state that the card would supersede battle round results unless the card specifically states in the text.

The card you described did not indicate that it would nullify a battle result so my take that your wife's spaceship would remain destroyed along with all those pesky humans that destroyed her alien craft.

I hope I'm right...anyone with a better answer??

Epp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but isn't determining the outcome of the strength total the resolution of the fight round? In this case since contagion has been played and the resistance is destroyed, I believe the outcome falls back to the auto win for the aliens and no alien saucer is lost. Otherwise you are playing the contagion after the resolution and are in the next fight round. If the contagion had failed, you would be left with the original result.

I think that is the nature of playing event cards after the fight dice have been rolled, to nullify the effects of the fight round (you hope) for the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the responses everyone.

Not sure if I am any the clearer on how it should be played however laugh

Dougs interpretation is what I was leaning towards using a bit of Rich's initial thought process. But I can also see Chuck's POV.

Is an event card able to be played to effectively change "time"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
LFITQ wrote:
thanks for the responses everyone.

Not sure if I am any the clearer on how it should be played however laugh

Dougs interpretation is what I was leaning towards using a bit of Rich's initial thought process. But I can also see Chuck's POV.

Is an event card able to be played to effectively change "time"?

If a fight is only held when there are active resistance, then does killing off the resistance result in an auto-win for the aliens, regardless of whether they are destroyed before or after fight dice have been rolled?

This card would certainly have been better off with some timing text...like, "play at the start of a battle". It's actually a great card to play at the beginning of the assault on Capitol City, since it affects all fights during the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a copy at hand to check, but I thought Contagion was a one time and discard event and the condition was if no resistance or just heroes are left, the aliens win that fight. It causes each active resistance in the current fight to roll for immediate elimination. Since battles sometimes occur over several fights, only the outcome of the current fight is affected. If it says it lasts for a whole battle then it is pretty powerful. Honestly I can't remember how we played it when it came up in our games.
Text 'Play at the beginning of a fight round' would have simplified things but takes some of the power of the event cards away. Being able to decide after seeing the strength rolls is a big plus. Contagion is still a gamble if it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
cparrott wrote:
I don't have a copy at hand to check, but I thought Contagion was a one time and discard event and the condition was if no resistance or just heroes are left, the aliens win that fight.

Jason Hill, stated it affects the entire battle Re: About Contagion Card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cparrott wrote:

Text 'Play at the beginning of a fight round' would have simplified things but takes some of the power of the event cards away. Being able to decide after seeing the strength rolls is a big plus.

I agree with your statement of having the card indicate when in the phase the effects takes place. This would have simplified this process.

I also agree that seeing the result die rolled "before" you commit the card is contrary to what I think makes sense (too many "war games" played). But I see the card is available for the entire Battle. A very powerful card indeed.

I still would like a ruling in the following example:

In a "single fight round, there is a human unit vs an single alien ship. The alien player is holding in his hand a "Contagion" card. The alien did not play his card and the battle die for human/alien were rolled. The human's die result caused him to win (either outright or by the number of pips rolled). At this moment - and after seeing the fight result - the alien player plays the gas card. After rolling a die - the humans are killed leaving only the alien ship in the battle area.

Possible Answers:

1) Card withheld until battle dice are rolled. Seeing that the aliens have lost the round, throw down this card and immediately win!! Thus the card can be "Played at ANY Time" thus effecting the battle outcome even AFTER all dice have been rolled (base strength of the resistance is reduced to 0).

or

2) Card withheld until battle dice are rolled. Seeing that the aliens have lost the round, throw down this card. The humans roll for their unit and failed (DRT - Dead Right There). The alien player still looses his ship asthe card did not specifically indicate that it changed the result of the dice.

Epp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

If all of one side is removed during a Fight, that Fight immediately ends without being resolved (technically there is no winner or loser). At that point the next Fight can begin, or, if there are no more Fights at the Location, the remaining side wins the Battle.

In the example in question, if the Aliens play Contagion after rolling the Fight Dice for this round, and the Resistance is destroyed by the Contagion, the Fight immediately ends and no Alien would need to be removed.

Also note, that because the Fight immediately ends without resolving (as one side has been fully removed), the Aliens would not be able to play a card like Spoils of Conquest as they did not technically win the Fight (the Resistance was destroyed mid-Fight by Contagion).

Hopefully that makes sense.

- Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PERFECTLY!!!

I was leaning on what you just stated as I read through all of the responses. The mind tends to wander and tries to out think the simplified. The game is very clear on all events and this one question was just to ensure I drove a nail through it to ensure I was getting the rules right. I didn't want to make an error and ruin the tons-of-fun that this game brings to the table because I got a rule wrong.

THANKS again for the clear and concise answer!

BTW: Jason - This game ROCKS! I just taught a good friend who mostly only plays Euro-wienie games - he had a great time and wants more!
That to me is a good sign...that you hit the mark with this game!

Remember....we come in peace.....muuhaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.