Subject: Flute Of The Outer Gods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a massive 7 hour session yesterday, and at one point I got the card "Flute Of The Outer Gods"

Went in to a location with 5 or 6 monsters, and BOOM used it, but afterwards I was thinking about it, I did not do the horror check for any of them (monsters) should I have first rolled the horror check for all of them or can you just walk into a mob and eliminate all of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It does say "Any Phase" so that would mean you can use it in the movement phase before combat even takes place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Fulford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be used only before making a Combat check, which can only be done after making a Horror check for the monster you are fighting. So you would have to make a Horror check for one monster, then you could use the flute and destroy all monsters at the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rosso
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmmtofu wrote:
It can be used only before making a Combat check, which can only be done after making a Horror check for the monster you are fighting. So you would have to make a Horror check for one monster, then you could use the flute and destroy all monsters at the location.

I don't think that's what it says. I would interpret this as using this in any phase as long at it is before the combat check. Therefore, you could use it during the upkeep, movement phase or encounter phase after the horror check. Otherwise the any phase part is meaningless,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No1Sciguy wrote:
mmmtofu wrote:

I don't think that's what it says. I would interpret this as using this in any phase as long at it is before the combat check. Therefore, you could use it during the upkeep, movement phase or encounter phase after the horror check. Otherwise the any phase part is meaningless,

So you think I did it right? no horrorcheck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Desbois
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, no horror check. i'd think you did good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card says 'any phase', it doesn't mean 'at any time.' It just means that the timing doesn't directly have anything to do with what phase it is. You have to look elsewhere on the card for the actual timing.

In this case, it clearly says before making a combat check. This means you have to be dealing with a monster, and you have to have already dealt with that monster's horror check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Desbois
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well if we follow your logic, the horror check has to be done against all monsters for sure.

question is, do you play your flute looking at the monsters, or in your corner.

If i'm an investigator with this flute, for sure i won't look at the monster surronding the place... i'll just play it closing my eyes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, just one. You only deal with monsters one at a time. Here's an example of the order of how you will usually use the flute:
1) Enter a space with multiple monsters
2) Choose a monster to deal with
3) Take the horror check
4) Use the flute of the outer gods
5) All of the monsters are dead now, so you don't have to deal with them anymore.

As I've said before in other threads, don't try to adapt the rules to narrative. That way madness lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
spetz wrote:
well if we follow your logic, the horror check has to be done against all monsters for sure.

If i'm an investigator with this flute, for sure i won't look at the monster surronding the place... i'll just play it closing my eyes...

Ugh, another one of these...Anyway:

No, it doesn't mean you have to make a horror check against all monsters. it just says "a" (as in, before you make a combat check) which means, pick a monster. Any monster will do! Preferably a witch or cultist! Then, before you make the combat check, lose 3 stamina and sanity, and (even if insane, unconscious, or devoured, I'd reckon), you instantly defeat all monsters in that area (which also means you get their trophies). That means you defeat all the other monsters before you face the others. This may only be 1, or it could be 5 or 6 like the OP mentioned. Of course, you could also just kill a cultist or two, then realise you're out of weapons to use, and you blow your horn. Again, it says before you make a combat check. It doesn't have to be on the first monster. In fact, if you face the monster and don't defeat it in the first round, you can blow the flute instead of making the second combat check! Albeit, after you take your damage from the monster, of course!

It says "Any Phase" because you can face monsters (or, more importantly) make a Combat Check in phases 2, 3, 4, and sometimes 5. This is actually to PREVENT confusion. If it said "movement" you couldn't use it on encounter monsters.

Oh, and try not to get theme mixed in place of rules. Things get really murky and nasty when that happens :-x

But hey! Don't sweat it. Chances are one of those monsters had an easy Horror Check, or even one without one! It probably wasn't a deal-breaker in the game, but it did get you thinking about the rule. So yes, in my opinion, if you follow the card, you make 1 horror check, and blow the flute. Hopefully I covered it all...And was convincing enough...

The real important thing to remember, though, is if you play with the flute, play it consistently. If you decide to now do it this way, keep doing it. IF you instead decide to do it without a horror check, keep doing it that way. That is, unless you're convinced otherwise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would like to use the Flute.
2. It is usable "any phase," so there's no phase restriction.
3. I use it "before making a combat check." Well I'd better go do something that will cause or result in a combat check. How about combat with a monster?
4. I enter combat with a monster. I want to use the Flute, but it's not yet time for the combat check. I must first make a Horror check against the monster.
5. I've survived the horror check and am still standing, so now is the time I'd make a combat check. I opt to use the Flute instead.
6. As per the Flute's text, I defeat (i.e. "pass a combat check against") all monsters in this space. I collect their trophies, and clues/unique items if any are Warlocks or Mi-Go, and then lose a bunch of health.
7. In the odd event that I've been reduced to 0 sanity and stamina, I am now devoured.

In summary, you have to get past a horror check to be able to use the Flute. But, you only need to do one horror check, because the effect of the Flute is to eliminate all other monsters in the location. So make sure you pick the monster that has the easiest horror check—or no horror check at all (Cultist) if there is one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Desbois
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EcnoTheNeato wrote:
spetz wrote:

Ugh, another one of these...Anyway:

No, it doesn't mean you have to make a horror check against all monsters. it just says "a" (as in, before you make a combat check) which means, pick a monster. Any monster will do! Preferably a witch or cultist! Then, before you make the combat check, lose 3 stamina and sanity, and (even if insane, unconscious, or devoured, I'd reckon), you instantly defeat all monsters in that area (which also means you get their trophies). That means you defeat all the other monsters before you face the others. This may only be 1, or it could be 5 or 6 like the OP mentioned. Of course, you could also just kill a cultist or two, then realise you're out of weapons to use, and you blow your horn. Again, it says before you make a combat check. It doesn't have to be on the first monster. In fact, if you face the monster and don't defeat it in the first round, you can blow the flute instead of making the second combat check! Albeit, after you take your damage from the monster, of course!

It says "Any Phase" because you can face monsters (or, more importantly) make a Combat Check in phases 2, 3, 4, and sometimes 5. This is actually to PREVENT confusion. If it said "movement" you couldn't use it on encounter monsters.

Oh, and try not to get theme mixed in place of rules. Things get really murky and nasty when that happens :-x

But hey! Don't sweat it. Chances are one of those monsters had an easy Horror Check, or even one without one! It probably wasn't a deal-breaker in the game, but it did get you thinking about the rule. So yes, in my opinion, if you follow the card, you make 1 horror check, and blow the flute. Hopefully I covered it all...And was convincing enough...

The real important thing to remember, though, is if you play with the flute, play it consistently. If you decide to now do it this way, keep doing it. IF you instead decide to do it without a horror check, keep doing it that way. That is, unless you're convinced otherwise!

I think that makes sense, there was at least one cultist in the mob so I would have dealt with his horror check and since there is none I kinda did it right, from now on we will have it 1 horror check and then flute, it makes sense since it states "before making a Combat check"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to use the Tactical Nuke (Flute of the Elder Gods) last night. Had a flare gun that I fired off first.

Bagged me:
Serpent Person
Flying Pollup
Fire Vampire
Shan
Nightgaunt

Nice haul for 3 stamina and 3 sanity loss. I was using Carolyn in the Misk U. Street, so the sanity was no big deal and I was within walking distance of the hospital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Powell
Australia
Glenrowan
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 hours!
I think the longest game I've had was 4 hours with 5 investigators.

How may investigators were there and what was the set up?goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harlequin1 wrote:
7 hours!
I think the longest game I've had was 4 hours with 5 investigators.

How may investigators were there and what was the set up?goo

We where 5 and only with AH, me and another guy own the game and we have only played it 3 times (the third was last night) and the other guy's where playing for the first time, so we are still learning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used this card the other night to bury that rumor card that puts all the monsters in the Miskatonic University streets and all its monsters.

Hope I could do that. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
If you failed the rumor? Yes. If you haven't passed/failed it yet? No. That's why the card says the monsters actually aren't in play...Or on that street...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time 2 Roll wrote:
I used this card the other night to bury that rumor card that puts all the monsters in the Miskatonic University streets and all its monsters.

Hope I could do that. blush

Sorry, you couldn't. Those monsters aren't on the board, so there isn't a physical location you can go to to "Flute" them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artyom Chernyshov
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Got to use the Tactical Nuke (Flute of the Elder Gods) last night. Had a flare gun that I fired off first.

Bagged me:
Serpent Person
Flying Pollup
Fire Vampire
Shan
Nightgaunt

Nice haul for 3 stamina and 3 sanity loss. I was using Carolyn in the Misk U. Street, so the sanity was no big deal and I was within walking distance of the hospital.

This got to be the most epic action ever *manly tears*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.