Popular Tags: [View All]
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am notorious at underestimating playing time, especially for new games. For this game, I can see playing time being highly dependant on the number of players.

Please give me your opinion on the ideal number of players for a first game and a realistic estimate of playing time (excluding teaching) with that number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
For player count 5>6>4>>>3. Playtime will probably be in the 4-6 hour range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume your '>' means better? Can you share a bit of your reasoning for this very particular ranking, or is it simply based on personal experience? Why is 3 player so much worse?

I also read your suggestions in the personal comments to pre-stack the deck, make treasures only worth $10 and ship treasures every parrot year. I understand the pre-stacking in order to reduce randomnes and align the decade distribution with the overall distribution. What are the main intents of the other two suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
I think five is the best number for this game because it forces someone to be a pirate. With fewer, it's a bit tame. With more, it's pretty chaotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DaMilli wrote:
I assume your '>' means better?

Yes.

Quote:
Can you share a bit of your reasoning for this very particular ranking, or is it simply based on personal experience?

It guarantees an early pirate and thus an early start to the more interesting negotiations. The views based on experience.

Quote:
Why is 3 player so much worse?

Not enough factors, weak negotiable positions and too easy for to Governor to become self-sufficient.

Quote:
What are the main intents of the other two suggestions?

It makes the treasure shipping & thus the pirates more interesting and smooths and nerfs (a nice combo) what can otherwise be an easy victory path (treasure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.