Hide
11 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Treasure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Harber
msg tools
After completing an adventure do the heros keep the treasure they have found in the previous adventure, or does it get discarded?

Also how do you purchase additional treasure? Do you just go though the treasure deck between adventures and purchase based by the amount of GP you earned in the adventure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya I know, where is it in the rulebook about this? I looked through the adventures and saw no mention of what to do with the treasure (GP) tokens either.

I'm guessing that one way to house rule them in is by dropping a few random tokens in the main bosses chamber. Then when you play again (if you play again right away) draw 6 treasure cards and buy as many treasures as you can for the next adventure.

Or you could create a "Market Treasure Deck" of certain cards and use the tiles with exits to visit town to buy items mid-adventure. In this case, leaving the dungeon doesn't end the adventure and the hero(s) that leave can re-enter at the same exit tile. With this method, I'm thinking only 3xp monsters drop treasures, and all the others drop one or two GP tokens (depending on their EXP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Adventure 6 and Adventure 13, the "campaign" adventures:

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harber
msg tools
I think I am still confused. Do these rules apply to all of the adventures? If so why put the rules on only these two pages and not put them in the rule book?

On the other hand if you assume you only use these rules in these two adventures what is the point of collecting treasure/GP up to this point if you cannot use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, and the first page or so of the manual explains that most of the chits in the game are only used in specific adventures. The "campaign" rules are only in Adventure 6 and 13. It is only in those Adventures that you are collecting GP. Those are the only Adventures that have "linked" Adventures where your hero retains equipment between scenarios.

There's no reason to assume you are supposed to do this for any of the other adventures. Following the rules printed, to start the game, you pick an Adventure, you pick a Hero(es) and his/her Power Cards, you get one starting Treasure and off you go.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harber
msg tools
Well if that is the case there were a couple times we came across encounter cards or treasure cards (I forget which) that stated to pick treasure tokens and place them on a tile on the map that could be picked up.

If we are not supposed to be collecting/using GP then why give the opportunity to pick it up before adventure 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true. Which is a nice contradiction in the rules. The Encounters "Hidden Treasure", "Occupied Lair", "Thief In The Dark", and "Dragon's Tribute" all talk about placing or drawing Treasure tokens, yet on pg 4 of the rulebook, it explicitly states to not use Treasure tokens unless the Adventure calls for them (which most don't).

When we drew those encounters, since "gold" was not used in the Adventure we played, we decided to simply place one of the "treasure" Treasure tokens whenever indicated. There's no official rule that I can see one way or the other, so up to you on how to decide to play.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden Treasure and Dragon's Tribute are both explained in the FAQ, on the last page of the rule book.
When a card refers to tokens, but the scenario does not use them, use treasure cards instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So.. there really isn't any "real" campaign in WoA. It's just 2 stupid missions that let you buy stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
So.. there really isn't any "real" campaign in WoA. It's just 2 stupid missions that let you buy stuff?

I am not sure I agree with the stupid part, but yes, that is basically the campaign.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Neff

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the best campaign(s) for WoA or Castle Ravenloft would be those created by a player, in a sort of pseudo-DungeonMaster role. This is a D&D game, and though a board game version of D&D it greatly benefits from just a bit of D&D DM'ing. The rules are a little loose, but I've come around and between FAQs, fellow players, and my own imagination I'm starting to really see the campaign possibilities for these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.