United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride: Europe by Alan R. Moon.

With the enormous success of Ticket to Ride, Days of Wonder must have been itching to capitalize on the minimalist game engine of Ticket to Ride. The fundamental rules for Ticket to Ride: Europe are the same as its predecessor. There are a handful of changes: initial destinations, tunnels, ferries, and stations.

Each player receives 1 long destination and 3 shorter destinations to select. They must keep at least two of the four destinations. This new method insures that each player receives a fair chance at a large destination. It also gives an additional starting destination to a player.

On the map there are two new types of routes. Tunnels and ferries. When laying track in a tunnel, you announce the color of cards that you are playing. You then flip three train cards from the top of the deck. For each matching color of the cards that you played, you must contribute an additional engine of that color. Tunnels add a level of risk and are in ways a proxy for longer tracks (which are fewer than the original).

When laying track on a ferry, you must contribute a number of locomotives as indicated on that track (usually one and occasionally two). This increases the importance of the locomotive, and as a corollary, there are more "hard-draws" of the locomotive (i.e. drawn from the display instead of top-decked).

Stations are the final major revision. A station can be played in any unoccupied city (i.e. doesn't already have a station). At the end of the game, the player can use one route that leaves the city as though it were that player's route. This doesn't contribute to or connect for the longest rail, but is used to help connect your destination tickets. To play the first station costs one card. The second costs two cards of the same color. The third, three cards. In addition, each un-played station gives you +4 VP at the end of the game.

So, with all of that said, do I like it? Yes. The routes are smaller (there are no 5 train routes, there is one 6 train route, and one 8 train route) which pushes the focus of the game to the destination tickets. This in turn leads towards an increased need to foil another player's completion of tickets, made easier by the fact that routes are shorter. Mitigating this element is the option of placing stations.

All told, Ticket to Ride: Europe is a slightly more advanced version of Ticket to Ride. This alone is a clever idea. Get people in on Ticket to Ride, then push them to Ticket to Ride: Europe, and thus slowly open the door to these wonderful games of ours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
FullTinCan (#479394),

Thanks for the good review. My wife and I just played our first game last night. I have not played the first game. One thing you might have missed is I think there are TWO length 6 routes, both gray (of course). I think one of them is a tunnel and the other is a ferry route requiring two locomotives. The length 8 route is all tunnel, so in theory (although highly unlikely) you may be asked to spend 11 to build it. You are correct that not having a lot of huge routes forces people to try to complete tickets and go for the "longest train" bonus too. An enjoyable game. Actually play time for the two of us was less than an hour - not bad for our first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Friesen
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge (#480430),

Thank you for the correction.

So far, each game of Ticket to Ride: Europe and its ancestor have left me hankering to play more, much like Settlers of Catan, its second cousin once removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kilgore
United States
Sturgeon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FullTinCan (#479394),

If you are digging this series of games, you might want to give Alan R. Moon's Union Pacific a look. It is a near relative and, unlike someone considering upgrading TtR for TtR:E, the game is definately different enough to put those "more of the same" worries to sleep.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't really see how you can start compare Ticket to Ride and Settlers. Only player first game of T2R last night, but it does not seem to me to begin to compete with Settlers in strategy or planning and doesn't really share any mechamisms. And T2R seems even more luck based than Settlers! Is it just that they are both considered gateway games into the hobby?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.