Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: newbie question on twilight struggle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yesterday my gf wanted some quality time together (instead of playing boardgames with my friends), so i said "why don't we try Twilight Struggle?"

It was our first game, we struggled with the rules for a bit but overall it was an enjoyable session :>

I do have some rules that i hope fellow geeks can help me clarify

1) when playing action cards (e.g. for coup/religment etc) do players play simultaneously?? or it is played one after another? e.g. soviet play 4 ops then USA get to choose which card to play?

2) Once NATO comes into play as an event, Soviet can no longer coup/realign europe for the rest of the game?? isn't that a bit powerful?

3) one of the space race said you can discard 2 cards, is this effect in fuction after you proceed further in the space race??

4) it is quite difficult to keep track of the current round, any good ideas?

5) after a few turns, a lots of cards with permanent effects come into play, how to keep track of all these. (e.g. can not coup/realigh japan, allow coup/realign france even when NATO is in play)

i think this is a good game, but does get a bit overwhelming in mid-war.

many thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
yesterday my gf wanted some quality time together (instead of playing boardgames with my friends), so i said "why don't we try Twilight Struggle?"

It was our first game, we struggled with the rules for a bit but overall it was an enjoyable session :>

I do have some rules that i hope fellow geeks can help me clarify

1) when playing action cards (e.g. for coup/religment etc) do players play simultaneously?? or it is played one after another? e.g. soviet play 4 ops then USA get to choose which card to play?

3) one of the space race said you can discard 2 cards, is this effect in fuction after you proceed further in the space race??

many thanks guys

Two answers:

1 - Simultaneous play is only for the headline phase.

3 - It remains in effect until both players have reached that part of the space race. Then neither player can use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:

Cards are played one after another, back and forth. The Soviets always begin the round. They play a card. Then the US. That is one Action round. Then the Soviets play a card, then the US. That is action around number two. And so on.

Quote:
2) Once NATO comes into play as an event, Soviet can no longer coup/realign europe for the rest of the game?? isn't that a bit powerful?

No. Actually, it's one of the weakest events in the entire deck. Europe cannot be couped or realigned unless Defcon is at 5, and Defcon is almost never at 5.

Quote:

What it says is that you can make a second space race attempt in the same turn. You do not discard two cards in a single attempt, but instead are allowed two attempts. A player only has this ability until his opponent reaches that space on the track (which is true of all space race abilities).

Quote:
4) it is quite difficult to keep track of the current round, any good ideas?

What do you mean? There's an action round track (with a double sided marker that begins on the Soviet side and then flips to the US side, back and forth). There's also a turn track.

Quote:
5) after a few turns, a lots of cards with permanent effects come into play, how to keep track of all these. (e.g. can not coup/realigh japan, allow coup/realign france even when NATO is in play)

There are chits for each of these events that you can place near the relevant area of the board (or wherever you want to place them as a convenient reminder).

Hope that helps,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to point out an alternate to using the round track, which I and my boardgaming partner routinely found ourselves forgetting to flip and turn the marker over on.

We each play our cards to the side of the board in a sequence with the card names showing so we can keep track of who played what, as well as whose turn it is. For cards which are discarded we place them sideways and remove all of them at the end of the turn. For cards that remain in play and the China card we use Index cards to mark them in our stack, then add the cards to the discard pile at the end of the turn.

I love the game, but for me at least keeping track of the rounds is easy to forget because I'm thinking about so much other stuff during a round, and really all it takes is to forget once to have to shuffle things around and figure out who played what and when. We've always been able to figure it out, but I hate how time-consuming it can be to do so. (Perhaps I just don't have the uber memory of some people, who knows ) I think having two separate round tracks for each player to keep track of on their own would have been better, but that's just me. Either way, I love the game, and it is quite possibly my very favorite, glad you got it to the table!

Cheers,

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys :> totally understood.

i'll try jacovis method of keeping track of the rounds...
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could use my card counter board:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50193/twilight-struggl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:

Holy cow! I can't believe I've never seen this! I'll start peddling it like last year's crack Richard, it's neat!

Cheers!

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool !!!

sorry Jacovis, i'll put a pass on your idea for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
JohnRayJr wrote:

Quote:

No. Actually, it's one of the weakest events in the entire deck. Europe cannot be couped or realigned unless Defcon is at 5, and Defcon is almost never at 5.

Sorry, complete newcomer here too, but where does it say in the rules that realignment rolls depend on defcon? I thought only coups depended on defcon, and you could always play a realignment roll as long as your opponent has influence in the country you're trying to re-align no matter what the defcon status is... Really confused here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha Mastrano
Australia
Heidelberg
Victoria, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook:

8.1.5 The consequences of the DEFCON status levels are on the
DEFCON Track, and are reproduced here:
• DEFCON 5: No effect
• DEFCON 4: No Coup or Realignment rolls are permitted in
Europe.
• DEFCON 3: No Coup or Realignment rolls are permitted in
Europe or Asia.
• DEFCON 2: No Coup or Realignment rolls are permitted in
Europe, Asia, or the Middle East.
• DEFCON 1: Game over. The player responsible for the status
going to 1 (the Phasing Player) loses the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
you're right thanks! I was only looking at the 6.2 rules and the cheat sheet and missed it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It also appears on the board, under the Defcon numbers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.