Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this isn't something you would generally keep track of, but what are some of your biggest final turns? In a game I just finished online (http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&pl=20883), I started my last turn with 58 culture and ended it with 117. Then after the Age III events I ended with 182 (still not quite enough to win sadly).

I imagine most of them will involve a big First Space Flight (mine was worth 42). I also got 12 culture from playing 4 techs (Einstein), and I got 20 from Impact of Industry that I had seeded.

I wasn't really thinking about big Wars over Culture, but those could qualify too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had several 2-player games end with over 250 points. I've also had some with winning scores in the 60s. It's completely relative.

Edit: nevermind - misread that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you say, it's not something one normally keeps track of, but since I wrote it up as a review here (see: "Streaking Through the Ages"), I know that in one game I had a slightly bigger turn than the one you described: about 140 points. It also involved Einstein and FSF, with a war added in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Beite Løken
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
As you say, it's not something one normally keeps track of, but since I wrote it up as a review here (see: "Streaking Through the Ages"), I know that in one game I had a slightly bigger turn than the one you described: about 140 points. It also involved Einstein and FSF, with a war added in.

First space flight is incredibly powerful, since works on late game science. Now that is the way to win in three or four player games (good in 2-player games as well, but I think maybe culture combos like Mich / Basilica are even better in 2-player, since there are fewer players that can come down on you militarily). Before we made our own expansions, we used to lament that computers + einstein + first space flight = auto-win (though luck with impact cards can still make a huge difference, obviously).

Especially Impact of Technology together with impact of blue technologies (can't remember the name) is a devestating combo with the science strategy. I remember a game where I had all three of the age 3 blue technologies (in addition to democracy), together with 4 other age 3 techs. With Impact of Science and impact of blue technologies and lvl of government, along with Einstein and first space flight, I ended up scoring an insane amount of points.

Almost all the impact cards showed up in that game (except colonies which I never played and I think maybe impact of agriculture). I scored highest on all but impact of strength (2nd place) and happiness (had 6 happy faces). My most dangerous rival in that game had gone early culture and also managed a very respectably showing late game with movies and rock star. However, he wasn't even close to my score after the game was over.

Edit: I just remembered another thing that happened in that game. In the final round, one of my opponents played an impact card. The revealed card was: Score culture equal to science. (It was me who seeded the card.) I had an astronomic science per turn at that point, well above my opponents. That was really fun :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vicar in a tutu wrote:
Fortuna wrote:

First space flight is incredibly powerful, since works on late game science. Now that is the way to win in three or four player games (good in 2-player games as well, but I think maybe culture combos like Mich / Basilica are even better in 2-player, since there are fewer players that can come down on you militarily). Before we made our own expansions, we used to lament that computers + einstein + first space flight = auto-win (though luck with impact cards can still make a huge difference, obviously).

Especially Impact of Technology together with impact of blue technologies (can't remember the name) is a devestating combo with the science strategy. I remember a game where I had all three of the age 3 blue technologies (in addition to democracy), together with 4 other age 3 techs. With Impact of Science and impact of blue technologies and lvl of government, along with Einstein and first space flight, I ended up scoring an insane amount of points.

Almost all the impact cards showed up in that game (except colonies which I never played and I think maybe impact of agriculture). I scored highest on all but impact of strength (2nd place) and happiness (had 6 happy faces). My most dangerous rival in that game had gone early culture and also managed a very respectably showing late game with movies and rock star. However, he wasn't even close to my score after the game was over.

Edit: I just remembered another thing that happened in that game. In the final round, one of my opponents played an impact card. The revealed card was: Score culture equal to science. (It was me who seeded the card.) I had an astronomic science per turn at that point, well above my opponents. That was really fun

Before my opponents conceeded the last game I payed I was going to score 48pts from a single wonder. Not sure what last turn score would have been though.

It is amazing that you can have a 50pts lead going into Age 4 and then lose...kinda like the "don't take your eye off the ball" aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vicar in a tutu wrote:
Before we made our own expansions, we used to lament that computers + einstein + first space flight = auto-win (though luck with impact cards can still make a huge difference, obviously).

All three of those cards are hard to get, esp. in a timely fashion, so "auto-win" seems a silly label.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
Vicar in a tutu wrote:
Before we made our own expansions, we used to lament that computers + einstein + first space flight = auto-win (though luck with impact cards can still make a huge difference, obviously).

All three of those cards are hard to get, esp. in a timely fashion, so "auto-win" seems a silly label.

That was my first thought: Wait, you have to get three specific cards and be able to implement them all, and in order to maximize their effect you have to do it with some timing constraints... and that's an "auto-win"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
Fortuna wrote:
Vicar in a tutu wrote:

That was my first thought: Wait, you have to get three specific cards and be able to implement them all, and in order to maximize their effect you have to do it with some timing constraints... and that's an "auto-win"?

I think it's useful to separate the likelihood of getting those three cards from the impact of getting those three cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Beite Løken
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
Fortuna wrote:
Vicar in a tutu wrote:

I think it's useful to separate the likelihood of getting those three cards from the impact of getting those three cards.

Exactly. I wasn't saying auto-win as in "this game sucks and every match comes down to this combo", we were discussing most theoretical points in a final round, and even though it is very rare, I have played quite a few games in which either myself or an opponent manages to get all these cards and score a gazillion points. When that happens (again, very rarely), it becomes exceedingly difficult to compete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game this weekend, 4-player. Went into the last turn with around 40 points, ended up around 160 - 11 points behind the winner for 2nd place. Launched a War over Culture on the player to my left, who had just launched his own the turn before on the player to his left. They could both sacrifice, so he was compelled to, forcing him to spend his penultimate turn rebuilding to defend against my War. I picked up a decent amount of Culture with the War, completing Fast Food Chains, and then a TON of Impact cards. If the Impact of Strength card were in the deck, I would have pulled out the victory. Nonetheless, having a 0 Culture rating into the first third of Era III made it entertaining as I passed two players by in the final score and nipped at the heels of the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played a 2 player game on BGO where 2 players resigned before the game even began. As a result the game went 22 rounds and I ended up jumping from 190 to 363 on the final turn:

einstein:9
event seed: 3
first space flight: 46
impact of strength: 10
impact of technology: 40
impact of government: 23
impact of architecture: 19
turn-by-turn culture score: 23

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Norgren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you count wars, I've gotten 112 culture from someone in a war on the last turn, not counting the various other bonuses. I ended with somewhere around 220 culture that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.