Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: IP [+] [View All]
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Youse just announced over on CSW that Hasbro and MMP have decided not to renew the licensing agreement for Up Front, due to the ongoing legal issues surrounding the property.

I suppose we now get to wait and see who was right all these many years: the MMP nay-sayers who blamed MMP for the delays and were certain that another company could have handled the property better; or the MMP yea-sayers who blamed legal problems for the delays and were certain that MMP was doing the best possible with the property.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all those rights and properties being protected by all those laws, I can't help but wonder: Is there some potential near-victim somewhere saying to themselves, "Whew, that was close. Thank goodness no one is going to be enjoying this game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I think it's all for the best. It's nice to have closure. It's strange reading ancient threads at BGG where the poster is excited that the remake will be out Real Soon Now. Up Front is Up Front, and if you want to play Up Front, go and buy Up Front. From what I've heard, they were going to Magic-the-Gathering-ify the game anyway, sort of like how 4th edition D&D got MMORPG-ified. Any creative energy would IMHO be better spent making an original new game instead of yet another remake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
So you mean my unpunched copies of Up Front and the two expansions will skyrocket up price-wise...

Well, remembering an early interview of at "Point-to-Point" - podcast (#6 if I remember right) there are now a number of cards being ready for the can...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but what are the legal rights in question>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its sad for new wargamers, but great news for those who already own the game. Maybe someone can leak out some of that new artwork *wink*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
It just clears the way for a remake with new art and better written rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Garfink wrote:
Its sad for new wargamers, but great news for those who already own the game. Maybe someone can leak out some of that new artwork *wink*
Sad for new wargamers?

I don't feel any emotions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
JaggedTech wrote:
It just clears the way for a remake with new art and better written rules.

I don't think a revised Up Front will do as well as so many people hope it would. The Combat Commander series has siphoned off a large number of gamers who would have otherwise been playing Up Front.

It's a great game. But with each passing year, there will be fewer wargamers awaiting its return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jholen wrote:
Garfink wrote:
Sad for new wargamers?

That's only because you don't know what you're missing! Ignorance is bliss!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Walsh
Australia
Darwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bozo's will be Bozo's especially the 'Bright Ones'. God help anyone who needs the aid of legal practioners. This is a real shame as the game with updated rules would sell out within the week. I would so love to purchase this game, but I will have to content myself Combat Commander, one of the games it's always compared to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
That 50 quid I spent of a copy of Up Front on ebay now doesn't seem such a bad idea after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borja Sierra
Spain
Getxo
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this is a sad news, I was waiting for a renew of Up Front to have my hands on it. Now I will have to look around at ebay or here for a decent copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
Maybe someone can leak out some of that new artwork *wink*

maybe someone will upload the old artwork to a printworks in China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Desert War is really not worth picking up. It was a bad investment when I bought it for $15 back in the day. Banzai, on the other hand, is a must own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like MMP, but they're awfully slow when it comes to printing non-"The Gamers" games. I guess even if they had put Up Front on their pre-order list and it had broken the 500 (or 1000 more likely), it would still take at least two years for them to print it.

Also, and speaking as someone who already has a copy (and the expansions) I hope that after rights revert back to Hasbro more people are now willing to make their own copies, because Hasbro is less likely to reprint the game than MMP (if that's even possible). I think that's a good thing, because Up Front is a great game and deserves to be played by many people.

Of course there's also the possibility that a company which really wants to bring the game back in print picks up the rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
due to the ongoing legal issues surrounding the property.

That sounds like the kiss of death. No one wants to put time and money into a game, only to find that someone else owns the rights, and that you may not earn anything (or even lose money) on the project. I know nothing about this situation, but "legal issues" usually means a vague or competing sales or licensing agreements or an heirship problem. I can't blame anyone for not proceeding if that is the case.

My suggestion is that some designer use Up Front as his inspiration and make a new and better game that improves on the old one. Just name it something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:
My suggestion is that some designer use Up Front as his inspiration and make a new and better game that improves on the old one. Just name it something different.

'Sup Grunt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl huber
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
And Desert War is really not worth picking up. It was a bad investment when I bought it for $15 back in the day. Banzai, on the other hand, is a must own.

Agreed. Maybe not a *bad* investment, but the Japanese, U.S, British and Russians are the sides to play. Desert War didn't really add much with the French and Italians, and we rarely played them.

Must haves are the base game, Banzai, and The General with the 501 dyo article: General 26-5 501 City Fight in Four.doc - imho!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
Together $40 for a cheap copy of upfront, $65 for desert war, $125 for banzai... thats US$230!

Does your exclamation mark mean you think this is cheap or pricey? My sense is that while $230 for the set may be dear compared to the original price of those games, it is probably close to what new reprints would cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dieroll Honker wrote:
Garfink wrote:
Together $40 for a cheap copy of upfront, $65 for desert war, $125 for banzai... thats US$230!

Does your exclamation mark mean you think this is cheap or pricey? My sense is that while $230 for the set may be dear compared to the original price of those games, it is probably close to what new reprints would cost.

You can take the "exclamation mark" to mean what you like. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer! I have the copies of UF and Banzai I purchased and played to death back in the '80s but my deck is so worn the cards are ready to break in half. I sleeved them to save them but at the cost of doubling the thickness of an already unwieldy deck. I would love a mildly updated version of this game. The completist in me would love to have a copy of Desert War but I'm not ready to shell out $50-$75 on a small 25YO envelope of cards and chits for the joy of playing French and Italian troops. Lets hope UF sees the light of day again at some point. Meanwhile there is plenty of great stuff to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:

Isn't that what Combat Commander: Europe and Fields of Fire were kind of striving to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
rjpomeroy wrote:
Bummer! I have the copies of UF and Banzai I purchased and played to death back in the '80s but my deck is so worn the cards are ready to break in half. I sleeved them to save them but at the cost of doubling the thickness of an already unwieldy deck.

I have two shrinkwrapped spare decks that I ordered from AH back in the day. One of them I will probably list on an appropriate math trade someday...UF is not hitting my table much the last few years. It's a great game but it takes a fair bit of work to teach a newbie. There was an awesome PBEM program that I loved because I could do a move in 3 minutes while I was working and send it back and wait for my opponent to do the same. I probably played more games of UF that way than any other way but the site disappeared a long time ago and as far as I know does not exist. Most of the players switched to a real-time version which didn't suit my needs as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Garfink wrote:
jholen wrote:
Garfink wrote:
Sad for new wargamers?

That's only because you don't know what you're missing! Ignorance is bliss!

Yes ... where 'tis folly to be wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.