Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marek Przadka
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I finally have the game down except for the shifting the formation rule when a marine dies. Anyone have a good explanation of how this works or maybe a link to a video?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ill try and show an example.

Door - Marine A
..........Marine B
..........Marine C - Corridor
Vent - Marine D
..........Marine E
..........Marine F - Dark Corner

Now say Marine D was to die. This would cause the bottom half to shift up since it would be the smaller of the split formation. So, as long as Im understanding the shifting, it would look like this:

Door - Marine A
...........Marine B
Vent - Marine C - Corridor
...........Marine E
...........Marine F - Dark Corner

Everything shifts when a Marine dies including Terrain and Genestealers.You determine which section shifts by the amount of marines in the split. The smaller half is the section that would shift. So if Marine A wouldve died only he Door wouldve moved down to Marine B's position. I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
stubobj wrote:
Ill try and show an example.

Door - Marine A
..........Marine B
Vent - Marine D
..........Marine E

Now say Marine D was to die. This would cause the bottom half to shift up since it would be the smaller of the split formation. So, as long as Im understanding the shifting, it would look like this:

Door - Marine A
...........Marine B
Vent - Marine C - Corridor
...........Marine E
...........Marine F - Dark Corner

Everything shifts when a Marine dies including Terrain and Genestealers.You determine which section shifts by the amount of marines in the split. The smaller half is the section that would shift. So if Marine A wouldve died only he Door wouldve moved down to Marine B's position. I hope this helps.

Shouldn't the Vent stay in the same position, with the formation moving up (in this example), ending up like this?

Door - Marine A
..........Marine B
Vent - Marine E

As I understand it, rooms only move With Marines still alive, or am I reading the rules wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gripen wrote:
As I understand it, rooms only move With Marines still alive, or am I reading the rules wrong?

I think it should less be considered that the rooms don't move, but rather that the marines shift into the vacuum left by the dearly departed marine.

The Vent should be aligned with Marine E as E&F shift upwards to fill the space left by Marine D (may he rest in peace). If there had been a terrain feature on the that same side of Marine E (perhaps from previous deaths) it would shift upwards with Marine E and coexist with the Vent (which is kind of weird, but what can you do really?)

If Marines E & F were to be slain, the terrain cards would not shift upwards, but rather the remaining marines would technically shift downwards to fill the void with possible conjoining of terrain in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I support the second interpretation where the Vent "stays still" and only what's below it shift.

In the rules there's a graphic example similar to this situation, with the difference that instead of a terrain card there is a Genestealer card that remains "orphan" of the dead Space marine. In the example the Genestealer card is not moved up, and since in the shifting rules terrain, genestealer and marine cards are treated the same, I think it's safe to assume that it works that way also for the other cards.

The rules maybe are a bit unclear when they divide the formation in bottom and top half but they don't specify that the empty row is not part of either one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
msg tools
And if Marine A or F die? Presumably their terrain and GS cards shift toward to Marines B and E respectively?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
mmesich wrote:
Gripen wrote:

I think it should less be considered that the rooms don't move, but rather that the marines shift into the vacuum left by the dearly departed marine.

Sure that works too Vacuum or the room moving with marines, the game mechanic is still the same..
Always good to know that I wasn't the only one reading the rules as such. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
kurahoshi wrote:
And if Marine A or F die? Presumably their terrain and GS cards shift toward to Marines B and E respectively?

Correct.

Door - Marine A
..........Marine B
Vent - Marine E

Would become;

Door - Marine B
Vent - Marine E - Dark Corner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess I misinterpreted the shifting part of the rules. Thanks for clearing this up guys. I hope to one day play this game with all rules interpreted correctly LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
stubobj wrote:
Guess I misinterpreted the shifting part of the rules. Thanks for clearing this up guys. I hope to one day play this game with all rules interpreted correctly LOL.

Seriously... They really should have fleshed out the rulebook before its final printing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
If there had been a terrain feature on the that same side of Marine E (perhaps from previous deaths) it would shift upwards with Marine E and coexist with the Vent (which is kind of weird, but what can you do really?)

The way to see this thematically is that Marine E is now having to cover a larger area (previously shared with Marine D) containing both terrains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
No_Frets wrote:
I support the second interpretation where the Vent "stays still" and only what's below it shift.

In the rules there's a graphic example similar to this situation, with the difference that instead of a terrain card there is a Genestealer card that remains "orphan" of the dead Space marine. In the example the Genestealer card is not moved up, and since in the shifting rules terrain, genestealer and marine cards are treated the same, I think it's safe to assume that it works that way also for the other cards.

The rules maybe are a bit unclear when they divide the formation in bottom and top half but they don't specify that the empty row is not part of either one?

I've been struggling with this for nearly an hour, but I'm persuaded by your example from the Rules. The GS that just killed Deino doesn't move, which, as you say, suggests that GS/Terrain cards adjacent to a slain Marine stay where they are.

Good spot, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.