12 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » General

Subject: Ship colours for the colourblind folks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tufty McTavish
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I unpacked my copy of Merchants & Marauders on Friday evening and was initially extremely confused by the set of ship models in the game. After examining a few pictures on BGG I realised what was going on and inspected the manual more closely:

Turns out that under a lightbulb I couldn't tell the green, red and brown ships apart!!!! They're very distinct in the above images though. I was considering how on earth I was going to play the game - how I was going to have to go out and ask a friend to separate the models for me - and how I should get painting some colour onto the sails.

But as soon as a sunny Saturday morning dawned and I was sat by a large window I was able to tell the ships apart. Depending on the lighting conditions it may still be a tricky proposition for me to play this game with 4-players without some kind of additional token by the player ships. We'll figure out something though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a quick permanent solution glue colour-distinguishable plastic counters (tiddliwinks, for those of us who remember the 20th century) to the undersides of the boats. Not only will this stop your sloop and flute from capsizing every time the dice are rolled, but you can also paint on some white-capped bow-waves to give the impression of movement through the water. (I should be able to post a picture later)

The ones at the bottom of this page could be excellent
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Counters.html
but I just used ordinary round ones.

And if you have any white acrylic paint, the plastic takes paint well, so the sails of the NPC boats can be made visually different.

edit: to put the link for em4 in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
TuftyMcTavish wrote:
Depending on the lighting conditions it may still be a tricky proposition for me to play this game with 4-players without some kind of additional token by the player ships. We'll figure out something though!

There always is an additional token by the non-player ships, their respective nationality colors (the big ship-shaped tokens) always accompany them (and never player ships). So as long as you have somebody who can pick the brown ships for the NPCs, you should be fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After cleaning the plastic with a slightly acidic solution to remove any mold release agent, prime with Rustoleum Plastic Primer. That will bond with the plastic. Then use accylic paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tufty McTavish
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks, chaps. I must have missed the bit about the extra discs. I had been wondering what they were for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
TuftyMcTavish wrote:
Thanks, chaps. I must have missed the bit about the extra discs. I had been wondering what they were for.

To clarify, I don't think anybody is talking about using the extra red, blue, and yellow discs from the cardboard punch sheets. AFAIK those are only included because they were used by the printer for color calibration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye Let's have pictures!

The NPC ship here is a French one. There is only ever one NPC ship of each nation (plus two pirates, max) on the board, and every one of them has this underlay chip token thingy beneath them to make clear which nation they're from. NPC ships are never nation-less, and thus never without such a token

The nation of an NPC ship is important for their hunting order (whom they hunt first) and for when nations go to war (for which Frigates turn into Man-O-Wars).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
The NPC ship here is a French one.

What sailing under a dutch flag! Now that's pirate-y.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jellynut wrote:
haslo wrote:

Think about the flagblind folks! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
jellynut wrote:
haslo wrote:

Think about the flagblind folks! goo

Gee, doh Way to make everything more instead of less confusing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tufty McTavish
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Peristarkawan wrote:
To clarify, I don't think anybody is talking about using the extra red, blue, and yellow discs from the cardboard punch sheets. AFAIK those are only included because they were used by the printer for color calibration.

Got it. I did a few more rounds last night and realised about the use of Frigates or Man-o-wars and the ship-shaped flag tiles that go underneath. Looks like I'll be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really you could just have a different ship model for each player, while I think the NPC naval ships and pirates are distinguishable enough from each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.