Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night, and some questions came up that we couldn't readily find answers to.

We were playing Scenario 1 with the Basic Rules.

1) On the Number 0 Hit Table, there is an "M" result - we could not find its meaning anywhere.

2) In the basic rules it says ships have a battle sail speed of either 3 or 4 - but there are 2 British ships in Scenario 1 that have a spped of 2. How is the wind attitude diagram (on the log sheet) set up for these ships?

3) Can gunboats rake? Be raked?

4) In the rules there are parameters for the "closest ship" having to be an enemy in order to fire a shot. I can see the rationale for this with broadside shots, but would this apply to a gunboat? We assumed those guns are on turrets since they can fire in any direction and therefore did not apply that restriction. (i.e. could a gunboat fire west at an enemy 3 hexes away when there is another ship to the east 2 hexes away?)

5) We ran out of strike markers during the scenario. Were we doing something wrong? We were invariably firing at each others' hulls until the ship struck then leaving them to drift helplessly. This was a pretty small battle compared to some later scenarios.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom - I really enjoyed our first play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following is my opinion...

1) My Tables do not have a "M" on them. Could it be a blurry "H"? If you go here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/12496/wsim_tables-pdf
It clearly shows no "M"s on the tables...

2) I assume you are talking about counters 1601 and 1602? They also have a Full Sail Speed of 4 (not covered in rule book either). We used (full/battle) A:4/2; B: 3/1; C: 2/0; D: 1/0 (yes, they did not like C and D with battle sails).

3) Rules don't exclude gunships.

4) Per the rules, must fire at closest. Got to remember these turrets were primitive: limited traverse, poor sighting, usually hand cranked, smoke from powder inside and outside, conditions inside turret, etc.

5) Some other game systems utilize more realistic "National Policies". Remember, one of the goals of naval battle at that time was to gather "prizes" - which you cannot do if you sink everything in sight. Hitting the rigging to slow down the opponent (allowing you to maneuver more and get more rakes) and then going for the crew (smaller defensive parties and lower firing ability) makes for a fairly intact prize at the end.

Welcome Aboard! By the by, I have a number of items accrued from other websites. If you contact my "off Geek" email - I can send you (and anyone else) some items you may not have. [LimboLance@yahoo.com]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) My version (1975) clearly has an "M" in the die roll of "4" spot for the Number 0 table...the pdf you linked has a "C" in that spot. Must have been a typo in an early version is my guess.

2) That sounds about right. I'm not surprised that it was missed in the rulebook, but somewhat surprised it wasn't part of an official errata.

3) I reread the rules on raking....it specifically mentions "broadside", not its line of sight, so I'm straight on this one.

4) This brings up a question...is it me, or does this rule generate lots of possibility for ship manipulation to obscure a potential shot during the game? (seems like this is one part of the game where disparate player skills would be evident)

5) Yeah, I figured we were just being overly "roundshot happy."

Thank you for your thoughts...hopefully someday soon I'll get the advanced game to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wes, you can also hone your WS&IM skills playing online at http://youplay.it/default.asp. The tables they use there also lack an "M" result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I played over 100 games of WS&IM on that site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.