Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Small World» Forums » General

Subject: English Expansions not compatible with Spanish/Italian base game - Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rblanc rblanc
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi there,

I own the base game in Italian, and just bought 2 expansions in English (Be not afraid and Dames of..)

When I opened them I was completely disappointed to see that the race and power tokens do not fit, as theier order is reversed in the English expansions compared to the Italian base game which I already owned.

I think this is so silly in terms of production and I am sooo disappointed. shake

@ Days of Wonder: why did you messed this whole things up? Didn't you think that people were going to buy english expansions as they were released instead of having to wait 2 years for the translation? And why did you decide that you absolutely had to make the components not compatible? wow

Two things I could do:
- Keep the expansions and just try to play with the expansion tokens not fitting into the original ones
- Return the expansions

What is your suggestion? What would you do?

Thanks,
Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flip the new race & power tokens upside down and mark them so you know that when they are right-side-up they are actually in decline.

And I agree with you, that is an incredibly inconsiderate move on DoW's part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Siegburg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've heard of that before.

I think they had to do this because of the differences in english and italian / spanish grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
cool username wrote:
And I agree with you, that is an incredibly inconsiderate move on DoW's part.

I think they consider it EXTRAORDINARILY considerate of themselves, taking a language's grammar into account. It is more work this way than just doing a straightforward translation.

But it is rather ill-construed nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Brunelli
Italy
Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Info here: http://www.giochiuniti.it/index.php?option=com_agora&task=to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rblanc rblanc
Italy
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your answer.

In the link provided by Mario (thanks Mario) they say it's the english version that is not compatible with all the other languages due to different grammar.

Still, this doesn't solve my problem unfortunately as I bought english expansions (the only ones I found).

Do you guys know if the expansions are available in languages other than english?

At this point, I'd be interested in Italian expansions as you might have guessed.

Thanks all for your help!
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing you should do in such situations is to contact the publisher and ask them. Many publishers are very helpful.

Your options include:

1. Keep it, and play it with the gaps that you see in the image Martin showed above. Still playable, if not as attractive.

2. Return it, and look for an Italian version:
A. Try to get a local store to order it.
B. Find an online store to order it from.
C. Order it from the publisher.

#2 would make you happier, I reckon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio Marcano
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All expansions have been published in Spanish (with exception of Necromancer Island) by Edge Entertainment. There must be compatible with Italian version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rblanc wrote:
In the link provided by Mario (thanks Mario) they say it's the english version that is not compatible with all the other languages due to different grammar.

The German edition is compatible with the English edition.

Until now (only knowing the English, French and German edition) it was the French edition for me which was incompatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saddly the friend of mine that has SMALL WORLD has it in English, and brought the both game expansions in spanish, being completely incompatible because in spanish have the adjetives after ther noun. Still is playable though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.