Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created a set of tokens that can be used to either clear the board of clutter (i.e, the exploration cards) or to hide the "important" rooms from the investigators. You can download the file here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64665/exploration-tokens

Explanation of their use is in the comments.

Happy gaming!

Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deron Dorna
United States
Westford
MA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't players supposed to know which rooms are locked and which are not? If all tokens are the same, then they have no idea until they try to enter the room. I like the way the tokens look, but I worry that this may create an imbalance against the Investigators - FFG obviously felt that players should know which rooms are locked, since they could easily have made all card backs the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already a couple of optional rules at the back of the rulebook that make the game harder for the investigators. Just treat this mod as another optional rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Bouchard
Canada
flag msg tools
I think this is a excellent idea! I'll try these as soon as I get my game since I find it silly that the investigators know exactly which room is locked the moment they step into a unknown mansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Sushiboy wrote:
FFG obviously felt that players should know which rooms are locked, since they could easily have made all card backs the same.

Indeed, the lock image on the back of the lock exploration cards does serve an important game purpose. Investigators who move into a room are not compelled to explore it. They could just be passing through the room on the way to another one, or entering it to use some object there like a hiding place or moveable bookcase. Consequently, a lock card could go unnoticed until someone decided to do an explore action unless the Keeper had a particularly good memory and was alert enough to interrupt the player's turn to say the door was locked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NappyPlayer wrote:
Sushiboy wrote:
FFG obviously felt that players should know which rooms are locked, since they could easily have made all card backs the same.

Indeed, the lock image on the back of the lock exploration cards does serve an important game purpose. Investigators who move into a room are not compelled to explore it. They could just be passing through the room on the way to another one, or entering it to use some object there like a hiding place or moveable bookcase. Consequently, a lock card could go unnoticed until someone decided to do an explore action unless the Keeper had a particularly good memory and was alert enough to interrupt the player's turn to say the door was locked.

No. As explained in the "rules" for the exploration token use, the token is flipped over when an investigator attempts to enter a room, not when he explores it.

Thematically, you could say that flipping the token over reveals to the investigator what they can see on a quick glance around the room (or in the case of lock cards, that the door is locked).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Chris,

Apologies, I just read your rules and can see that the lock image would be superfluous. Now that I understand it better, I think I may very well use your markers in my own games.

Why have an "Elder Sign" for the randomly distributed exploration cards though? Wouldn't that tell the player that the room was not one of the "important" ones for this story? Why not just have a "?" on the back instead of a number? That way every room would look identical.

[EDIT] Ignore my last paragraph - I see you've thought of that too! Eye symbols upwards for complete "Fog of War" - or should that be "Fog of Horror!

Top marks for original thinking mate!

By the way, a variant of your idea for when you want to set up the game as much as possible before taking it round to a friend's to play would be to put the room seed cards into small envelopes with the room name on the front. You wouldn't even need the markers then as you could read the room name off the map tile and then open the appropriate envelope, taking care not to disturb the order the cards were placed in the envelope. You'd need envelopes that were small enough to prevent the cards moving around in transit though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very interesting idea. Or perhaps not so interesting an idea.

The funny thing, its pretty clear that FFG went through a whole lot of trouble and made setting up the game a bit of a nightmare to specifically NOT do this with Mansions of Madness. That could mean that there's a really good reason for the game setup as is. Or it could mean FFG really had no clue what they are doing. Or possibly that the designers had read way too many forbidden books researching for Mansions and had already gone mad.

I'm kind of leaning to the third interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
This is a very interesting idea. Or perhaps not so interesting an idea.

The funny thing, its pretty clear that FFG went through a whole lot of trouble and made setting up the game a bit of a nightmare to specifically NOT do this with Mansions of Madness. That could mean that there's a really good reason for the game setup as is. Or it could mean FFG really had no clue what they are doing. Or possibly that the designers had read way too many forbidden books researching for Mansions and had already gone mad.

I'm kind of leaning to the third interpretation.

I imagine the reason is simply because doing it the way it's done in the rules-as-written is slightly simpler and doesn't take *that* much away from the gameplay or mystery element, so they decided to go with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I imagine the reason is simply because doing it the way it's done in the rules-as-written is slightly simpler and doesn't take *that* much away from the gameplay or mystery element, so they decided to go with that.

Quite so. Lots of designers have a concept of a "Complexity Budget" which they try to stay within. Adding a rule for this or that requires you to simplify something else to stay within your complexity budget.

It could have also come out of playtesting. You should always be careful before you "house rule" something without playtesting it first. Maybe the playtesters found the game was too difficult without a little help in the form of some pretty obvious hints as to which rooms are important (the locked ones) and which not.

You can argue that the designers missed a trick by having the cards in the rooms but where do you stop? If you are going to keep the exploration cards off map, why stop there? Why not just place the Foyer map tile and only place other map tiles as the investigators explore the house? Probably because the game would take so long to play you'd rarely ever finish it - not to mention the fact clues leading to a particular room are pretty meaningless unless you assume the investigators went in armed with an architect's blueprint of the house (successful pre-game library check?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I found the first scenario virtually impossible to win with 1 or 2 investigators (see another thread on this) I think it would make it totally impossible to win scenario 1 if you couldn't see which doors were lccked, and therefore likely to contain the clues you need!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.