Subject: Can you bake bread during a harvest? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ironic Teach
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you have a fireplace or cooking hearth can you bake bread as part of the feeding phase during the harvest or only when you place a worker on the bake bread action during a round?

I need some help. I have two gaming groups who play this two different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You can only bake bread when you take an action which includes "Bake Bread" (and you must have an improvement with the "bread" icon on it, too). So, no, you can't do that during the harvest, because you are not placing workers during the harvest.

There is an occupation or minor improvement (I forget the name) which gives you the ability to bake bread for free at the start of the harvest. That's the only exception that I know of.

Being able to bake bread for free during each harvest would really take some of the tension out of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only bake bread when you place a worker on the "bake bread" action during a round. That is why the Fireplaces and Cooking Hearths specify that you can convert animals and vegetables to food at any time - this can be done during the harvest.

There are minor improvements and occupations that allow you to bake bread at other times but without these, you always need to take the bake bread action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
IronicTeAch wrote:
If you have a fireplace or cooking hearth can you bake bread as part of the feeding phase during the harvest or only when you place a worker on the bake bread action during a round?

You can only bake grain when you take a baking action. This will be either A) "Sow & Bake" in the Stage One array, B) "Bake bread" in the family version (the space directly above Day Laborer), C) when you purchase a Major (or Minor) Improvement that specifically states that you can take a baking action, or D) when you have played an Occupation (such as the Baker) that specifically allows you to bake during harvest-time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
IronicTeAch wrote:

You can only bake grain when you take a baking action. This will be either A) "Sow & Bake" in the Stage One array, B) "Bake bread" in the family version (the space directly above Day Laborer), C) when you purchase a Major (or Minor) Improvement that specifically states that you can take a baking action, or D) when you have played an Occupation (such as the Baker) that specifically allows you to bake during harvest-time.

To be clear, this list is far from complete. There are a number of other occs/minor improvements that trigger a "bake bread" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris is correct. I thought I'd covered those in C) and D), but was perhaps not quite specific enough. The main point, for the OP's sake, is that baking is not an "at will" action like cooking animals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.