Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received the game on Friday, so we managed to arrange a 3 player (2 investigator) game for Saturday. I would advise to set aside a good amount of time for initial setup on the first game. I had read the rulebook and it was very easy to explain as the investigators really don't have a lot to learn, but setting up the board took quite some time. Once it's set up, however, it plays very smooth with very little board management or downtime, very unlike it's sister game.

Investigators chose Joe Diamond and Kate Winthrop, and we selected the 'Blood Ties' scenario. Both investigators went their separate ways start, and managed to secure weapons fairly quickly. At the same time I began to spawn corpse tokens, then zombies in the nearby cemetery, eventually sending 3 zombies at them shortly before a Mi-Go appeared on the other side of the board. Though a couple of the zombies were taken down quickly, both of their weapons were lost due to mythos cards.

Weaponless and facing a horde of undead, they did all they could and ran into the underground area of the board, eventually figuring out their goal (which I will not detail so as to not create spoilers). Needless to say when they found out their objective I was 2/3rds of the way to completing mine and the pressure was on. Both half dead and and half mad they had one more round before I was to claim victory and, through a very lucky card draw and attack roll, managed to push back the darkness at the very last moment. I certainly wasn't expecting it, and the come from behind victory was tense and fun for all.

Very excited with the first play and tonight I'll be playing again with my wife. Two investigators seemed a little tough for the players but balanced, so I think that will be our choice for a 2 player game. I will post another session report detailing the next session. I was expecting a fun and thematic game, but this exceeded expectations - the designer clearly made a game with the intent of capturing the feel of Lovecraftian stories or Call of Cthulhu campaigns that Arkham Horror lacks. This is a great one to have in the collection.

[Image removed as it was declined due to excess glare or some nonsense. Will upload a new one from our game tonight.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oshio wrote:
[Image removed as it was declined due to excess glare or some nonsense. Will upload a new one from our game tonight.]

You can always upload images to your user gallery instead. The only differences: They won't show up in the game gallery, and you won't get for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played the first scenario the investigators got stuck in the kitchen storage because the kitchen was on fire and they kept failing their will checks and then to top it when they did get out rolled 3x10,s in 4 rolls in combat. They had only explored one board when I won!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you may have played this incorrectly. On page 15, describing the horror check for fire, it says

"An investigator must test his Willpower in order to enter the
room. If he fails, he takes 1 horror. Regardless of the result, he
may then enter the room. Once in the room, the investigator
does not need to test his Willpower to move to a different
space in the same room."

TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.