United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro

When I began looking up this game to purchase I realized that there was very little strategy on the different races in the game. Not really a problem, but something that I thought I could remedy, as my friends and I are quickly finding this to be one of our favorite games.

While I am not the greatest tactician out there, and I have not played hundreds of games, I have spent some time looking at the races, their strengths and their weaknesses.

Any questions or comments, feel free to let me know. I am by no means the be-all authority on this game, and other combos or strategy that others have I would love to hear. Just please be gentle, I bruise easily

Fire Goblin: Overall
Burn, baby, burn! The Fire Goblin are all about one thing: Destroying Free cards! If you wish to rain destruction down upon your enemies, then these are the boys (and girls) to do it! They also have a decent amount of focus on building up their own alternate win condition.
Strengths:
-Destroying
Pretty simple, really. 8 cards (not counting duplicates) that destroy other cards. That’s easily way more than any other race. Fire Goblins love gaining card advantage by simply destroying all other cards that are out there.
-Card Draw
The Fire Goblins are certainly no Goban, but make no mistake, they can hold their own when it comes down to cards. Fire Goblin AMMO gives you the possibility for 4 cards, 2 in and 2 when mutated. Fact, Ideo and Garsh can all grab you 3 cards upon entering the battlefield!

Weaknesses:
-Protected Cards
Lets be honest, although they are great for destroying cards, they are not great at destroying protected cards. What this means is that those pesky cards that are the cornerstone for your opponents army, they will often stay at the left, protected and hidden.

-Mutations
You really don’t want to be mutating Fire Goblins a lot, which is somewhat of a problem. While Fire Goblins can be great, most of their abilities involved ETB (Enter the Battlefield) effects. Once they’re in, they are little more than paperweights. Which means you need to either use your valuable cards to mutate them, which is usually pretty expensive, or use your own destroy abilities to destroy them, which is a waste.

Level 1
Very average level 1. Some good (Sniper) some bad (AK-52), along with an average number of mutations (3)

Fire Goblin AK-52
Mutate:n/a
A: Discard X cards from your hand then choose a level X FREE card and destroy it.
-I originally had that this guy was just sub-par. I take it back. He's bad. The best thing you could do with him would be to kill your own Favre (Alpha Goblin) while your Dawn is in play. That nets you 1 card. Which is less than if you spent both your activation tokens on getting 3 cards. I had an opponent use this guy the other night...he didn't win.

Explosive Fire Goblin
Mutate:3
When Explosive Fire Goblin mutates, choose 1 FREE card then destroy it and take the Advantage Token.
-The power behind Explosive FG is that he can destroy any level Free. There are few cards that can do that, and none of them are at level 1. He is slightly above average in costs, but can easily make up for it by destroying a powerful level 2 or 3.

Fire Goblin A.M.M.O
Mutate:2
When the Fire Goblin AMMO comes into play and when he mutates, draw 1(+1) card.
-Pure card advantage. At only 2 to mutate, this guy brings with him 2 bonus cards, regardless of what you mutate him into. That’s not a bad deal.

Fire Goblin Sniper
When the Fire Goblin Sniper comes into play, choose up to 2 “Level 1” FREE cards then destroy them.
-Holy mother! That’s not a misprint! With 2 destroys at your disposal, you can have all sorts of fun. He can be used to destroy one of your goblins, to free up valuable space, or multiple opponents. And if you send him in while you have your level 3 Dawn in play, he brings along just enough cards for a mutation as well!

Fire Goblin Teleporter
When the Fire Goblin Teleporter comes into play, choose an opponent. He must discard 1 card from his hand while you draw 1 card. When the Fire Goblin Teleporter mutates, take the Advantage Token
-Whoopee? I guess? Discard 1, draw 1 is weaker than other abilities of its type, and with 1 exception the Fire Goblins have little need for the Advantage token. I would easily play him at a 1 mutation, but 2 is simply too much.

Level 2
Although you end up paying for it, every single Level 2 in the Fire Goblin army can mutate. That's far more than the Dark Goblins and Gobans. And while there are only 2 activations between the 7 of them, most of them come with ETB abilities.

Garsh, Ideo and Fact
Mutate: 3
When Garsh, etc comes into play, choose 1 “Level 1” or “Level 2” FREE card then destroy it. OR Draw 2(+1) cards.
-Just to clarify, there are in fact 3 characters with the exact same abilities at level 2. Boring? Yes. Good? Yes. While not OMGAMAZING! All three of these guys are solid. Each can draw enough cards to replace themselves in a mutation, and each can destroy something of significance.

Erxast
Mutate:4
When Erxast comes into play, choose an opponent. He must discard 1(+1) card from his hand while you draw 1 (+1) card.
-Erxast is a great card to put into the end of your 2nd level. This leaves him out in the open, right where he can be destroyed. His greatest use will be in bothering an opponent with a low hand of cards. Just try to make it so you don’t have to pay to mutate him.

Dom
A:Invert 2 cards of the same Level in the army of your choice. If you have the Advantage Token, also choose 1 FREE card then destroy it.
-Dom is the only character in the game with the “invert” keyword, which is a disappointment (there are more coming though). Dom is a perfectly fine card, albeit a little slow. The fact that he(she?) lets you kill any level when you have the advantage token is certainly significant. The fact that it’s a Fire Goblin that’s useful after coming into play is even more significant. Not the best Level 2 in the army, but solid. Get this card into play, then mutate that Explosive Goblin into a Sniper Goblin, then follow it up with this card. 4 destroys in 2 turns!

Dallister
When Dallister comes into play, choose 1(+1) FREE card then destroy it.
-If you start off losing the first Great Battle, there’s a good chance it’s because of Dallister. Killing any 2 FREE monsters of Any rank is quite brutal and can easily be the difference between a loss and a victory at the end of the round.

Dynamite
Mutate: 2
A: Return 1 (+1) “Fact, “Garsh”, “Ideo” or “Walror” card from the discard pile to your hand. If you have the Advantage Token, an take an extra turn after this one.
-If you are playing and activating Dynamite, then are you probably going for an alternate win condition. His ability is relevant even if you’re not, just slightly predictable, making the power of this card less because of it. He can certainly be a powerhouse, just make sure to keep him protected.

Level 3
This group of Level 3's come with one of the only Level 3's I'm excited to play, Dawn.

Dawn
Overall: When a player destroys a card, he may draw 1 card.
-You want Dawn down early and you want to use him often. While more vulnerable then similar cards in other races (Meka Goblin Scout and Dark Goblins Kao)Dawn is nevertheless powerful. He will be more powerful the earlier you get him down, and a turn of Mutate Exploding Goblin into Goblin Sniper will make you grin from ear to ear.

Lipsy
When Lipsy comes into play the player(s) with the lowest # of victory points draw 2 cards.
-Just to be clear, every race has a level 3 with this exact same ability. Slightly underwhelming as the Fire Goblins have 3 Level 2’s that gain 3 cards when entering, and a Level 1 that gains 2 when entering and Mutating! Couple that with the fact that she's a Level 3 in a race of Level 3 powerhouses and you get a card that is underwhelming.

Walror
Overall: At any time during the game, if a player has simultaneously “Garsh”, “Fact” and “Ideo” in his army, he wins the game immediately.
-I imagine there are those who will say that Walror isn’t that powerful, because he can be a dead card so many times, which is true. But when he’s not a dead card, he’s an “I win” card, which I consider prett powerful. Just make sure you reveal him at the last possible moment. I’ve found that players tend to forget about Goblins who don’t continually impact the board (like Garsh, Fact and Ideo), which can make slamming this guy a big surprise.

Conclusion
-The Fire Goblins are not without their weaknesses, but anyone who enjoys blowing things up and cackling maniacally will certainly want to give them a try. However, you must think before playing them as their overall higher mutation cost can come back to haunt you. Still, most people will find a place somewhere in their army for the burning red.

Best Cards:
Dallister, Dom and Fire Goblin AMMO
-Dallister lets you destroy any 2 FREE cards out there, I think it’s pretty obvious how good he is. Dom can expose protected cards and repeatedly destroy them. Finally, AMMO gives 4 cards on 2 activations, which is always fun.

Worst Cards:
Fire Goblin Teleporter, Fire Goblin AK-52, Erxast
-Bad cards with bad abilities that give you card disadvantage. Erxast is the main exception as he does have more uses than the others. But a 4-cost mutation is higher than even Zombie Mutations, and I have to mutate into a card I have! That makes this a 5-cost mutation with little upside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
This is a nice run through. Just felt like throwing in my two cents.

I'm sorry that I am going to have to disagree with you on this a lot more than your Goban post. I do agree that AK-52 is really not good. Dallister is obviously the best fire card period and AMMO is very solid. Now is where we differ.

I don't like Dom much at all. If you have a lot of Goban and Fire you have precious few ways to get the Advantage Token back. Without it Dom just doesn't do enough. I'd rather have Garsh, Fact, Ideo any day of the week. Goban and Fire are the only colors to have free drawing, which is so very important to catching back up if you are behind. I also really like Erxast (and Time) a lot. I hate to mutate him in, but when you are behind and play him for free he is a wrecking ball netting a 4 card swing (same as Justice). This can be even more devastating if you have emptied their hand or forced them to discard things they were setting up for next turn.

I also don't hate Teleporter (and duplicates) that much. Sure they are no Visionary but it is still a two card swing and you can get the Advantage if you just have to have it. A lot of times I'll end up bringing AMMO in so really I am just switching out crap I can't use plus setting up for next turn or for a bonus off of Fiddler (eg).

My personal strategy is to have lots of different clans but I always try to have a level 1 Goban and level 1 Fire in my army. So much good free card drawing in level 2 and the bonuses if you are behind.

Just our observations after about 50 2-player games.
Interested to see your list on the other three.
Thanks for taking the time.

-Rosco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Fire Goblins have the least disparity in their "middle". By that I mean that the 2 best and 2 worst are probably set, there is no debate there. But the others? I think it's very easy to disagree on them. And I would say that I'm sure my opinions of them will change as well. Garsh, Fact and Ideo are all fantastic and are all amazing, I'm just a fan of Goblins that I can get continued value out of. No problems if you feel otherwise. I could easily see people calling some of the Level 3's the worst. My main goal for these things is that newbies who come in can hopefully start to see some of the connections that the races bring with each other. Hopefully that'll really show up when I talk about the Meca's.

Also, I have a tendency to value discard a little bit lower than I should (it's an inherent weakness). I forget that discard is still a form of card advantage, and it has certainly wrecked me many a time. This should definitely be considered when looking at some of the fires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniper is a powerhouse and probably too good in a 3+ player game. Since I only play with two usually, he's still excellent in that he's 2 cards advantage (if you kill a level 1 that an opponent paid two cards for). After Sniper, I would consider Teleporter or A.M.M.O. to be the next best, depending on if you're behind or not and if you're trying to limit hand sizes due to Kameo or not. Explosive is better (you have to pay 3 cards but then you kill up to a lvl 3 and have a new goblin in play) than the AK (to kill a lvl 3 you pay 3 cards and an activation token when I consider to be 2 - 3 cards... he stinks)

Lvl 2: Erxast = Garsh, Ideo and Fact > Dallister > Dynamite > Dom

I'm all about card Advantage. Dynamite can get back card drawers which is nice and has a lower mutation cost.

Lvl 3's are completely ho hum. I think I've only see one Walror win in about 45 games... in terms of goblins that net you wins, Temuchan, Kameo and Victhory are way more prominent.

Rosco: You're wrong, Green can be a good card drawer. Think recruiter, he'll on average net 2 - 3 cards (50 lvl 1's in a 100 card deck) but with the added benefit of being able to search 2's (35 lvl 2's which should net you 1 - 2 cards) or lvl 3's if you're very desperate.

Shaman net's you a card search (not just a card... Temuchan or Labdad anyone?) and will on average make your activation tokens worth 2 - 3 cards instead of one.

Sol: Doesn't allow you to draw cards but is amazing in card advantage. 2 card advantage with his mutation cost not including any disparity in discards when he's played.

I could go on but Jon hasn't post about the Alpha's yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Let's not start any silly flame war. Firstly, I am not wrong and neither is anyone else. We are all just offering opinions. This is a great game and fun to talk about.

I do disagree on your opinion of Dallister. You claim Sniper is excellent but he usually just lets you kill a level 1 they played for free. He is also mainly only good in round 1 (maybe two). Dallister can kill any level and can get a 2 and 3 if you are behind. He is good the whole game and always kill anything you need killed. I am never sad to draw him.

In general we are not yet talking about Alpha (green) but in general it is not a great card drawer. Yes, Recruiter can draw you 2.5 cards on average, but that isn't guaranteed. It can pick up any 2s or 3s that you may need but not at the same 2.5 average. (BTW, I think Recruiter is the #1 card in Alpha). Shaman and Guardian can draw you cards as well but again only if you had played down below 3 or have lots of Alpha in those exact columns AND they require an activation token. When I play Fact, I draw 2 (or 3) no matter my hand size or board layout, regardless of having tokens. That is the context of my comments about Fire (and Goban) being great card drawers.

Let the mutation continue.
-Rosco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.