10 Posts

Tide of Iron» Forums » General

Subject: Plastic tanks etc a bit tatty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ijust bought ToI and on unboxing it was a bit 'hmm' about the state of some of the plastic bits. I wasn't expecting Space Hulk 3rd ed quality, but the bendy tank barrels and suchlike were a bit of a let-down. Some of the trucks seem to even have sort of warped chassis too.

Is this normal, or have I got a bad copy?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On mine the German Opel Trucks are all hump backed. As for the droopy barrels on the tanks, I heated up a pot of boiling water and dropped in 4 tanks at a time and watched as the barrels magically straightened out and then plucked them out with a pair of pliers. That was about a year ago, some of the tanks, mostly the Tigers, have started to droop again but I'm sure boiling them will fix it once more.

The trucks I haven't come up with a solution for. I suppose one could chop them in half and super glue them back together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You expect alot from your Chineese toys don't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyscott1 wrote:
You expect alot from your Chineese toys don't you?

I definitely get your point, but a good response from his side would be that his Chinese toys didn't come at a Chinese price...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think TOI and Memoir '44 are a couple of relatively few games which actually give good value for the retail price. The boxes are not mostly full of fresh air.

Tank barrels can be a bit wonky, but by the time they've been painted they look terrific.

I would sooner rail against those many games which sell the equivalent of an air guitar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm take a modelling knife and some superglue to them tonight. I'm sure they'll look better with the excess sprue etc trimmed off. Cheers for the boiling water trick.

Now if I can just find a goid supplier of small ziplock baggies in this town...

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. So I just spent a happy evening putting the bits in orderly rows, counting them (1 too few German infantry but 1 too many German elite infantry!), trimming them and putting them into baggies. During this relaxing time, I experoemced a growinf sense that this game is going to be a lot of fun.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better than ziplock bags for this game is to use fishing tackle, plano, or arts and crafts divider boxes. I have 5. One each for the British, Germans and Americans plus one for all the tanks and a fifth for the markers. All of them stack in the main box except for the largest one that I keep all the markers in. Makes the game go a lot smoother when every thing is sorted and quick to get to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd need more than 5, and of different sizes too. I have to have each type in its own container, and containers must have as little wasted space as possible. So the US infantry are in a medium-sized baggie, the US elite infantry are separate in a very small baggie, the half-tracks are in their own, etc. Same goes for the various tokens etc. I'll be setting up and putting away on my own, most probably, which I usually find very relaxing.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out a crafting store like Michael's and such right now. They are having killer sales on crafting boxes. I picked up 2 large boxes and was able to sort and organize my TOI pieces and all my expansion pieces. Since I did my sorting it takes very little time to set up a scenario now.
See you on the battlefield!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.