Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Endeavor» Forums » General

Subject: Turn order for 2P game. Also looking for recommendations vs Merkator. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumazarok wrote:
I have read the rules for both the official and the "faster, gentler" two player variants of Endeavor. Neither set of rules mentions turn order, which would seem to indicate that the starting player marker is passed at the end of each round.

I'd be interesting in hearing arguments on both sides of the Endeavor vs Merkator question.

Yes, we pass the marker, so technically that's two turns in a row. Very often it doesn't really feel like that, in the sense that next turn you get a new building and can do something you couldn't the previous turn, so it still feels like a fresh turn.

Endeavor is excellent, even with 2 players.

I haven't played Merkator, it's just not very interesting to me, and the feedback from others has certainly confirmed that it's not worth searching out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your preferred games, I'd say Merkator is the better option for you. Endeavor can have a fair bit of direct conflict, and the fact that you list Hansa Teutonica as a fav means you don't mind a dry theme (one of the most common complaints about Merk) and listing Loyang means you don't mind a calculation-based procedural game (the other main complaint about Merk )

But they're both fantastic 2p games, my wife and I enjoy them both a lot.

Also, regarding the Agricola stressfulness, you should consider trying it 2p with the "official" variant proposed by the designer where you add the 3p "take 1 resource + 1 other resource of your choice" card to the 2p game. Makes things a bit more open...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
This turn order thing has me confused. How can there be two turns in a row if you don't pass on the first player marker, and how can there be two turns in a row if you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't pass the marker:
Player 1
Player 2
-
Player 1
Player 2
-
Player 1
Player 2

Pass the marker:
Player 1
Player 2
-
Player 2
Player 1
-
Player 1
Player 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But you don't necessarily get two turns in a row, and you might get three or more turns in a row. After one player passes, the other player might take more than one turn, depending on how many disks they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randall's point is a good one (and the reason why this never seems a problem when we play) , in this game player A could have 5 actions in a given round, and player B might have only 3, so any attempt to "alternate" turns is going to fail.

Round 4:
A
B
A
B
A
B
A
A

Now, normally B would go first next round, but if you "normalized" this by keeping A first, you'd end up actually extending A's streak of turns to 3 in a row, instead of just 2.

A
B
A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ley Brown
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Merk vs. Endeavor. I own both Merkator and Endeavor (as well as HT, PR (my favorite game), and Gric). I feel like you do about Gric. I think Merk probably works better as a two player game than Endeavor because the area control is important to End, but it does not come into play quite as much in 2 play. Also, Merk seems to play a little more quickly; both games can be prone to AP, if any players have those tendencies. I have played End many more times than Merk so have more informed opinion there. Ult in End you need to pay attention to all tracks, much like in Gric, despite the appearance otherwise. While there are not as many ways to score in Merk, it seems that you could follow fairly distinct paths--going for bunches of goods, turning over contracts quickly, a very particular building strategy--though it still requires a little of all of these. End has a more integrated theme, though Merk has more of a merchant feel than HT. Based on your info, I would lean toward Merk because of the two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.