Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
Hi all:
I want to like this game-gameplay's short, easy to teach/learn and involves certain strategies and all that-played it once but just seem unable to convince myself getting it (as I always choose Thunderstone and its expansions over it)-yet I still can't get it off my head! One thing I don't understand about this game though, the objective of the game is just trying to accumulate the most VPs. So what's the point of playing all the other action cards? Somebody please convince me into this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you just buy only Victory cards and demonstrate the superiority of your approach? Either you win, or you learn something, so you come out ahead either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a hand management game -- you start with a rather anemic deck, and build it by purchasing progessively more expensive and powerful cards (you cannot buy the largest victory cards with your starting hand).

I had heard LOTS about Dominion, and finally had the chance to play it at our Game Night -- I was instantly hooked, and bought the Basic Set and Intrigue that week! I have since introduced it to over a dozen friends, and they have ALL loved it :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
One thing I don't understand about this game though, the objective of the game is just trying to accumulate the most VPs. So what's the point of playing all the other action cards? Somebody please convince me into this game.

Here's something I don't understand about soccer. You just have to kick the ball into the net, right? So what's the point in kicking it in any other direction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the game. If you like it then buy it, if not then don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I nominate theory for the "Perfect Analogy of the Month" award. Seriously, try to find a flaw in that analogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with trying to kick the ball directly at the goal is that your opponents will get in the way.

The problem with immediately buying VP is that it over optimizes short term gains over future gains. Your opponents aren't going to be able to block your first turn estate buy.

A more apt analogy is something like, I want to go 10 km west, but my car is 50 meters to the east. I will proceed to walk directly to the west, since for 30 seconds, I will be ahead of my alternate car driving self.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I nominate rrenaud for the "Perfect Pedant of the Month" award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
Somebody please convince me into this game.

Why? If you really wanted an answer to your questions, you could have easily found many, many strategy and review threads. If you play Thunderstone, you understand the basics of deck-building, and I don't buy the sincerity of your question about action cards. If you're just setting up an opportunity to argue with people who like the game about the reasons they like the game, there's a word for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:

Play it here if you want to actually give it a shot.

That said, needing to be convinced to like Dominion tells me that you don't actually like Dominion. Personally, I don't buy games I don't like, which is a variation on my cardinal rules #1 (don't listen to terrible music) and #2 (don't watch terrible movies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
djgutierrez77 wrote:
charlesting wrote:

Why? If you really wanted an answer to your questions, you could have easily found many, many strategy and review threads. If you play Thunderstone, you understand the basics of deck-building, and I don't buy the sincerity of your question about action cards. If you're just setting up an opportunity to argue with people who like the game about the reasons they like the game, there's a word for that.

I'm not trying to argue anything--I'm just looking into some games to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
charlesting wrote:

I'm not trying to argue anything--I'm just looking into some games to get.

If you like Thunderstone, get Dominion. It's the game that Thunderstone is based on, except the original Dominion is much cleaner, more developed, and plays faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
One thing I don't understand about this game though, the objective of the game is just trying to accumulate the most VPs. So what's the point of playing all the other action cards? Somebody please convince me into this game.

That, for me, is one of the really elegant things about Dominion. It IS definitely about the VPs - AT THE END OF THE GAME.

You start with just crap, and the idea is to build some sort of "engine" that will get you the VPs at the end of the game. That is where the Money, Actions, Attacks etc come in.

But the elegant thing is this : TIMING.

Wait too long to start buying VPs, and you will lose. Buy too early, and you will lose. You have to know exactly when to start the VP rush, and that is different with every set of cards.

I couldn't tell you how many times I play exactly the game I want. I have an absolutely perfect hand, great engine to buy VPs, and I end up with 1 province (out of 12). So my perfect engine took too long to build, and some doofus with 2 villages and 2 council rooms whooped me. Better try again. And again, and again.

And therein lies the hook. Building the better engine. Sure I lost, but "Let's play that set again.. I have a new plan this time ... "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
elkabong wrote:
charlesting wrote:

That, for me, is one of the really elegant things about Dominion. It IS definitely about the VPs - AT THE END OF THE GAME.

You start with just crap, and the idea is to build some sort of "engine" that will get you the VPs at the end of the game. That is where the Money, Actions, Attacks etc come in.

Wait too long to start buying VPs, and you will lose. Buy too early, and you will lose. You have to know exactly when to start the VP rush, and that is different with every set of cards.

I couldn't tell you how many times I play exactly the game I want. I have an absolutely perfect hand, great engine to buy VPs, and I end up with 1 province (out of 12). So my perfect engine took too long to build, and some doofus with 2 villages and 2 council rooms whooped me. Better try again. And again, and again.

And therein lies the hook. Building the better engine. Sure I lost, but "Let's play that set again.. I have a new plan this time ... "

In other words, you WILL be spending LOTS of time studying these cards/fuguring out these plans because that's where the high replayability/addiction of this game comes from. But once you get it, the game becomes stale (it's what some of you are sayin')

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
elkabong wrote:
charlesting wrote:

In other words, you WILL be spending LOTS of time studying these cards/fuguring out these plans because that's where the high replayability/addiction of this game comes from. But once you get it, the game becomes stale (it's what some of you are sayin')

I'd call that a radical interpretation of the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pseudonym
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
elkabong wrote:
charlesting wrote:

If you play a randomly generated set, the game won't get stale since each time you play it's a different combination of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axxle wrote:
charlesting wrote:
elkabong wrote:
charlesting wrote:

If you play a randomly generated set, the game won't get stale since each time you play it's a different combination of cards.

There are only 1239028753920949820344 combinations of possible kingdom arrangements. That seems like it would get stale quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
89196105660948, but who's counting?

178392211321896 if you include the option of Platinum/Colony, but sadly, only 2497473260425 if you abide by "0 or 3-5 alchemy" and only allow Platinum/Colony if there's at least one Prosperity card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are currently 116 Kingdom cards, including promos.

116 choose 10 = 81,572,506,886,508

The thing about including 3-5 Alchemy cards is explicitly a recommendation, while the Colony/Platinum rule is not. Accounting for Colony/Platinum, you get:

That is, until Cornucopia is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:

Oh, bugger, I had 117. I was skimming a card list that had 13 Alchemy cards because it listed Potion in the middle of the Kingdom cards.

But wait... we've forgotten to configure the Black Market deck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
There are currently 116 Kingdom cards, including promos.

116 choose 10 = 81,572,506,886,508

The thing about including 3-5 Alchemy cards is explicitly a recommendation, while the Colony/Platinum rule is not. Accounting for Colony/Platinum, you get:

That is, until Cornucopia is released.

Just to be completely transparent, I was making up my numbers for irony.

Maybe it would have been funnier if I had used a a bigger number, or did it on a site where "geek" is not in the URL. Maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Just to be completely transparent, I was making up my numbers for irony.

Maybe it would have been funnier if I had used a a bigger number, or did it on a site where "geek" is not in the URL. Maybe not.

Yeah, your absurd number wasn't absurd enough.

For my part, I probably should have quoted the post above mine, because that's what inspired me to join in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, deciding on the exact number is a moot point, perspective is more important.

I am 25 now, if I die at 80, I have some 20,000 days left.

With 156,718,112,493,723 possible combinations, I have to play 7,835,905,624 games per day to try every different combination. That's over 5 games per minute for the rest of my life and I'm not even sleeping, eating or doing anything other than playing Dominion!

It is true however that kingdom sets can easily be categorized into groups and there aren't that many differences per group. I would doubt that replacing Pawns with Pearl Divers has an astonishing impact on a high number of games.

Most kingdom sets are dominated by the cards with higher costs. A set with Goons will likely have most players rush to get one as soon as possible. A set with Laboratories almost always spawns a rush to get the most of them, Minions likewise. Games with Torturers and King's Courts can be really brutal.

The most fun games however have players going for different strategies. One player can go full throttle for Cities, trying to empty the pile to get a bonus and his opponent can try to grasp as many Provinces as possible before the City player shifts into high gear.

I'm sure Theory (with almost 1000 games on Isotropic) still has some a-ha moments every once and a while with certain sets. Moreover, micro-optimization becomes even more important in the upper echelons of the leaderboard. Let's assume you have $6 early and can get the first Laboratory or a quick Gold, which do you choose?

It's just like poker where during one hand you can have all the bad luck in the world, but you still have to make decisions based on the long run. You have to trust luck to even out in the end and at that point you will see those long term decisions paying off.

I would say you have barely scratched the surface of Dominion and encourage you to look harder and play some games against more skilled opponents. Why do you think Magic: The Gathering is so popular?

Some psychology here may also explain the finesses of learning something new. There are four stages of learning (excuse the bad translations, English is not my native language, Dutch is).

1. Unknown Inept: This is the stage in which you are just playing around, not having any clue about consequences of your actions. Things happen, but you do not know why they happen. When learning a new game, this is often what happens. I played Dvonn this week with a friend and beat him and don't have any idea how I did it. I was confused most of the time and just moved the pieces around in a seemingly random order. Only later I noticed some key moves I could win the game with, but how I came to that stage was pure luck.

2. Known Inept: You are beginning to understand you've been living in the dark for a long time. You are beginning to see that your strategy doesn't work against more experienced players even though you can't exactly understand why.

3. Known Adept: Your deduction skills have taught you that some early game choices gain long term effects which can help you beat your opponent. Chapeling those starting Estates to the graveyard and still beating your opponent while starting with a 3 point deficit was very satisfying. You have to think long and hard why certain choices are better than others, you learn by trial and error and try to remember what worked in the past.

4. Unknown Adept: You no longer have to reason why some choices are better than others. You blindly buy a Chapel on most opening turns if it's available and invest more in Laboratories than in Gold because your experience teaches you it's the right choice.

When learning new games, we often start in the first stage. Sometimes it's hard to understand in the beginning what a good strategy will be in the end. Only after having played the game one or more times you begin understanding faux-pas and sneaky tactics.

I would consider myself to be at stage 3, often reasoning and trying (and often horribly failing) different strategies and the leaderboard giants like Theory to be somewhere between 3 and 4. I don't think 4 is attainable in practice, since it's a somewhat perfect 'Bliss' stage, but it's what we strive for nonetheless...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:

It takes MANY MANY MANY plays for it to approach staleness. Also it's easily expanded by the many expansions that have come out that introduce all kinds of new cards.

But even without the the expansions it still would take a while to get stale.

Also, you can try setting up your set of 10 cards, or go fully random, or find a good list off the internet. And even playing one setup again multiple times, the game is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base set alone can get stale, but it has more fresh-and-new replayability (100 plays or so) than most other games I own. Since the release of Intrigue the game hasn't remotely begun to approach staleness for me, after 2000-3000 plays.

Davio wrote:
Well, deciding on the exact number is a moot point

Nooooooooo, you don't say? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.