Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World: The Card Game is at the top of my list currently. But, I was curious if there were any others. He like Settlers, Stone Age, and games like Claustrophobia and Castle Ravenloft.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Railways of the World: The Card Game is at the top of my list currently. But, I was curious if there were any others. He like Settlers, Stone Age, and games like Claustrophobia and Castle Ravenloft.

Thanks!

why not ttr? With alvin and dexter, it's at least got monsters.
p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

Thanks!

why not ttr? With alvin and dexter, it's at least got monsters.
p

No reason really. I've played it to death. Just curious what else is out there in that "space".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the crayon rails would probably be a good introduction into pick up and deliver mechanisms. Railways of the World would probably work too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bross
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game for Railways of the World would probably not be too hard for him, especially if he is already playing games like Stone Age and Settlers.

It comes with 2 maps (a large Eastern US map and a small Mexico map) and the rules are not very difficult. It's definitely one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slugggy wrote:
The base game for Railways of the World would probably not be too hard for him, especially if he is already playing games like Stone Age and Settlers.

It comes with 2 maps (a large Eastern US map and a small Mexico map) and the rules are not very difficult. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Ya, I just watched a couple of videos on that. I think I'll try it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I generally prefer the more complicated train games from Winsome Games or a shorter 18xx, and Age of Steam (Railroad Tycoon/Railways of...) is generally my favorite, I would not recommend any of the above for a 10-year old (even if they are clever) as the systems are so unforgiving & the games are generally very long.

I think the following two would work really well:
Union Pacific or On the Underground

One could later branch into the aforementioned things (including possibly an entry from the also lengthy Crayon Rails series).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just re-read your original post; Railways of the World: The Card Game is a good choice too. It is a nice, quick cross of Railroad Tycoon & Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Spectral Rails will be coming out soon, and should fit right in with his tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Clippers. It's one of Alan Moon's route connection games but no luck involved this time. I bought a copy for 10 bucks on Amazon and am excited to give it a whirl.

Otherwise Homesteaders is a great game if he likes Euros. Not a train game but you do get to build a few rail lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If he can play settlers then he can play Railways of the World (the full game, not the card game). It's not a super complex game, just a little bit long, so as long as his attention span is good he can play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hying
United States
Pardeeville
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Express and it is really straight forward. It's kind of like if Ticket to Ride were a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan Histories: Settlers of America – Trails to Rails

You said he likes Settlers, and you want to add trains...

It's a bit longer than normal Settlers, but it's an enjoyable take on the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
Catan Histories: Settlers of America – Trails to Rails

You said he likes Settlers, and you want to add trains...

It's a bit longer than normal Settlers, but it's an enjoyable take on the system.

We have this and my 2 boys 11 and 9 liked it alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slugggy wrote:

Seconded - my son has been playing Railroad Tycoon/RotW w/ me since he was 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Garcia Perez
Spain
Malaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frachtexpress

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Empire Builder be too difficult for a bright kid that age? BGG users recommend it for ages 10+. I have no idea, as I have never played it. In fact, I just heard about it for the first time this week. The rules *sound* pretty straightforward, although its weight is quite high. Build track (just like TransAmerica). Then pick up stuff and deliver it for profit.

Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Would Empire Builder be too difficult for a bright kid that age? BGG users recommend it for ages 10+. I have no idea, as I have never played it. In fact, I just heard about it for the first time this week. The rules *sound* pretty straightforward, although its weight is quite high. Build track (just like TransAmerica). Then pick up stuff and deliver it for profit.

Just curious.

That's what Sorrellbo was talking about in the below quote. Empire Builder is the cornerstone Crayon Rails game.

Sorrellbo wrote:
Any of the crayon rails would probably be a good introduction into pick up and deliver mechanisms. Railways of the World would probably work too.

My answer is: yes, if the kid has a long enough attention span. There's nothing too difficult or complex for a bright ten year old, but the crayon rail games do take a long time.

The other question is whether you WANT the gaming to be an educational experience, or if the aroma of 'learning experience' in a game is likely to make the kid wonder if he's playing a game or getting a geography lesson. As rail games go, the fantasy-fiction setting in Iron Dragon would likely be more engaging for a young boy, if less enriching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:

Thanks!

TransAmerica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:

Fails the integral, titular requirement of being "not Ticket to Ride or Transamerica?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.