Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neal Rosen
United States
Wimauma
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am a 18XX newbie and I am having a hard time understanding the rules for revenue production, especially the difference between the countries gettings revenue and the kings getting revenue. I find the examples given in the rules to be particularly confusing - how are the revenues of 40 and 14 drachmas calculated? Can someone attempt to make revenue production more understandable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stefan f.
Germany
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello Neal,

40 Drachma is not calculated, it is printed on the board. It is a a fee the nations can pay if you want that the fleet visits the temple. After having paid the 40 Drachma and depending on the phase you can add to your shiprun 8/10/12/0.

The main point that you have to keep in mind is the strict distinction of "Athenai-money" and your money. Practically you let the Athenai spend 40 Drachma so that you get more money in your personal pocket.

At the end of the game the money of the Athenai is worth nothing for you. The only money that will count is your personal money (+Shares merchants).

Let's say you have 7 merchants and after this turn the game is over.

Athnai have 100 Drachma

Scenario A
You do as in the rules the result will be:

Athenai have 60 Drachma
You have 7 times 14 Drachma = 98 Drachma

Scenario B
You do not let the Athenai spend the money, the result will be:

Athenai have 100 Drachma
You have 7 times 6 Drachma = 42 Drachma

For the winning purposes the Athenai money is worthless.
So the player in A beats the player in B by 56 Drachma.

ciao
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
You're probably making it more complicated than you need to.

First figure out the value of your route. If you have a fleet with a range of 6 (three 2 ships for example), you may visit 6 of your trading posts and/or temples.

Lets assume you only visited trading posts this first time. Add up the numbers for each post visited to get the value of the route. Say that comes to 21.

Now you can either choose to pay out to Merchants or withhold. The merchant owners (players) will receive $21 for each merchant they own and your prestige value will increase. If you withhold revenues then the country earns money into its coffers based on the games phase ($200, $300 etc)

If that's clear then we can add temples to the mix. Temples are just bigger revenue generators. The temple at IOS requires that you stop there with your fleet (it counts against your range) and pay $40 from your country's coffers. If you do that, it counts as an additional $8 revenue in Phase 1, increasing to 10, 12 and 0 in later phases.

Payouts to merchant holders works the same whether you use a temple or don't.

I hope that clears things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
If you have a fleet with a range of 6 (three 2 ships for example), you may visit 6 of your trading posts and/or temples.

Just to pick a nit here, the range of your fleet is measured in hexes, not trading posts/temples. Your example works if the trading posts and temples lie along a contiguous line without traversing any empty hexes or revisiting hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.