Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m seeing my family this weekend, and my 10 yr old niece loves playing games with us. I can probably rustle up two gamers (my wife and I), my niece (10 yrs old) and possible my parents (non-gamers although happily give easy games a go).

I was thinking of picking up Ghost Stories to play whilst down there. Is this something a 10yr old would enjoy? What about my non-gamer parents. Is it simple enough to pick-up-and play without being bogged down with rules?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Ghost Stories is a great game, but definitely not for non-gamers.

You'd be better off with Forbidden Island or Pandemic instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, they're not completely non-gamers. They play games with us on occaison. We've done Pandemic, Evo, that horrid train one that everyone loves and even Peurto Rico (once)! So they're not totally at a loss, just don't normally play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Fox
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My nine-year-old son loves this game, but he likes all the monsters, ghosts and such. We have yet to win it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Fox
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they liked Pandemic, I think they would like this. Although it is much harder, it is also more thematic. With the tiles, it reminds me a little of Forbidden Island. The rules are easy to understand, although you have to remember what the different icons mean at first. As I said, though, you have to be prepared to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, that sounds good. Pandemic was a hit.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bratina
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure the artwork is suitable for a 10 year-old though, it looks pretty scary to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Edgar
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9 year old plays it and loves it (she's a regular with Pandemic and Evo too) - my 12 year old gets bored with it and doesn't play

I have a couple of 'semi-gamer' freinds who play it and enjoy. They play the occaisional game of Pandemic or Settlers of Catan. Its worth a try with non-gamers - as a collaborative game its easier for them to join in and be a part of the action. I think the issue is more about theme - some people take to it and others don't.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I did pick it up in the end. I can see why people were warning about the rules!! Hopefully I'll have them sussed by tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.