Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game and my gaming buddy

Court Stumpf
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am being drawn back into the black abyss of all things Lovecraft. I have embarked on a journey, or a descent into madness, which ever you prefer, of Lovecraft Literature and I’m currently going through some of the more popular Lovecraft stories and thoroughly enjoying the magnificent ramblings of the decadent and insane duo over at hppodcraft.com! Awesome work guys, really loving it!

Thanks to my overly obsessive nature, I have been compelled to re-acquire some Arkham Horror goodness, and am in the process of re-establishing my collection. Maybe this time around I will enjoy the game more now that I am fully immersed in Lovecraft’s world.

So, what I am trying to do is associate all of the expansions for AH to the stories they draw their inspiration from, some are obvious, others not so much.

Dunwich Horror – Obviously its namesake, “The Dunwich Horror”
Kingsport Horror – Wasn’t positive on this one but I am guessing “The Terrible Old Man”
Innsmouth Horror – Another obvious one, “The Shadow over Innsmouth”
Curse of The Dark Pharaoh – No idea!
The King in Yellow – I know TKI is Hastur, but I haven’t read any stories on Hastur yet and not sure if there’s one about a play, or the book that’s in this one
The Black Goat of The Woods – Again, no idea
The Lurker at The Threshold – yep, no clue, I believe the Lurker is Yog-Sothoth, but no idea which story its from

Any Lovecraft experts out there care to help me out with figuring these put? I’d love to read the stories these are based on before I play them as I am sure it would help with immersing myself into the game and enjoying that much more. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Black Goat of the Woods With A Thousand Young is another name for Shub-Niggurath, one of the Great Old Ones I believe, or maybe an Elder God like Azathoth.

Lurker At The Threshold was a story written by August Derleth, one of the major contributors to the Mythos.

Curse of the Dark Pharoah is just an Egyptian-themed set, I don't think it's directly tied to a particular story.

That's about all I got, hope this helps

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
The King in Yellow – This is not a Lovecraft story, but a Robert W Chambers collection of short stories that revolve around the King in Yellow play. This predates Lovecraft's stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KH: Strange High House in the Mist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the expansions are based more on the Chaosium Roleplaying campaigns (as were the earlier Mythos CCG).

-Curse of the Dark Pharoah is associated with the Masks of Nyarlathotep (1st & 2nd edition), but an applicable HPL story is the one he ghost-wrote for Harry Houdini - "Imprisoned with the Pharoahs"
-The King in Yellow is a work by Robert Chambers. Tatters of the King is a Campaign featuring a performance of the play. Se also "Tell Me, Have You Seen The Yellow Sign?", an adventure from the The Great Old Ones sourcebook.
-Shub-Niggurath is hardly mentioned by HPL, but is a key deity featuring in more recent writers works. Ramsay Campbell's series set in the severn Valley in Britain includes Shub-Niggurath worshippers.
-There is a story called the Lurker at the Threshold written by August Derleth after HPL's death- it's more of an avatar of Yog-Sothoth. Not a great story, but it is set just outside Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a single definitive Kingsport story. Read The Strange High House in the Mist, The Terrible Old Man, and The Festival.

Black Goat is based around Shub, who to my knowledge has no definitive story.

The Lurker at the Threshold is based on The Lurker at the Threshold. The Lurker is indeed Yog-Sothoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd put 'The Festival' in there too. It has a real sense of dread accompanying the narrator's realization of what he is witnessing.

The Lurker at the Threshold is listed as being written by Lovecraft, but there were a series of story fragments that he had started or merely made notes about that ended up with August Derleth, and he actually wrote the manuscript. While they reflect Lovecraft's work, they have a different writing style altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one story "co-written" with Harry Houdini, think it's called "In the Tombs of the Pharaohs" but really I don't think "Dark Pharaoh" was based on any single story. Neither was "Black Goat" from what I can tell; the "Black Goat with 1000 Young" is a phrase that turns up in several Lovecraft stories (the Mi-Go chant it in "The Whisperer in Darkness")

"The Lurker at the Threshold" is an August Derleth novel that brick-and-mortar bookstores don't seem to carry anymore.

And "Arkham Horror" itself (the base game) isn't based on any one story either. "The Dunwich Horror" story comes close, but it could also be the basis for the upcoming "Miskatonic" expansion cause much of the action revolves around Miskatonic U and it's library of Forbidden Books.

When I first read HPL's stories decades ago it was amazing; I knew nothing about "The Mythos" or the role-playing game (I'd vaguely heard of COC and the first "Arkham Horror") but in the stories this whole horrific world emerges from the background, you start to see how his stories relate to each other. My advice? Save "At The Mountains Of Madness" for later on in your journey....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'At the Mountains of Madness' is really more of a novella in the Cthulhu mythos than a short story, and so it has a different flavor and punch to it.

That said, it's easily one of the best of his novellas, and its descriptions of Old Ones and Shoggoths are detailed and fascinating.

But the Cthulhu mythos as pictured in Arkham Horror- something to be battled, and perhaps even to triumph over- is found as much or more in the later tellings of August Derleth as it is in Lovecraft's stories.

In 'The Dunwich Horror' you see men win in an encounter with the mythos, but in most of the other tales, i.e., 'Tne Call of Cthulhu', 'The Shadow over Innsmouth,' it is at best a draw, and often followed by death or madness.

Lovecraft's stories wouldn't have made as winnable a game, I think. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the black pharaoh and the goat, I think it refers to Robert's Short Stories. For the pharaoh, there are severals (Fane of the Black Pharaoh may be the closest to the theme). As for the goat, there is " Notebook Found in a Deserted House" that is really neat.

I think most of the others have been mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
There isn't a single definitive Kingsport story. Read The Strange High House in the Mist, The Terrible Old Man, and The Festival.

Black Goat is based around Shub, who to my knowledge has no definitive story.

The Lurker at the Threshold is based on The Lurker at the Threshold. The Lurker is indeed Yog-Sothoth.

And considering some of the allies, you probably should toss "The Thing on the Doorstep" (Asenath Waite) and "Herbert West - Reanimator" onto the Kingsport list. Also "The White Ship" and "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" (Moon Beast monster and the Otherworld Unknown Kadath).

And for base game, Dark Pharoah and Dunwich, plus the Edge Entertainment Spanish League, add "The Dreams In The Witch House". Base game features the location, Dark Pharoah an ally (Fr. Iwanicki), Dunwich a monster (Rat Thing = Brown Jenkins) and the Edge League the protagonist (Walter Gilman).

You should definitely add "The Colour Out Of Space" to your Dunwich reading list not only due to the title monster, but also the locations - Blasted Heath, Gardner's Place.

Oh, and for base game allies add "The Rats In The Wall" (Sir William Brinton), "Pickman's Model" (Richard Upton Pickman), "The Horror at Red Hook" (Thomas F. Malone) and of course "The Call of Cthulhu" (John Legrasse).

For base game monsters, "The Horror In The Museum" (Dimensional Shambler), "At The Mountains of Madness" (Elder Thing), "The Whisperer in Darkness" (Mi-Go), "The Haunter of the Dark", Frank Belknap Long's "The Hound of Tindalos", Brian Lumley's "The Burrowers Beneath" (Cthonian), and "The Mound" (Zombie).

Really, why wouldn't you just read Lovecraft's entire catalog?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am not totally mistaken, the story "Nyarlathotep" mentions a strange dark man coming from egypt into our modern days to corrupt it. So, that is one of the inspirations for curse of the dark pharaoh.

Many (the majority) of the encounters, items, investigators etc. featured in the game are not based on stories by HPL but on the Roleplaying game CoC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
Really, why wouldn't you just read Lovecraft's entire catalog?

I'm working on that as we speak actually. How could I have forgotten "Dream Quest?" That's been my favorite so far. Probably because it's not a Kingsport story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes..yes...YES!! This is exactly what I need......exactly what I need...more...MORE...must read more..more..more..more..

zombie

I have the Necronomicon, so Ive been reading through that. I'm also listening to as many books on tape, dramatic readings and old style radio theater that I can. Love the Dark Adventure Radio Theater dramatizations from www.cthulhulives.org, they are awesome!

Thanks a lot guys! Once I'm through a couple more Lovecraft stories, reading through "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" right now, Ill check out some of the stuff written by other authors, if I can find it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
"The Lurker at the Threshold" is an August Derleth novel that brick-and-mortar bookstores don't seem to carry anymore.

I managed to get a copy from a local bookstore. Too bad it is a bad book. Don't bother. Turned me off of Derleth completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gdotbat wrote:
Thanks a lot guys! Once I'm through a couple more Lovecraft stories, reading through "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" right now, Ill check out some of the stuff written by other authors, if I can find it!

Excellent story. Oddly, nothing immediately springs to mind in game which alludes to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
gdotbat wrote:

Excellent story. Oddly, nothing immediately springs to mind in game which alludes to it.

Yeah, I cant think of any either, but I'm in the process of going through all of Lovecraft's stuff, not just what AH is based on. I just wanted to line up what I'm going to tackle next and figured I would hit the AH inspired stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
gdotbat wrote:

Charles Dexter Ward is an ally in Kingsport. But I believe that is it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thing on the Doorstep has the appearance of Shub in it, also there is another short story where the Dark Young appear (The Diary of Alonzo Typer?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
gdotbat wrote:

Yog-Sothoth is mentioned for the first time in "The Case of CDW".

But it is strange not to find Joseph Curwen mentioned anywhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
Eh-hem, Spoiler alert I suppose:

For CDW, he's an ally, and one might conjecture that he's either himself, or his ancestor. Much like how Asenath Waite is really her daddy ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.