5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2+ Player games that play well with more rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Smith
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all, my wife and I have really been enjoying exploring the world of board games for the last few months and after playing alot of the 'obvious' choices, but now I'm wondering where to go next.

We play on a weekly basis with four other people who are also relatively new to the hobby and our go-to game for the last few months has been Battlestar Galactica which has been well loved by all. We'd like to find a game in a similar vein to give us a bit of variety.

We like the:
Coop element
Traitor/bluffing mechanic
Themed element (Working together towards a defined goal)
Not feeling like everything is luck based

Also I'm not sure how to describe it, but I particularly like the feel 'epic' feel of the game. That it's larger and more themed then something like Citadels (which I also love).

I should mention that my wife and I are the only ones who are fans of the show and the other players were able to pick it up without it being too 'geeky'.

Here comes the tricky part however:

If possible I'd like to find a game that works well for two people as well, so that my wife and I can play it on our own. I like the length of longer games (at least an hour), while she likes games that the turns move quickly (she loves dominion in this regard).

As for games we have:

Battlestar Galactica
Citadels
Dominion
Ticket to Ride
Settlers
Pandemic

Any recommendations you guys can offer would be awesome, if there is not a perfect game either, I'd be happy for you guys to suggest two (one for my wife and I and one for our group). Feel free to suggest obvious ones too as we're still fairly new to the whole thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your group, take a look at Shadows over Camelot. For the two of you, you might like Lord of the Rings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Resistance for your group.

Mr. Jack for the two of you.

Forbidden Island has an unofficial traitor variant on this site. You can get cards to go with it on ArtsCow. They are pretty sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Schumm
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like Vlaada Chvátil is just what you need.

Galaxy Trucker was one of the first geek games we got into after we found this site. Great theme, very different mechanics, fast enough for quick game folks, and long enough for epic nerds. I can't say enough about this game.

If you like that and want a follow up or prefer a different theme Dungeon Lords is great as well.

Both these games work well 2 player and with 4.

He has also designed some other well regarded titles but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Also if you don't like luck we have had a great time with Agricola. Just be prepared for the occasional night on the couch with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
For your group, take a look at Shadows over Camelot. For the two of you, you might like Lord of the Rings.

Those were my first two thoughts too. I haven't played Shadows, but LotR feels fairly epic to us, and seems to fit pretty well with the rest of your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.