Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Battles of Westeros» Forums » General

Subject: Questions about the hot water trick (for straightening and basing). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I just acquired BoW and the first two expansions, and boy do they need some love. I haven't done much in miniature modeling in years, and all of that stuff was metal or rigid plastic that only needed gluing. I understand the basics of the hot water trick to straighten out bent armaments and extremities, but I'm not sure of the specifics. I plan on doing two treatments, the first to straighten the figs and the second to prep the tongues so they fit into the slots better.

I'm pretty sure the method goes something like this: dunk figure in hot water, straighten, dunk in cold water. But, how hot/how cold/how long for each dunk? I don't see mention of boiling or ice water, but are the hottest and coldest tap water settings enough, or do I need to use the stove and some ice to increase/decrease the temperatures?

I see a lot of complaints about basing these figures, so my thought was that after getting everything straightened the first time, to then dunk just the tongues in hot water, slot them into a base, clamping them with tweezers or pliers, then dunk that into the cold water so the tongues form fit their bases better for subsequent gluing. Thoughts on this? Those who glued all of this together, do you think that's going overboard?

Thanks for the help guys. I want to get this game up and running, but it wants me to do some work first (as if shelling out the clams wasn't enough!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just boiled / boiling.. and icy cold are best

insert warning here about scalding hands....

5-15 secs is usually enough for the hot.. and only a few secs needed for the cold.

I cut most of the round pegs off my minis.. keeping one or two on, made it easier to fit and glue.

Super glue and tweezers did the trick for me, but some of those little holes just didn't quite line up and needed some force.. would have taken much longer and been fiddlier (is that a word?) with all 3 pegs intact.

A good lathering of paint / basing flock will hide the join in the base. I painted mine with a lighter shade of green than the base, followed by yellow drybrushing. Keeps the base fairly light coloured and yet gives the look of shadows too. If that makes sense.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike. I'm in the process of stripping and cleaning the figures now. Thought I'd save a few bucks and bought a cheap BGG Marketplace copy. SIGH. Looks like the previous owner used Elmers (or the equivalent) to glue these suckers. They just pull out of the bases, and I need to scrape off all the excess dried gunk from the tongues and slots.

Interesting you mention cutting the pegs. I've been using a razor blade to shave the center peg off of every fig so far (still doing the square bases) because I thought it was just flash the previous owner had neglected. Looking closer after your comment, I see that there is a tiny indent between the two larger peg holes in the bases. So I'm "supposed" to line that little nub up, along with the two pegs? That's just . . . dumb. Guess I'll continue shaving.

One more thing: I do recall people talking about plastic "memory" (I think it was for D&D minis) and the hot water resetting that memory. Does that mean that dunking the figs should "reset" them to their original casting, or do I need to physically bend the figs into the proper shape just prior to/during the cold dunking?

Again, thanks for your help, and sorry for all the questions--I've not had to do this before. (I usually just accept some bent weapons and figs, but this game is way beyond "some".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the short answer is 'probably'..

The longer answer is that I had most of my practice on two sets of BattleLore and found that if the figure didn't go back to being upright / weapon straighter - to an acceptable level - then the figure got thrown into a new pile.

Round 2 would involve me boiling the little guys for 10 or so secs, fishing them out, with a spoon, and then dunking them into icy cold / cold water and holding / straightening the lance etc underwater with fingers holding the miniature in position for a few secs.

You just have to be quick but the only problem you'll come across is cold fingers, not burnt ones.

Practice will show you that you have a few secs once the miniature is in the water to do something with it before the temperature drops to a point where nothing happens.

The good news is that you are limited to bent weapons, mostly, the miniatures seem to remain fairly upright.

Happy boiling !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You can also heat them up with a decent hair drier and then put them under running, cold water in a sink. That's how I've dealt with plastic mini's since Mage Knight and it seems to do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used white PVA glue on mine, basically the equivalent (I think) of Elmer's and haven't had any issues with figures coming loose from their bases.

Anyway, here is my tech for straightening the minis fast and easy. Boil some water in a small sauce pan, then turn it off. Wait until it settles so you can see into the water. It doesn't need to be boiling, just hot. Drop your glued figures one by one into the bath and watch them "reset" as you aptly put it. Or just count to ten. Then fish each one out with a long-handled slotted spoon and drop it on the counter. It shouldn't be too hot to touch. Straighten it as you like and hold in place as you lower them into cold tap water. I might put an ice cube or two in the water, but it doesn't need to be super cold. I usually press the figure down to the bottom of the dish so I can physically flatten the base against the bottom, as the bases do tend to warp, causing the figure to rock. I usually do figures this way one by one. Each one takes about twenty seconds. If you notice the figures taking too long to reset, then reheat the water to boiling and turn it off again.

Good luck and have fun with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is always in the last place you look
mbmbmbmbmb
I used finger nail clippers and clipped off all of the nubs. Then super-glued (gel is easiest to work with) the figures into there bases. I'm very happy with the outcome & it is much easier to fit into the bases without the nubs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i just used this method to make my minis OK. not a problem a all.

just throw it all into the boiling water, it will go straight automatically, than take it of to jar with cold water. voila. done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.