Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Test Theories" OPG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David West
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Okay so, this ability was used in our last MoM game, and it brought up something of a sticking point. We were playing Scenario 4, the School one. The ability allowed the player to look at the objective which, in our case, involved the investigators winning if they escaped out the entrance. So the player told the rest of the investigators to escape, they did, and since I had a grand total of one Mi-Go to play with, there was little I could do.

This seems a little... non-cool and doesn't seem like we did it right. Did the investigators have the ability to just leave by knowing the objective, or would they actually have to wait til the card was flipped and have the benefit of knowing what to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron H
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I just posted another thread about Winthrop's ability but decided to delete it and jump on yours as it is related. From a rules standpoint, my first question is whether her ability to 'read the objective' translates into a 'revealed objective'. In some scenarios the keeper is targeting a specific investigator, and if the investigators know this and can continue to replace killed investigators without the constraints of a revealed objective (that is, a dead investigator is permanently dead) they can lead the keeper on a wild goose chase that seems pretty much no fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
BraveDave88 wrote:
This seems a little... non-cool and doesn't seem like we did it right. Did the investigators have the ability to just leave by knowing the objective, or would they actually have to wait til the card was flipped and have the benefit of knowing what to do?

I would think the latter (wait for card to be revealed) - i.e. knowing what the objective is just allows you to prepare for when it's revealed. Presumably the investigator warns the others that something very bad is going to happen soon, so be prepared to make a fast exit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Escaping" on p. 16 is pretty clear that the Objective card has to have been revealed, which also has a pretty specific definition (also on p. 16). So although that player gets to read the card, it's not "revealed" (placed face up on the table, all players free to read it, etc.).

So, I agree that although the players know they need to escape, and where to escape from, they also know they can't escape victoriously until they've collected enough information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
"Escaping" on p. 16 is pretty clear that the Objective card has to have been revealed, which also has a pretty specific definition (also on p. 16). So although that player gets to read the card, it's not "revealed" (placed face up on the table, all players free to read it, etc.).

So, I agree that although the players know they need to escape, and where to escape from, they also know they can't escape victoriously until they've collected enough information.

Agreed. The objective card needs to be revealed, through a game mechanism, before the investigators can escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David West
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Okay cool, thanks for the info guys. Also, as a big BSG player, I wondered how much info the player was allowed to pass one? Can they read the whole card out loud or just say, "Oh crap, we gotta get out of here soon"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He cannot read it, he has to say if out of the memory...
Well seriously - there is no secrecy code like in BSG.
(eg. you can say more than: We are in small/big trouble)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.