Touko Tahkokallio
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people complain that a game of Aether can get complicated and it is difficult to see the board position each turn. This can be true, but I will argue that this mainly happens for players that don't really understand how the game works - let me explain!

In Aether you try to win the Aether tiles by placing elementals (stones) on the game board. Aether tiles can be worth 7, 9 or 10 vp each, see the picture below:

At the end of the game, you get 3 points for each unplayed elemental - that is an elemental not played on the game board. Therefore each time, you choose to play an elemental, you take a risk of losing 3 points. If you are able to win an Aether tile by placing one elemental, you can therefore win 4,6 or 7 points, depending on the value of the Aether tile contested.

Now players who know what they are doing, try to avoid playing too many elementals on the game board. This will also make it much easier to track the board position as there are less elementals and less contested Aether tiles.

Anyway, I admit that it is kind of unfortunate feature of the game, that inexperienced players can end up playing a much more complicated game than it really should be, therefore hindering their gaming experience. But I hope maybe with this small game play hint you are able to avoid the pitfalls and enjoy the game better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.