5 Posts

Descent: The Altar of Despair» Forums » Rules

Subject: Appraiser skill and treasure cache rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Red Fox
msg tools
Hej guys.

Yesterday we had one of our many descent sessions and we almost got into a fight because of one silly question/problem.

One of the heroes had the appraiser skill and we opened a chest. So he got to draw to cards. The two cards were a melee weapon and the other a treasure cache. And here's where the trouble began.

The treasure cache card states:
Quote:
"Receive 1 [random potion or 50 coins] and draw another card from this deck."

The appraiser skill:
Quote:
When you draw 1 or more treasure cards, draw 1 extra treasure card, then choose 1 and return it to the bottom of the deck, facedown.

(emphasis added)

So when you choose the treasure cache does that mean that you can draw two new cards again and choose once more, since both cards say "draw"?

Thanks in advance.

Fox

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lady Fox wrote:

The treasure cache card states:
Quote:
"Receive 1 [random potion or 50 coins] and draw another card from this deck."

The appraiser skill:
Quote:
When you draw 1 or more treasure cards, draw 1 extra treasure card, then choose 1 and return it to the bottom of the deck, facedown.

(emphasis added)

So when you choose the treasure cache does that mean that you can draw two new cards again and choose once more, since both cards say "draw"?

Yes. If the hero chooses to keep the treasure cache, then he will draw again from the deck as part of resolving that card and his Appraiser skill will kick in on the new draw. Drawing a card is drawing a card.

I would even go so far as to say that any effect which said "take a treasure card from the deck" or "pull a treasure card from the deck" would also trigger Appraiser. (I don't know if there are any such examples in the game, I'm just illustrating a point.)

"Drawing a card" is a well established game mechanic with a very clear meaning. You are taking a card from the deck (usually from the top of the deck) and looking at its face value. Any time this happens, Appraiser lets you draw two and pick one to resolve while the other goes to the bottom of the deck.

Note, however, that although two cards get drawn, only one gets resolved. The other is returned to the bottom of the deck without consideration for what it actually says to do. So if you drew two cards and they were both treasure caches, there is no way you will end up drawing four cards next - only one of them is resolved which means only one (+1) new card will be drawn.

Also note that if you draw 2 cards at once because of an effect, the Appraiser draws 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Fox wrote:

I agree with the above, with the emphasis of "you only draw the extra cards from Treasure Cache if that's the card you CHOOSE."

IE, if you draw Treasure Cache and Good Treasure #1 from your Appraiser skill, if you choose Good Treasure #1, you are done. If you choose Treasure Cache, then you get the stuff on that, then draw again - and with appraiser, you'd draw two more, and pick between them.

IE, the "draw cards" bit of Treasure Cache is part of the "effect" of the card, and it doesn't trigger unless it's "kept".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Hawkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Stewi- Your last assessment is incorrect.
Appraiser does not double the number of cards you draw. Rather, it specifically adds 1 card, and then makes you return one. The card is pretty clear, so I'm not sure how you arrived at your conclusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
cameronhawkins wrote:
Stewi- Your last assessment is incorrect.
Appraiser does not double the number of cards you draw. Rather, it specifically adds 1 card, and then makes you return one. The card is pretty clear, so I'm not sure how you arrived at your conclusion.

You are correct. I was mentally skipping over the "or more" bit even though it was right there. I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.