Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Destroyed Buildings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
noktoor draco
Abkhazia
Michigan
msg tools
Me and my friends do have a question on which space a destroyed building must be replaced.

So if a City is destroyed all buildings must be replaced to the market. As the Market Board is showing the two different types of the buildings (upgraded and non upgraded); must a upgraded building be replaced to the upgraded space on the Market Board?

In other words, this building can from now on just be rebuilt as the upgraded version?

This is essential if every other building of this type is already built but not everyone can build the upgraded version. So they must destroy a non upgraded one to rebuild a none upgraded or upgraded. But if you destroy an upgraded you can just rebuild an upgraded.

This is in the most points making quite a lot of sense, but not in all….
The manual is just saying that destroyed buildings must be replaced to the market!

You get the question?



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think those are really meant to be two separate spaces. The market board shows both versions in order to display the cost of each. As long as there is a physical tile available, and you have unlocked at least one of the two versions, you can buildit.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
I don't think those are really meant to be two separate spaces. The market board shows both versions in order to display the cost of each. As long as there is a physical tile available, and you have unlocked at least one of the two versions, you can buildit.


Agree, as long as one version is unlocked, they can build that building. There is no default side that the building is on that would prevent anyone from building the type on the other side.

Just remember, that once a player unlocks the more advanced side of a building type, that player does not have the option to build the less advanced side of that same building type.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
I don't think those are really meant to be two separate spaces. The market board shows both versions in order to display the cost of each. As long as there is a physical tile available, and you have unlocked at least one of the two versions, you can buildit.


Agree, as long as one version is unlocked, they can build that building. There is no default side that the building is on that would prevent anyone from building the type on the other side.

Just remember, that once a player unlocks the more advanced side of a building type, that player does not have the option to build the less advanced side of that same building type.


If you own the tech with the pretty picture....you can build it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thorpe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, if you have the initial building built when you upgrade your technology, your building upgrades for free.

ie, if you build a workshop already built on a space, then unlocked iron mines, you would flip over the workshop in its space and have a better building with no cost.

-Kyrinthic
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Psistakis
Greece
Attiki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kyrinthic wrote:

Also, if you have the initial building built when you upgrade your technology, your building upgrades for free.

ie, if you build a workshop already built on a space, then unlocked iron mines, you would flip over the workshop in its space and have a better building with no cost.

-Oberon


I think I missed that rule... is this valid?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geodian wrote:
kyrinthic wrote:

Also, if you have the initial building built when you upgrade your technology, your building upgrades for free.

ie, if you build a workshop already built on a space, then unlocked iron mines, you would flip over the workshop in its space and have a better building with no cost.

-Oberon


I think I missed that rule... is this valid?


Yes. It's in the rules somewhere or other.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noktoor draco
Abkhazia
Michigan
msg tools
But isn't it quite logical?
its the problem of the one who doesn't have the right tech, that he can't build it.

at the end it isn't said in the manual but why the two different spaces?

And the Rule that you can't build the none upgraded one is supporting this oppinion. Because the Building token is showing the two different buildings and the Market Place is showing the place where to put them.
At the start every token must be placed at the right position and with the right tech you have to build the upgraded one...

Noktoor



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Noktoor wrote:
at the end it isn't said in the manual but why the two different spaces?


It's not. It's a single space that has the pictures and costs of two related buildings on it.

Quote:
And the Rule that you can't build the none upgraded one is supporting this oppinion. Because the Building token is showing the two different buildings and the Market Place is showing the place where to put them.


Except that as I stated in my earlier post, there is a much simpler explanation for why the market board shows both buildings.

Quote:
At the start every token must be placed at the right position and with the right tech you have to build the upgraded one...


Okay, suppose they're two separate spaces. What the rules have to say about the initial setup is this:
Rulebook wrote:
Sort the building markers by type and place them on their indicated spaces. Note that a building with an arrow next to its name is an upgraded building and is found on the back of the un-upgraded building tile.

So, there are 5 granary / aqueduct tiles. Based on this, how many of those are placed on the granary space, and how many are placed on the aqueduct space at the start of the game? The rules don't say, but wouldn't this be a rather important rule?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noktoor draco
Abkhazia
Michigan
msg tools
And the costs of all buildings are as well displayed on the tech!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thorpe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Basically, if there is a tile left, and you have a technology that lets you build that tile on either facing, you can do so, flipping the tile if needed. There is no explicit side they are supposed to be on in the stock, its only relevent when they are built to the board.

-Kyrinthic
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.