Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Players: Jasen Robillard, Curtis, David and Norbert.

Most of the people I game with regularly aren't huge fans of the "multiplayer solitaire" games in which PoF could be classified as being in this category. I do enjoy Pof, and Goa, so I was glad I got to play it with a different group of people than I normally game with. Except, I was up against some sharks, since they play this game regularly, while I had only played 3 or 4 times.

I was dealt the mathematician, bell maker, sculpter and astronomer. I decided to throw out the mathematician, since the other 3 personalities all liked forests and religion.

Round 1: Jasen paid 1000 Florins for the Jester, David paid 800 for the builder, Curtis paid 600 (!) for a forest and I paid 200 for a prestige card (I kept the one that gives 8 VP for all 3 freedoms). No one produced any works; I bought religion in the first round (that sounds oxymoronic just typing that out) and built a workshop.

Round 2: David bid 1200 for a jester, I bid 400 for a forest, Jasen paid 200 for a recruitment cards, Curtis took builder for 200. I bought a profession cards and produced the bell maker for a worth of 14. David produced the cartographer for 14 as well.

Round 3: Jasen bid 1000 for his second jester (and I began to watch him fearfully), I bid 700 for a builder, David bid 500 for a prestige card, Curtis paid 200 for a lake. I built a studio and produced the scultor for 14; Curtis produced the physician for 15. I think David also produced a work, but I missed which one.

Round 4: Curtis bid 1000 for a jester , Jasen bid 200 for a lake(?), David bid 200 for a park, I bid 200 for a recruiter. Jasen produced a crytographer for 16; his jesters were now just starting to kick in.

Round 5: Jasen bid 1000 for his 3rd jester, I bid 400 for my second builder, Curtis bid 200 for a recruiter card, David bid 200 for a lake. Jasen produced a cartographer for 22; I produced a painter for 15, Curtis produced a physician for 18. It was about this point that David pointed out that he wasn't getting 3 VPs for his buildings, so we gave him 6 VPs for the buildings he had constructed.

Round 6: David bid 800 for his second jester, I built my third builder for 200, Jasen paid 400 for prestige and Curtis paid 200 for recruiter. David produced a watchmaker for 19, Jasen produced a composer for 24 using a bonus card for jesters, but Curtis outdid him by 1 producing a botanist for 25 and also using a bonus card.

Round 7: David bid 500 for his third jester, I bid 400 for prestige (picking up a 6 VP card for 4 buildings, 2 freedoms and 4 works), Jasen bid 200 for a recruiter and Curtis paid 200 for a builder. David produced the highest work at 27 for the goldsmith (for 5 works total), Jasen produced a physicist for 21, and Curtis produced two works of value 19: the physicist (using the recruiter card to take it from Jasen) and the poet. I think I produced my last work for a value of 17, but I had only 4 works to everyone else's 5 works.

Scores: David 67 (and 0 Florins remaining), Jasen 61, Curtis 60, Norbert 54.

Wow, so that's what it feels like to play against experienced players. I thought the jester bids were about right, in the early rounds no one paid less than 1000. I actually thought Jasen was going to run away with it, but once he produced a work, there were times when the other two players produced higher works than Jasen did. Next time I may have to pay highly to get into the jester game as well. I did manage to get three builders (in round 3, 5 and 6) which is a bit late to get the building strategy going. It's either get the builders in round 1 and 2 or not at all. Next time I'll also have to strive to produce that fifth work to be at least competitive. Both David and Jasen had 3 jesters each, and it showed in the final score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
Re:Session Report
Nice report as usual Norbert.

Baldy's pretty good at this little game. I've had the pleasure of playing against him on BSW.

Nice illustration of using bonus cards to nab the best work award.

The recruiters were going too cheap (they all went for 200), or not at all, which is very strange considering the prices being paid for the jesters.

And yes, PoF is at its best when playing with "$harks".

Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard!

Thanks for the compliments. You're right about the recruiters going for cheap. If I recall, the profession cards weren't snapped up too quickly either.

Yeah, that Baldy can be quite a deceptive fellow. You're thinking to yourself who is this guy emulating Michael Jordan, then you realize he is smarter than he looks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now the question is...how smart do I look?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.