Popular Tags: Are_we_there_yet? [+] [View All]
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news everyone!

I just got an email from Borders saying that A Dance with Dragons will be hitting stores on July 12th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the last 2 novels will be released posthumously by a ghost writer.

Eagerly awaiting the release of the HBO series. Not sure I am going to read DWD at all though. On that same subject, I never start a series until it is finished any more. Thanks GRR Martin for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

Eagerly awaiting the release of the HBO series. Not sure I am going to read DWD at all though. On that same subject, I never start a series until it is finished any more. Thanks GRR Martin for that!

Don't read the Wheel of Time series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benji
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this is the one ! There have been many wrong releases dates in the past on amazon.

Winter is coming !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading back through the fist 4 now. It will probably take me that long at this rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Reading back through the fist 4 now. It will probably take me that long at this rate.

I think I'm going to have to do that too - it's all got a bit hazy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kunnagh wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

What?! You mean the 97 different families and 47 different regions they blather on about for pages didn't sit in your brain all this time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxdrawdown wrote:
I hope this is the one ! There have been many wrong releases dates in the past on amazon.

Winter is coming !

Right, there have been at least two previous publication dates released by Amazon. I'll believe it when I see it.

But here's hoping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
casualgod wrote:

Don't read the Wheel of Time series.

RIP Brandon Sanderson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, I remember back in May 2008 when I posted the same thing regarding the September 2008 release date

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/311261/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Read his official site. This time it's DIFFERENT! This time is special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
What?! You mean the 97 different families and 47 different regions they blather on about for pages didn't sit in your brain all this time?

I hope the next volume is filled with as much Medieval ultraviolence, boring, predictable Machiavellian scheming and as many inconsequential characters as the last one! I'm so pumped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
kunnagh wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

I know! I should have taken notes! I'm sorry! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Buhr
Canada
Gladstone
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is, apparently, that this time it's a specific date that Martin is releasing himself, rather than him saying a month or season, or someone like Tor or Amazon saying the date.

I myself will believe it when I hold the book in my pudgy little hands.

Dance With Dragons is the make-or-break point for me. I was mildly disappointed with Feast For Crows, and Martin's attitude throughout the past five years has certainly not endeared him to me very much.

But with Ghost Story (Butcher's next Harry Dresden novel, which you should all be reading as well) coming out just a couple weeks later than that, I guess I'll have reading material throughout the summer anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
Ha, I remember back in May 2008 when I posted the same thing regarding the September 2008 release date

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/311261/

I'm surprised Octavian didn't ban you. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorocano wrote:
I was mildly disappointed with Feast For Crows, and Martin's attitude throughout the past five years has certainly not endeared him to me very much.

Attitude? What's wrong with his -

[Post interrupted; had to go edit a fantasy anthology]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
Vorocano wrote:
I was mildly disappointed with Feast For Crows, and Martin's attitude throughout the past five years has certainly not endeared him to me very much.

And how dare you question me for that! I am the author and can do whatever I want and you will LIKE IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
ChonChuuk wrote:
I am the author and can do whatever I want and you will LIKE IT!

Well, chances are, I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Buhr
Canada
Gladstone
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChonChuuk wrote:
kamchatka wrote:
Vorocano wrote:

And how dare you question me for that! I am the author and can do whatever I want and you will LIKE IT!

To be honest, it's not even the side projects that bother me. Neil Gaiman did his now infamous post about George RR Martin and made the very good point that sometimes you just have to do something else for a while to get the creative juices flowing. And I know that shortly after making the big promises, Martin felt he needed to make a major rewrite of the book. And yes, some of the fans have been saying truly awful things to him.

What I can't get over is that "I'll do what I want" attitude. Yes, it's true that no author "owes" the world another book. But he should recognize that it's the fans who have made it possible for him to make a living from his writing.

More than that, it's the five years of being jerked around that bother me. If he had come out at some point and said, "It's harder to write than I thought it would be, bear with me, it'll take a few years before the next book" and then given some progress updates, a lot more of the fandom would have been way more supportive. Instead, at the end of "Feast for Crows" we heard, "It's all written, be out in less than a year." And then since then we have had more "It'll be done by summer/Whoops no it won't" than you can shake a stick at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An e-mail I got from Amazon:

Amazon wrote:
We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on March 28 2008 (Order# XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

George R.R. Martin (Author) "A Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire)"
Previous estimated arrival date: December 25 2012
New estimated arrival date: July 12 2011

What I'm trying to figure out is how they arrived at "December 25, 2012." A Christmas present far in the future? The figure the world will end by then anyway?

I think even Amazon gave up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorocano wrote:
What I can't get over is that "I'll do what I want" attitude. Yes, it's true that no author "owes" the world another book. But he should recognize that it's the fans who have made it possible for him to make a living from his writing.

Oh, I don't know.

If you say you're writing a series of books, you should probably finish writing them if you don't want to earn the ire of your fans.

You should probably have a good idea of where the books are going when you start.

And you should not tell your readers that the second half of the book you just wrote is already done, and it'll be out in a few months, and then dick them around for five years because you realized it didn't meet your standards.

I mean, the not writing doesn't bug me. It's the promises that he then has to double back on. I think Martin does owe his readers, but only because of the expectations he chooses to put on himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
You should probably have a good idea of where the books are going when you start.

Oh, I don't know about that. The creative process rarely works that way. Heck, if Tolkien had stuck to his original plan for Lord of the Rings, we would have instead gotten The Hobbit 2: Bingo's Got a Ring and Other Jolly Adventures.

I'm not entirely joking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
kamchatka wrote:

Oh, I don't know about that. The creative process rarely works that way. Heck, if Tolkien had stuck to his original plan for Lord of the Rings, we would have instead gotten The Hobbit 2: Bingo's Got a Ring and Other Jolly Adventures.

I'm not entirely joking.

Fair enough. Then he could've kept his mouth shut and just churned out the books whenever he felt like it. I would've been OK with that.

No one put a gun to Martin's head and made him announce the trajectory and projected length of his series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
No one put a gun to Martin's head and made him announce the trajectory and projected length of his series.

No contest from me on that issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.