Kris Fox
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
About my group. Once a year or so, we gather and go camping. We like to make fun of each other and debate over unimportant issues. Think Seinfeld with a lot of needling. After our day hikes, I'd like a game we could possibly sit around the fire or camp picnic table with a lantern and play.
Obviously parts are going to get lost, so games with lots of components aren't good.

The only one that comes to mind that I own is Quelf.
Also, there will be 5-6 of us. Feel free to recommend stuff not in my collection.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The obvious choice would be Werewolf, The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow or Ultimate Werewolf: Compact Edition

The Resistance would also be good.

These are social deduction games that would lead to a lot of needling.

BANG! or The Castle of the Devil would work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Liar's Dice maybe? The odd die might be lost, but great fun in a group, with no board to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
werewolf is a must.. very good camping game...

die fugger is a nice small card game that is enjoyable to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Party games might be good, since you sound like a playful group.

Catch Phrase
Time's Up! Title Recall!
Balderdash
The Great Dalmuti (really great when people get into character and oppress the peons, but I wouldn't want to play with less than 6)
Pit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second The Resistance and The Great Dalmuti; if you'll have an even number, I'd second Catch Phrase! (the electronic version) as well...

You might also want to consider Wizard, 11 nimmt!, and perhaps Slide 5 (aka 6 Nimmt!)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions) is a decent little filler game. Only 10 bucks so you won't care if you lose any cards. Basically you take turns playing cards as tiles to try to reach one of the three potential treasure location. However a few of you may be saboteurs (which is determined by secret role cards dealt at the beginning) and try to make sure the tunnels do not reach the treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian F.
United States
Springville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't give up on games with lots of components so easily. I brought Twilight Imperium 3 on a backpacking trip and we played it twice. You would be surprised at how portable it is if you make sure everyone picks the race and color they want to play beforehand. Just organize the components well and put everything in baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Fox
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
the part i didn't say is that there will be copious amounts of alcohol, so fewer components the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age until you mentioned copious amounts of alcohol... Then I realized alcohol and thinking games = bad mojo.

So I'll suggest:
*Telestrations very compact game.
*Dixit compact and can get interesting drunk.
*Fluxx or any of it's dozen or so varieties.
*Munchkin or its family of games.
*Scattergories Another game that is fun with alcohol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Taltos
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb

First suggestion, Good 5-6 person card games, like Double-Deck Hearts, Double-Deck Oh Hell.
Lots of smack talk with both of these, the 2nd time a card is played on a trick they both cancel and niether can take the trick. So taking both Queens with the 3 of diamonds is Legendary!

Others:
Citadels
Cash N Guns
Apples to Apples - Best with the non-gamers, get everyone commenting and explaining the choices and it can be lots of fun.
Mall of Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Fox
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks a lot guys:

I think I'm going to go with Dixit, Cash and Guns (both games I've been wanting for a while), one of the Werewolf variations and the Resistance.

Trip report with the madness that ensue to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip werewolf and go with the resistance, if you only have 5-6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.