Subject: recommend game for non gaming family with kids age 8 and 10 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi there,
I'm going to visit the inlaws and want to take them a game. Can anyone recommend a game for a non gaming family with kids age 8 and 10? I looked in the family games section and ticket to ride looks ideal - fast to learn and short play time (45 mins), but the price is a bit too much (about $50 at my FLGS). Anything else similar to this level of accessibility?

I brought them carcassonne last year and they loved it, I'm hoping for something that goes over as well as that did.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking to do it on a budget, Coloretto might be worth a look. Zooloretto might be even better, but it's got a similar price point. However, if $10-15 is what is standing between you and the game you really want, maybe look online (Amazon probably has these, or online stores like thoughthammer, boardsandbits, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a very close look at Two by Two as it's probably ideal for what you're after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Forbidden Island would work. It's cheap, easy to learn, and a very well-designed cooperative game.

+1 Coloretto as a card game
also look at Parade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here is a list of some of the highest ranked cheap family games:

For Sale
No Thanks!
Coloretto
Colossal Arena
Incan Gold

Any of these would be ok.

Note that these are all card games - you will struggle to find cheap game with a nice board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can find Forbidden Island for $14.95 and less. Definitely look into it. And go to YouTube and search for Tom Vasel's Dice Tower Review of it.

EDIT:
Oh and Don't forget about a classic, Clue. It's one of the only mass market board games I like. I couldn't play it with other adults, but my wife, my 10-year-old, and I love it. We found a complete copy at a local Goodwill for $1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristine Peartree
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were interested in TtR, how about TransAmerica? It looks to be about $25-30 and there is a new one on BGG for $20.

edit: I second the recommendation for Forbidden Island. We've only played a couple of times, but it has lots of suspense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Boses
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

Forbidden Island would work. It's cheap, easy to learn, and a very well-designed cooperative game.

I have a 12y/o daughter. I know she's a bit older than your kids but she really enjoys Forbidden Island. I agree with Eric that this might be a good option for you. I found it at my local Borders Books Store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coquetbell wrote:
If you were interested in TtR, how about TransAmerica? It looks to be about $25-30 and there is a new one on BGG for $20.

I'll second Transamerica. I love Ticket to Ride, but Transamerica is the one that's won over more non-gaming friends than any other game I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peace
United States
Villa Rica
Georgia
flag msg tools
Rolling for Change Podcast
badge
"I'm not screwed. I'm beyond screwed. Screwed is sitting across the room, waving at me, and saying, 'Hi! Glad I'm not you!'"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with all the votes for Forbidden Island. My 9-year-old loves it and so do my 15-year-old son and my wife.

Also, Queen of the Cupcakes (or the slightly girlier version, Queen of the Cupcakes) is an inexpensive card game with fairly simple mechanics.

You might also consider Friday the 13th or the more child-friendly version Baker's Dozen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Martindale
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a good experience playing Hey, That's My Fish! with my young cousins. Fun components and quick to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Portobello Market
Wildlife Safari
Heimlich & Co.
Change Horses
Ch√Ęteau Roquefort
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peace
United States
Villa Rica
Georgia
flag msg tools
Rolling for Change Podcast
badge
"I'm not screwed. I'm beyond screwed. Screwed is sitting across the room, waving at me, and saying, 'Hi! Glad I'm not you!'"
mbmbmbmbmb
qwints wrote:
I had a good experience playing Hey, That's My Fish! with my young cousins. Fun components and quick to learn.

Oh yeah. That's another of my daughter's favorites. Seconded! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudmonkey wrote:
ericbjohnson wrote:

I have a 12y/o daughter. I know she's a bit older than your kids but she really enjoys Forbidden Island. I agree with Eric that this might be a good option for you. I found it at my local Borders Books Store.

+1.

I actually play Forbidden Island with my son (age 4) and his two cousins (age 3 and 6). I try to avoid dictating, and urge them to use their actions to help the island "float".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another vote for Forbidden Island. I have successfully taught it and played with children and adults.

More suggestions (some repeats, sorry!)
Sorry! Sliders
Coloretto
Labyrinth
Dixit
Wits & Wagers Family
Eat Poop You Cat - free, but requires at least 7 players
Hey, That's My Fish!
Piece o' Cake
Tiki Topple
Water Lily
Sushizock im Gockelwok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks for all of the recommendations! I looked for two by two but they didn't have it. Instead went with transamerica - looks good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Creationary. Play the variant where everyone is building except for one guesser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Particularly if either one is a girl I recommend Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus. Inexpensive, fun, fun for the grown ups too.

Second time today I'm dialing up that link...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.