Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought the 2010 reprint on Sunday, and opened it this morning. Unlike the Sword of Rome 2010 reprint with it's lovely inclusion of the 5th player expansion cards & counters, the Paths of Glory reprint did not include the extra cards & counters from the Player's Guide. I have a copy of the Player's Guide with all that stuff in my other copy of PoG that I bought in 2001. In order to have another set of the extra cards and counters in the box with this new copy of the game, I'm going to have to buy another Player's Guide. Grumble, grumble, grumble,...

At least this reprint looks spectacular. Awesome mounted map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
Unlike the Sword of Rome 2010 reprint with it's lovely inclusion of the 5th player expansion cards & counters, the Paths of Glory reprint did not include the extra cards & counters from the Player's Guide. I have a copy of the Player's Guide with all that stuff in my other copy of PoG that I bought in 2001. In order to have another set of the extra cards and counters in the box with this new copy of the game, I'm going to have to buy another Player's Guide. Grumble, grumble, grumble,...

I'm not really tracking. The reprint was never advertised as coming with the Player's Guide, so there is no rational basis for having expected it to be included.

I'd be astonished if there were even a dozen people worldwide who are routinely playing with the expansion cards. And you already have a copy of it?

Is this just a lament about having the completist's gene?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I was pretty sure that the extra cards and counters weren't going to be in the 2010 reprint, just as I'm pretty sure I will never have a date with Claudia Schiffer or Paulina Poriskova. But a guy can dream, you know? And there was absolutely no advertising that the extra cards would be in the reprint. But I didn't realize that GMT was still selling the Player's Guide until today. So I held out a slight irrational hope that they would be included, as the expansion was included in the Sword of Rome reprint. Also, since the Player's guide was in my 2001 game box, I thought GMT had just thrown that in. But today I remembered that I must have ordered the Player's Guide when I ordered the game in 2001.

Why wouldn't people play with the extra cards and counters from the Player's Guide? What's wrong with them? I've started two games now with the cards from the player's guide, and they seemed fine to me. I've seen references here on BGG to people playing with the extra cards. Didn't GMT sell several hundred or even a couple thousand copies of the Player's Guide? If the cards are out there, it makes no sense to me that people wouldn't be using them. Is there a poll on that question somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for the tone of my response, it was completely unwarranted. Implying that so few people use the variant cards was over-the-top speculation tinged with my cynicism about common wargaming habits (i.e., the preponderance of games that get purchased and seem to never get played, but just languish on shelves).

My brain doesn't understand completism, so when I read that you had a copy of the Player's Guide but wanted another one to go with your 2nd copy of the game, my initial thought was "are you ever going to be playing 2 simultaneous face-to-face games where you'd need it?"

Of course that means I forgot the other reasons a person might want a 2nd copy--resale value, or just plain wanting it to be "complete."

A poll is a good idea, I might go start one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense taken, Joel. I understood your points. I do understand that a substantial number of people play without the extra cards, using a 7 card hand in a more competitive tournament oriented style. I play many other games, am late in my gaming life, and am not interested in the more "competitive" style of play. So playing with extra cards, extra units, and an 8 card hand is more appealing for my casual level of interest in PoG.

And I am considering selling my other copy, along with the old copy of the Player's Guide, and the extra cards and counters, to a local wargamer who also will have only a casual rather than competitive interest in PoG. And I know that if I think I might ever want something, I'd better buy it while it's in print and available, even if the thing will sit on my shelf for a long time before it's used.

PoG did lanquish unpunched on my shelf for the years 2001 until 2010. But I like to play ftf rather than pbem, and I was busy playing miniatures during those years. Am only playing it now because I've connected with a couple of different networks of ftf cardboard wargamers who have finally gotten me to try CDGs, and because I'm tired of the endless tactical situations in miniatures. I need to play some strategic games.

I understand that the value of the Player's Guide is debatable. Have not read about people playing the scenarios that start after 1914. Have read the comments about strategy advice being out of date, compared with the strategy advice of the sharp tournament players. The extra US corps are obviously of dubious value, as they may never enter play. The Polish and Czech Legion corps may or may not be historically appealing or realistic, although the Russian cavalry corps seem cool. The extra control markers and trench -1 modifiers are useful, but at the cost of buying everything else in the Player's Guide?

But, ...me preciousssss... ...me wants IT!!!....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.