Hide
10 Posts

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Better 2 Player Game, Agricola or Le Havre rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hiram Witkop
msg tools
I'm thinking of getting Agricola or Le Havre. Most of the time I play 2 player games with my wife, so which one of these is a better 2 player game and why? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola may well be the most 2p-able heavy euro out there. Other great resource games [including Le Havre and my personal preference, Roads & Boats] work with 2, and even work well, but Agricola shines with 2. It's at least as good as the 3p+ game, if not better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned Agricola much longer than Le Havre. Most all my games I play are 2-player also.

Overall I like them both a lot.

Le Havre still has that new appeal to me right now, but it was an instant favorite when I played it.

A few notes though -

d10-1Le Havre (Full Game) is longer than Agricola. Maybe by almost an hour, for me this isn't a bad thing because I'm still really into it the whole time. Some players might lose interest maybe?

d10-2Agricola is a much more restricted game as far as options on your turn. Le Havre feels very open with much more freedom. Neither is a bad thing either, but I think some people feel stressed playing Agricola due to the limited resources/actions available.

d10-3 Agricola's rulebook is pretty awful IMO. I was unable to figure the game out solely on the rulebook. I had to watch a few videos here on BGG before it all clicked. Le Havre on the other hand made perfect sense on the first time reading through the rules.

Overall both are great as 2-player games. So if your time slot is an hour to and hour and a half, go with Agricola. If it's an hour and a half to two and a half hours, go for Le Havre.

Either way I think they are both excellent and are both worth owning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games (and I love Le Havre a bit more than Agricola), but I think that Agricola makes a better 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Another 'Gric vote here. They're both great for 2p, but if I was stuck on a desert island with the wife, it'd be Agricola ll the way, and Le Havre would go down with the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb

Both of these games play very well, and equally well, with 2 players. So,your decision should be based upon which game appeals to you and your wife the most.

To answer that, there are many reviews written on both games....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play a lot of two-player Agricola. I do suggest you use the variant suggested by Hanno: include the 3-player card on the board that allows you to pick 1 of two different resources. This give you a possibility to get some stone early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, I wonder whether you asked the same question on the Le Havre forums; I have a feeling that the answers will be correlated quite well with the specific forum.

With that said, I will join the chorus above and say that Agricola is better than Le Havre, in my opinion. I see Le Havre more as a 3-4 players game; you can play it 2/5, but from my (limited!) experience is does not scale very well.

With that said, notice that Agricola might become a very intense 2p game... But that's up to the competitiveness level in your family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We we Agricola as 2p game most of the time and really enjoyed it. We didn't use any variants such as putting some 3p resource cards on the board but have found the difficulty to be just right.
I only played le havre once as 5 player so I can't say how well it will play as 2. But in terms of buying physical game you go get so much stuff for the same amount of money when buying Agricola. I also liked all the expansions for Agricola. I might pick up le havre on the iPad when it release in the near future.
So I vote for Agricola!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.