Zanoske Martorano

New Jersey
msg tools
Ho friends! I just found the site and I'm real excited to see there's a developed boardgame community! My family and friends are currently looking to buy a new boardgame(not an investment) to play that'll keep us interested and engrossed for hours.

Our recent history in games:

Risk(Classic and the futuristic one)
Legend of the Unconquered Sun
Chess(always)
Chinese checkers
Monopoly
D&D

We're going to get Go already but we're basically looking for games to pit our intellects against each other. We're taking a break from the more 'lol fun' games for a bit. Anyone have any suggestions that won't break the bank? Our max is about $50. We just noticed Civilization came out with a game and the PC game is intense! That was going to be our next buy but I was hoping for some feedback first. Look forward to hearing from some of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for strategy, decent time length and 4-6 players you can't go wrong with either Imperial or Imperial 2030. Both are fantastic games.

You could also look at Dust for that Risk-esque craving but a much better game, IMO.

Chess? Most of the GIPF games are wonderful or if you're looking for multi-player abstracts then something like Grand Conquest might fit the bill.

I'll let others chime to dispense their opinions on the matter.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm....

Advanced Civilization
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
1870: Railroading across the Trans Mississippi from 1870
Merchant of Venus
Dominant Species

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Martindale
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, to better help with recommendations, I would suggest you provide the following information:

1)How many players will be playing?
2)What ages are looking to play?
3)How long do you want games to take?
4)How much complexity do you enjoy?
5)How much direct player conflict do you seek?
5)How much randomness would you like?

Second, take a look at the following page - http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame. While the rankings are pretty arbitrary, it's a great place to start browsing through new games. As you've probably noticed, game pages will have a link to the BGG marketplace to give you a price for the game as well as numerous reviews.

Third, my personal recommendation would be to start with a game with a relatively simple rules and few components. Some very fun games can be a little tricky to learn without a teacher. As much as it's hated on now, Catan is as popular as it is for a reason. Its easy to find, easy to learn and reasonably deep. Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride are in the same class as a good introduction to more modern board games. If you're looking for something a little meatier, you can't go wrong with Steam.

Finally, welcome! I only recently got into board gaming myself this year and I've been meaning to post here more. Hope you have a lot of fun here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Some of the new (last few years),'gateway' games sound perfect: Pandemic & Small World

If by long, you require 3-6 hours then I second something like Imperial 2030.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I noticed you are in the U.S, If you are new to games you might consider hiring games. www.boardgameexchange.com . I have no connection with the company or anything, I'm not even in the same country. I just think if you are new to more modern games this would be a nice way to establish yours and your familes tastes. Then go nuts with the purchasing laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy then Age of Empires III would be a good choice, too.

-Helen

Oh, and welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My top recommendation for you is Agricola. If you don't know what you like, your best bet is what everybody likes. Agricola isn't #1 ranked here any more, but the ones above it don't really fit your criteria. Twilight Struggle is for two players, Puerto Rico is not that long.

I would also suggest Caylus, which was once the flavor of the month.

Imperial is a really great game, but I almost think you are too new to hobby gaming for it. Thinking strategically in a multiplayer, abstracted setting has to be second nature before you can even start to appreciate Imperial.

Same goes for Age of Steam. It would be a nice match for your request if you said you had already mastered Puerto Rico, Agricola, Le Havre, etc.

In another direction, you might like Twilight Imperium. It's super long, not really as deep and intriguing as some of the other options, but still stimulates some thought. It's got more fun aliens and outer space and plastic and stuff though. Kind of like Risk but more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Merchants & Marauders might be just what you need... a little merchanting, a little maraudering, and a whole lot of fun!

It kind of fits into the move to more modern games, but still has some dice rolling and a nice theme.

Get your pirate on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zanoske wrote:
We just noticed Civilization came out with a game and the PC game is intense! That was going to be our next buy but I was hoping for some feedback first. Look forward to hearing from some of you!

I noticed no one has chimed in about Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game yet. I cant give you any advice based on personal experience since I havent playe this for myself yet but the reviews all seem pretty positive and friends of mine who have tried it all seem to think it's pretty great. It's probably a bit complex but if you can handle D&D you can certainly handle most anything I think.

I also second Dominant Species for a great long meaty strategy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allons-y Imaginer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Agricola

and raise (the prospect) of Notre Dame

I really want to get Caylus myself

Plenty of good suggestions here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and welcome!

Judging from your list of games already played, I've notice you tend towards games that require players "setting themselves up" and possibly pulling off a big move; games about "positioning" and such. Is this not true of Chess, Chinese Checkers, Risk, perhaps even Monopoly?

If this is true, then you need to take a look at Cyclades. It isn't terribly long...just terribly fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Cyclades

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:

I noticed no one has chimed in about Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game yet.

Actually, I did recommend this. It is a great game... with 4 paths to victory. Just prepared for double the playing time on the box if you are playing with 4 new to the game. My first game took 5-6 hours and two had already played, two were new to the game. If you want it to go faster have everyone review all the tech cards prior to playing. Learning the tech cards and how to chain them is a big part of this game.

Oh, and Dominant Species is also a great game I also mentioned. I just got my copy after having played it once when it first came out.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
baditude wrote:

I noticed no one has chimed in about Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game yet.

Actually, I did recommend this. It is a great game...

Sorry bob. You're good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think a lot of the suggestions here are too long/heavy for you to jump into from Risk, monopoly and chinese checkers! Not that they're not great, but you should probably work up to them. Certainly the question of how many players you need is an important one, but generally I recommend that you start with a gateway game, like:
Ticket to Ride
Settlers of Catan
Caracassone

Agricola is a good suggestion for something a bit heavier, which can be scaled up from the family rules to the other ones.

You could also get both Puerto Rico and Pandemic for around $50 if you look around for a deal ($30/20 respectively)

Your other option is to visit another group and play some games to get a feel for them before buying. People like different things, and a lot of the people here like heavy games. You might like them too, but going from monopoly to caylus is bit of a jump!

My last piece of advice is that if you get something and don't like it, don't give up! There are tons of very different games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaiden0 wrote:
I think a lot of the suggestions here are too long/heavy for you to jump into from Risk, monopoly and chinese checkers!

Well... the thread does say "long and strategic".

Also... I disagree with the idea that you have to "work up" to a heavier strategy game. That might be the path for a "non-gamer" or "casual-gamer" (yes I hate those terms)... you don't want to scare away. But, someone that knows they are going to dedicate 4+ hours per play and multiple plays before they "get" it.... I think the recos are fine.

The advantage of some of the heavier suggestions like Puerto Rico, Agricola, Adv Civ, Sid Myers Civ, Dominant Species are that these games that have much re-playability because they are so deep. For example, I played my 28th game of Agricola last night. I enjoyed it very much and a player count I don't play often and using the Interactive deck made it a fresh game. Not that Ticket to Ride isn't a great game... but after half a dozen plays or so you are ready for something different cause it's not that deep.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a game that'll pit your intellect against one another and play games like Go, Chess, and so forth that involve taking pieces from each other and being spacially aware of the board then Tigris & Euphrates is the game that you want. It is probably as heavy as you need right now and will probably take you 90 minutes to 2 hours your first game or 2. After that you can play a 4 player game in an hour if everyone knows what they're doing. But like chess and go the rules are not terribly hard to learn, but the difficulty is in the depth of strategy you will need to pick up. If you want intellectual direct conflict this is the best of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hholzgrafe wrote:

-Helen

Oh, and welcome!

I'll second Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
hholzgrafe wrote:
-Helen
Oh, and welcome!

I'll second Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery...

Thirded. It's an easier intro to worker placement than Caylus or Agricola, with more replay value than Stone Age, and feels more like Civilization/risk in terms of colonizing territories than any other WP game I know. A strong rec for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaiden0 wrote:
I think a lot of the suggestions here are too long/heavy for you to jump into from Risk, monopoly and chinese checkers!

I though the same at first but then I remembered he was a DnD player which is plenty complicated. Normally I would agree that a more traditional gateway is a better next step.

-E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Straub
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also started out from more of a D&D world, then got into board games. If you can handle reading that many rules in that many books, 10 pages of rules won't hold a candle in complexity .

We own Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game and it is definitely fun to explore the game board. We found it more fun if one or more of the players actually attempted to combat (when my wife and I play, it's *almost* multi-player solitaire).

We absolutely love Agricola and Le Havre. We've heard good things about Brass: Lancashire, which is currently sitting on our table waiting to be played the first time.

If you enjoy cooperative play, try Arkham Horror. It's also character driven, has some (but limited) RP dynamics, and a very cool theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.