Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: question about 2 players before purchase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Burcham
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any experience with a two player game? I have it ordered at Amazon and they are just waiting to ship it out when I change the credit card I ordered it with.I am an arkham horror fan and a general Lovecraft fan...but Before I decide if I want it for 50$ I need some input from 2 player games. As most of my games will be 2 players Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played one 2 player game and it went well. The Hero player used two characters, which gave us both options (me for more targets to hit, him for more places to explore).

I loved the game and would never turn down a 2 player game. But I think it would be more fun with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Conser
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 1st game was with the full 5 players. But I think it would be easy to play with two players. But I agree I think if you are only playing with 2 players just have them play more than one investigator. That is how my wife and I are planning on playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, the game works great with 2 player, in that case the investigator player has more chance for tactical play. In our games the investigator player controls 3 or 4 investigators, since the game works better with more. I think the only problem would be with scenario 5, since some of the mythos cards need more than one "real" investigator players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Langer
Germany
Coburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
FIS Franconian Gaming Club
badge
History teacher at work
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a 2-player game with my wife and she controlled one investigator only and I don't think that you need to have more than one investigator in game. Of course it's difficult (especially to be fast enough) to win on your own, but in the end it's an experience of real horror. Alone in a godforsaken house and nobody there to help you against the raving lunatic swinging his axe at you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays amazingly well with 2 players, actually.

As a big fan of Lovecraft and Cthulhu RPG myself, I am always in favor of a one on one keeper against lone investigator game, as the horror part of the game atmosphere increases dramatically. With this game, that is also possible and highly recommended, although with some scenarios (and specially some particular adventure choices) it might not work too well, I believe it does with the majority though.

Note in any case that at least 2 out of 5 scenarios need more than one investigator player to play properly and get the most enjoyment out of it. But I for one think replayability of the game is not that bad (and expect some expansion in the near future) and even if some more scenarios for the base game would have been welcomed (a lot of stuff has definitely been reserved for this, you can tell), there is enough here to keep you hooked while the first expansion comes out (unless you play this like crazy on a daily basis, of course, but which game would stand that?)

There is always the option of letting the player handle more than one investigator and it works fine, although the scary atmosphere gets abit lighter. Difficulty of the game for investigators will be less, on the other hand. But I wouldnt recommend handling more than two, specially if not very experience gamer, and because the more investigators you carry, the lighter the horror feeling for the player and the scary menace of dying or going insane.

This game has an immense storytelling potential, and the more you care to increase it, the better your game experience will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you mention it, which scenarios work with two best? I'm trying not to read any details before I play my first game - which will be two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not 1A!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfisher wrote:
Since you mention it, which scenarios work with two best? I'm trying not to read any details before I play my first game - which will be two player.

Well, I can only make an argumented suggestions about Story 1 which I have played a few times. Minor spoilers coming :

Spoiler (click to reveal)
From this one, 1C Objective choice needs at least 2 investigators playing to fullfill objectives, so that one is out.

Edit : acutally, now that I think of it, is possible to be played as well since if you kill one investigator the player will get another one. If you kill that second one, keeper wins..Interesting, will try it out in my next 1vs1 game.

From the other two, I would recommend 1B and for a first play, would be great fun for the investigators to wonder what are those monsters plaaning on doing with their teeth! From a gameplay perspective seems also a better choice (time is on the investigator side). 1A (discused elsewhere) is indeed quite tough for investigators to win, but having a loner here might nelp make final monster a bit more "killable". Since time is on Keepers side this time, lone investigator might have a very hard time winning this one though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
Story 5 is not playable with 2 players, as stated in the Investigator Guide.

Why is this? (I don't have the Keeper guide near me, it's buried away). Does it actually require more than 2 players, or just that the 2nd player play more than 1 investigator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it would be better if I asked it this way - has anyone played scenario 2 - the inner sanctum with two and liked it? A little background - I've played it once as an investigator and now want to play a 2 person game as the keeper and teach it a new player. If she enjoys it, she might alternate with me as keeper on different scenarios when I have larger groups. This is important to me since I don't want to be the keeper all the time. Thanks for any advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
jvdv wrote:

Why is this? (I don't have the Keeper guide near me, it's buried away). Does it actually require more than 2 players, or just that the 2nd player play more than 1 investigator?

Because
there will be a traitor among investigators.

Not much useful without spoiling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
jvdv wrote:

Stated in the Special Rules of the Investigator Guide even : "may only be played if there are two or more investigator players."

Doubt it can be played with one player handling two investigators, as for what I read in the Investigator guide some nasty things can happen between investigators. Didnt´go further as to not spoil the whole thing to myself.

From what I read in Investigators guide of Story 3, it seems that one might also need more than one player for full enjoyment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
cayluster wrote:
jvdv wrote:

Because
there will be a traitor among investigators.

Not much useful without spoiling...

Well, that kind of sucks. Do you know if it is such that

it could be handled in the same way as Betrayal at House on the Hill with 2? That is, once the traitor is out, he could be played by the keeper? Or is the traitor hidden for the whole game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Stated in the Special Rules of the Investigator Guide even : "may only be played if there are two or more investigator players."

Doubt it can be played with one player handling two investigators, as for what I read in the Investigator guide some nasty things can happen between investigators. Didnt´go further as to not spoil the whole thing to myself.

Well, I looked through the event cards, clues, and read both the keeper and investigator guides, and couldn't figure it out - if the investigators can do nasty stuff to each other, I'm not sure where it's indicated (in terms of in-game play). I figure we'll eventually try it and cross that bridge when we come to it, with the keeper (me) improvising something as needed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
Acererak wrote:

Well, I looked through the event cards, clues, and read both the keeper and investigator guides, and couldn't figure it out - if the investigators can do nasty stuff to each other, I'm not sure where it's indicated (in terms of in-game play). I figure we'll eventually try it and cross that bridge when we come to it, with the keeper (me) improvising something as needed...

According to the Investigators guide

there is a Mythos card that after played on an investigators makes him win with the keeper (traitor) so I find that hard to do if just one player is taking two investigators. But maybe the keeper can take control of that traitor. Not sure since haven´t played the scenario myself. Give us some feedback if you do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for the mythos cards - those with "?".
But you spoil yourself a bit.
I have to spoil it because my gaming group is bad at english, so I have to translate this card to them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Burcham
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, u guys convinced me.. it wasnt hard, as i really wanted it.. on its way with free 2 day shipping!! not to derail the conversation, but i have a 9 year old son, he has played castle ravenloft, summoner wars and talisman, u think he'd be good with this?

Thanks for all the replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, some flavor text (and game mechanics for instance, like forcing a investigator to commit suicide...) and even some art in the cards are surely not the best for a 9 year old kid (game is rated 13+)

But gameplay wise and with your son experience, I believe he should have no problem playing it. The game is fairly easy to play (not to win) specially for investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Well, I can only make an argumented suggestions about Story 1 which I have played a few times. Minor spoilers coming :

From this one, 1C Objective choice needs at least 2 investigators playing to fullfill objectives, so that one is out.

You can play scenario 1 with 1 investigator easily, there are in fact two ways for the keeper to win.
First, there is mostly overlooked rule p. 6: "In addition to completing his story objective, the keeper also wins if all of the investigators are eliminated."
second:
as you wrote, when investigator dies before objective revealed, player takes new one, in which case of dead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Strait
United States
Federal way
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 2 player game and thought it went well. The only thing that bothered me is that without more players the keeper gets less threat points per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
According to the Investigators guide

there is a Mythos card that after played on an investigators makes him win with the keeper (traitor) so I find that hard to do if just one player is taking two investigators. But maybe the keeper can take control of that traitor. Not sure since haven´t played the scenario myself. Give us some feedback if you do

Thanks for the catch - I looked in the Investigators Guide but didn't see this. It seems like it could go either way:

It does seem like the Keeper could use the card to take control of the character. This would make the game much harder for the investigators to win, so I'd only go this route if my opponent wanted a real challenge. Otherwise, the best route seems to be simply not to play that particular Mythos card. In one sense, this is the Keeper being a DM, but not really - simply because playing such a card in a 2er would basically ensure that your opponent would win (because they win if you lose, and win if you win). So it becomes a moot point in the 2er, because the card is actually a detriment to the Keeper. This would make the game harder for the Keeper - so probably play this way first time, and then on subsequent plays play with the Keeper controlling the traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.