Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to get the base game within the next week or so. I have a good opportunity to teach the boys at work the game, and I think it will go over well and become a hit. Plus, I am a Starcraft junkie, and want to buy the game (at least to look at and maybe paint, lol).
My question is, should I buy Brood War as well? I can get both games for $100 on Amazon (free shipping, yay!), and from what I understand, FFGs contract with Blizzard ran out, which most likely means that Starcraft TBG will not be reprinted. Given that idea, should I just go ahead and get Brood War too? Is it really worth it?
A major reason for asking is, the most money I've spent on a board game is Battletech, which is around the same 100 dollar price tag over the course of years. This will put me at 100 dollars within 15 seconds.I'm a bit nervous.

Thanks for your time and suggestions (if any, lol). blush

If you have time and resources, is there any major things Brood War brings to the game beside the new units and leadership cards? Any specific balance issues, or game play innovations? I mostly just hear about how awesome the new units and leadership cards are...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that the contract between Blizzard and FFG which recently ran out only concerned World of Warcraft. And they still have their Starcraft stuff on fantasyflightgames.com

Anyways, Brood War is cool. First of all it's more of the same with new units and stuff, but the leadership cards and especially the new planets really make for some new and interesting choices to be made. So if you're a Starcraft junkie it's a good buy both for the new unit, but certainly also for the gameplay changes.

However, there's plenty of fun to be had with only the base game. So why not buy that and then buy Brood War when you've played the shit out of the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest getting Brood War right away. It does add tons more options, but it also fixes some balance issues and shortcomings of the base game (by replacing some combat cards and changing some costs). I wouldn't play without BW anymore, I really think this is an expansion that completes the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About balance, there are a few things that the expansion address. I was a SC junkie and came to loath the boardgame for all the things that it didn't do like the videogame (in terms of concepts, not units), but I'm a bit of a hypocrite because i would still play the game.
If you DO like the boardgame and you already know the rules and have seen some videos, yeah i would get expansion. It adds combat cards, units, plants, modules, basically it adds everything the didn't put in the base game. It also won't feel that the game ended too soon, having a larger Event deck. And Aldaris gets less free wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Laverty
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aboslutely buy the expansion too.
Why?

New units
New Leadership cards which means VASTLY DIFFERENT GAME ENDING OBJECTIVES
Rebalanced game play
More strategic choices
More planets that influence what you build, ie. areas that only allow flying units or ground units - so you have to change your build strategy depending on what planets you start with or hope to control.
It even contains scenarios for 2 - 6 players which are pretty neat

I really see the expansion as the completion of what the game set out to be and will not play without the expansion anymore.

Hope that helps.
Jeremy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BUY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, it's been helpful.

I think I will probably end up buying it at the same time, but of course we'll see exactly how much money I have left ninja

Thanks for those specifics. I didn't take into consideration that the new planets added anything new (like air-only control).
I do hear that the base SC game can come to a really abrupt end, I'm glad to see that BW helps to fix that.

I am really excited. This'll be my first "coffin box" game.

Thanks again everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
da metz
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mads b. wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the contract between Blizzard and FFG which recently ran out only concerned World of Warcraft. And they still have their Starcraft stuff on fantasyflightgames.com

From the information of our german publisher the license for SC also expired. There will be no more reprints of german or english versions, so I also can just recommend to get your copy as fast as possible.

And as the others already told you: if you like Starcraft, Brood War is a must buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know! I was worried about that...

I did end up buying both Starcraft and Brood War (they arrived today in fact). After looking over the components for BW, I already couldn't image not having it. Thanks everyone for the advice!
Looking forward to next weekend to break it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Good for you.. Brood War really adds to it... IMHO the best expansion the boardgames have seen ever (well the other expansions have been lame, I'll admit..).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metzga wrote:
mads b. wrote:

From the information of our german publisher the license for SC also expired. There will be no more reprints of german or english versions, so I also can just recommend to get your copy as fast as possible.

And as the others already told you: if you like Starcraft, Brood War is a must buy.

License expired? Making a fear-based impulse purchase in 3,2,1,....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Time 2 Roll wrote:
metzga wrote:
mads b. wrote:

License expired? Making a fear-based impulse purchase in 3,2,1,....

That is the reason I bought the game in the first place. It was a now-or-never situation. I buckled under pressure.. It was Blizzard, they made me do it! It's not like I want to play with the minis or anything... Or... So I tell the wife. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Finley
United States
Aston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Just made my own fear based impulse purchase...I wonder how I'm going to explain this one to my girlfriend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.