Subject: Which expansions are MUST HAVE? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantin Lasko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here is the story: I've just got the game yesterday, played it once and I absolutely love it. I know myself good enough to say, that I'll definitely buy some of the expansions (or probably all of them... and even the flags... and anything else, that FFG will use to get my money).
But as I live in Belarus it's not that easy to get them, so I have to plan my orders.
What expansion(s) is really the best one, which should I but first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I have both the Wardens of the North and Wardens of the West, but I haven't played either yet, still working through the base scenarios. I haven't even tested the skirmish cards yet. Man, there's a lot of game in that box.

Anyway, I'd say that the Wardens of the West expansion is the best so far, especially if you're a fan of the series, as it has the Imp and the Hound. Also, the crossbow units are really neat ranged units. You can determine their rank by discarding an order token. Taking ranged shots with 4 dice sounds great to me. Also, often you don't even need that extra red order token. This expansion also has the peasant militia, who possibly will run away when your morale is low, so that makes morale matter more, which is a good thing.

I think the Wardens of the North set is fine and it does "complete" the core set so that you have plenty of figures and units for much variety on both sides, but the units and commanders aren't as interesting to me, even though Defender seems like a very cool mechanic.

Of the two upcoming sets, I think they both look very interesting with the Tribes/barbarian set having a slight edge for being more unique and one of the best parts of the stories. Also, they give the Imp some more fitting looking units to command.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You MUST get them all.However as you need to pick your purchases
I would agree with Ian.West then North as these are the only ones out to date.

Lords of the River should be out soon which you might want to
consider ahead of North simply because it appears to more interesting
than the Norths Units.

The Vale is more interesting but by the time it's out you will probably
picked up at least 1 expansion.

I would try to balance things,unless you plan to only play 1 side
and get a Lannister Expansion & then a Stark Expansion,which is
about the way FFG is putting them out.(but that just me)

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sherry
Canada
Truro
NS - Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I haven't bought any expansions yet, but I can let you in on my planned order of purchase and reasoning for it.

First I plan to grab the Warden's of the West. As mentioned, it has the advantage of having 2 of the most popular commander units in The Imp and The Hound. The Crossbowmen look cool and the peasant units are unique. The pikemen could have been a little more original, but I'm fine with them. I don't know about extra rules incluced, but this looks like a solid set.

My second purchase will likely be the Riverlord expansion. I feel I should get some support for the Starks, and this pack looks good. The commander units are attractive again, though Edmure does seem more powerful than the Blackfish, which I would have reversed. The Tully archers have a cool ability, as do their cavalry. As the only expansion I have seen the rules for (are others available?) I am intrigued by the outposts/barracks. Looks worthwhile.

Then I'll probably wait on the Mountain Tribe set. I don't know much about them, but there is a lot of character in that set. Plus the horsemen will go great with Tyrion in the scenarios where he is supposed to be leading them.

At this point I'm not even sure I will get the Wardens of the North. I probably will, but the units don't appeal to me. The commanders are fine, but I find both the Manderly Trident soldiers and the Shield Maidens of Bear Island to be a bit too silly. I would have preferred the cavalry units to have been the young squad of Tallharts mentioned in the novels (Young Wolves or Wild Hares or something). This would have left the Umber men to have been some sort of strong swordsmen group, as the North doesn't have an sword bearing foot soldiers.
I don't know much about rules for this set, hopefully there is something in there that can sell me on this set.

That's just the way I view it now, and that could change as I get more info on the game.

Plus, I haven't even played it yet, I've been wasting all my time painting. That is almost done though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I have both the Wardens of the North and Wardens of the West, but I haven't played either yet, still working through the base scenarios. I haven't even tested the skirmish cards yet. Man, there's a lot of game in that box.

yeah, I'm lloking through the list of scenarios right now and I like what I see. Maybe I can wait some time?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to chip in defence of WotN.

In terms of the new Stark units, I like them. Personally, I don't find the Stark units silly. I find them flavourful and interesting. Lannister has a more 'classical' military line-up. I like the fact that the Stark units are a little more unusual.

And that's all fluff really... what's really good about the new units is the new keywords.

The Shieldmaidens (and Rodrick) get Defender which allows them to give up their attack in favour of getting Stalwart, Heavy Armour, and a simultaneous counter-attack option. That's an interesting tactical option, right there!

The Tridentbearers get Deflect, which allows them to discard an order token to negate hits of the appropriate colour. This is another fun option, and I see it as a foil to the Aimed Shot ability of the Lannister Crossbows introduced in WotW.. Now both sides have cool alternative uses for order tokens.

The last unit is the Lancers, who are a second Cavalry unit for the Stark.. Yay! Plus they get Formation options. Again, they are kind of a foil to the Lannister Polearms from WotW.

The 3 new Leaders maybe aren't that intersting to fans of the books. I don't know, I haven't read them. (I plan to). I think the new leaders are cool and add more options and, therefore, depth.

As well as the units of course you get 3 new scenarios (up to the usual standard) and a new Skirmish to play. Who doesn't like new scenarios?

Of course there are new gambit cards too. 2 for each house. Ironically, the Lannister gambits are better than the ones from the Lannister expansion, I think. I love the Gambit option and will always use it now.

I'm completely happy with my both purchases of WotN and WotW. They complement each other very well. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that people think these 2 expansions may have been cut from the base game to make it more affordable. Might be true. It certainly feels like the core set and these 2 expansions make for a very well rounded and balanced game.

Personally, I think the 2 Wardens expansions are the 'must-haves' and, from what I've seen of the ally rules, it's the upcoming expansions which are far more optional.

But I will still buy them all cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your opinions.
I've played the game several more times and I guess that I'll have to buy all the expansions anyway - love the game too much for resisting it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You gotta get the new banners, even if you buy nothing else. The chipboard ones just look silly by comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.