Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on my second print and play free fan expansion for Agricola. This one is designed to be played with Farmers of the Moor, and is called "Improved Farming and Disasters." Not the snappiest title to be sure. It's really two expansions in one, I suppose.

I've created 18 new start cards presented here for review and critique. Just shuffle them in with the current Start Cards for 27 total possibilities to start with. The start cards include two new types of tiles

Gravel Tiles (as in 7A, 8A, 8B, 9A, 9B) may be removed by taking a Fell Trees, Slash and Burn, or Cut Peat special action, and Clearing Gravel instead. The Start Tiles with Gravel include a resource on them. Place the resource in question on the Gravel tile and move it to your supply when you clear the Gravel; you can use it once it is in your supply. Spaces with Gravel on them count as used, but you get -1 point for each Gravel tile on your farm at the end of the game.

Water Tiles (as in 5B, 6B, 7B, and 8A) may not be removed from your farm. Spaces with Water tiles count as used. When you take the Fishing action space gain 1 extra food from supply for each Water tile on your farm.

Water and Gravel tiles added to your farm (by Improvements, Occupations, or Disasters) do not need to be placed orthogonally adjacent to existing tiles of the same type, unless the card specifies otherwise.

Starting Player may be determined by using the start cards. The player with the highest number Start Card goes first. If there is a tie, the tied player with the highest letter Start Card goes first.

Some Start Cards start with a field, a Clay Hut, or a house in a non-standard location. I think the way that works is intuitive, but I'll be happy to answer questions.

(The green woven spaces are empty).

We've been playing with these start cards for a while and they seem balanced, at least for 2 players. Sometimes having a clay hut can be an advantage, but it's usually balanced out by not easily being able to grow your house and thus your family and also by the loss of a forest or moor and it being replaced by gravel (which again is balanced by giving you a resource when you clear it).

Comments are always welcome. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Arabella
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its a great Idea, Not too flashy, keeps with the FOTM theme. Can't wait to see final product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:

We've been playing with these start cards for a while and they seem balanced, at least for 2 players. Sometimes having a clay hut can be an advantage, but it's usually balanced out by not easily being able to grow your house and thus your family

I would think that in 2-player, extending your clay hut is really hard, even with the 2 gravel-clay you kind of have to get asap. I think a starting clay hut is too much.
A central water tile you cant remove also sucks big times. I dont think many people would enjoy that, especially in combination with the field on 8A.
Not sure about the gravel, since there are no cards that interact with gravel (except the 1 card you created) i would think they become boring pretty quick.

I like the idea of not having your starting hut in the same place as always, but the 2 starting spaces are shaded on the board and thus unsuitable or at least confusing for being empty spaces.
Also 2B is the exact same as an existing starting card, only mirrored but that has no effect at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.