Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Master of Economy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Redeming shares cost a player a buy action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played the game for the first time last night. 2 player game with my son, and we got a few things wrong, but two things I noticed as I looked over the forum that I think we missed.

1. In a 2 or 3 player game, the dummy corporation gets a marker on the trade board. It buys, (reduces), the foreign demand marker? If so, when does it do that? Is it as soon as that good comes up in the rotation, or it is treated like another player, in that it doesn't buy until all other pegs in front of it have a chance to go?

2. Redeeming shares cast a player an action? So, if my corp decides to redeem another players shares, does it mean that player loses their sell option during the boardholders meeting phase, or that the victim corporation loses it's sell option immediately... or neither.. help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The dummy marker only acts to move the foreign demand marker if there are no players importing in that column. If there is an import in that column and you hit the dummy marker, you just move past it, because you can not buy from him. Otherwise there'd be no reason to have it there, as you could just move the foreign demand marker one to the left and not have to deal with the dummy marker.

2. No. The redeeming shares portion is a phase of the shareholder's meeting that has nothing to do with buying or selling shares. You can redeem one packet TO THE BANK that is owned by another player/corporation in that phase, and that has nothing to do with buying or selling for the corporation. Plus, during the shareholder's meeting corporations will never buy or sell shares for themselves. When it comes to buying/selling a packet of shares at the end of the meeting it is done for the players' personal supplies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So... wait...

1. The dummy corp's marker on the trade board is skipped if someone is trying to import something, that I get. The question is, does the dummy corp's marker do anything else? i.e.: When that good comes up in the rotation, is the foreign market immediately moved one to the left? Is it moved one to the left only when the demand reaches the peg, (if other players markers before it have been used and removed), or, does it not effect the movement of the foreign market at all?

2. That's what I thought, but on these forums I keep seeing how people say it's a great idea to redeem shares because it costs that player an action. What are they referring to?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:
...
2. That's what I thought, but on these forums I keep seeing how people say it's a great idea to redeem shares because it costs that player an action. What are they referring to?


They are referring to the fact that you can only buy one package of shares per shareholder meeting phase. So if you redeem a player's shares and he wants to buy them back he has to spend that one action to do so and can't buy other shares instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, I think you are thinking into this one a bit too much. Just treat it as a normal piece, and move the foreign demand marker one to the left when you reach it and there are no imports.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
THAT is what I wanted to know! Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kurek
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gentlegiantglass wrote:
You can redeem one packet TO THE BANK that is owned by another player/corporation in that phase,...


You can also redeem a packet which belongs to you. Well, it`s better (more precisely) to say that you can MANAGE that the corporation managed by you redeemes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludwig Seitz wrote:
Icedanno wrote:
...
2. That's what I thought, but on these forums I keep seeing how people say it's a great idea to redeem shares because it costs that player an action. What are they referring to?


They are referring to the fact that you can only buy one package of shares per shareholder meeting phase. So if you redeem a player's shares and he wants to buy them back he has to spend that one action to do so and can't buy other shares instead.

... unless they wanted more of the same company's shares, right (they could re-buy and then also buy more at the same time).

Is this really all that useful? Suppose a player is forced to redeem 3 shares at $2 per, and suppose they bought those shares at $1 per (is this a likely situation? It seems like it could be at the end of round 2...)

They net $5 ($2x3shares+$2bonus-$3cost). If they had held those shares they would instead net $6 (if the share price went up to $3) or $9 (if the share price went up to $4 by the game end). So I guess forcing someone to redeem does cost them $1 or $4 (plus a little extra from endgame payoffs maybe).

So if $1 or $4 is a big deal, what's the cost of doing that to someone - money from the company, which it cannot use to pay you dividends or to buy cubes or factories (might not matter after a point), less money for you to embezzle.

I suppose the larger the packet, the more money you stop the person from making. I am not sure whether I think that's worth doing though. Couldn't you do better by simply embezzling that money?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kurek
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Ludwig Seitz wrote:
Icedanno wrote:
...
2. That's what I thought, but on these forums I keep seeing how people say it's a great idea to redeem shares because it costs that player an action. What are they referring to?


They are referring to the fact that you can only buy one package of shares per shareholder meeting phase. So if you redeem a player's shares and he wants to buy them back he has to spend that one action to do so and can't buy other shares instead.

... unless they wanted more of the same company's shares, right (they could re-buy and then also buy more at the same time).

Is this really all that useful? Suppose a player is forced to redeem 3 shares at $2 per, and suppose they bought those shares at $1 per (is this a likely situation? It seems like it could be at the end of round 2...)

They net $5 ($2x3shares+$2bonus-$3cost). If they had held those shares they would instead net $6 (if the share price went up to $3) or $9 (if the share price went up to $4 by the game end). So I guess forcing someone to redeem does cost them $1 or $4 (plus a little extra from endgame payoffs maybe).

So if $1 or $4 is a big deal, what's the cost of doing that to someone - money from the company, which it cannot use to pay you dividends or to buy cubes or factories (might not matter after a point), less money for you to embezzle.

I suppose the larger the packet, the more money you stop the person from making. I am not sure whether I think that's worth doing though. Couldn't you do better by simply embezzling that money?


I think it depends on players` style. If everyone embezzles there is no good investment in your neighbourhood. Besides, if there is a good social (moral?) system enforcing the players to play solidarly focused on making fair deals it is better to buy shares of another company and wait until their value increases. In this case you have more to share in the end.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Is this really all that useful? Suppose a player is forced to redeem 3 shares at $2 per, and suppose they bought those shares at $1 per (is this a likely situation? It seems like it could be at the end of round 2...)

They net $5 ($2x3shares+$2bonus-$3cost). If they had held those shares they would instead net $6 (if the share price went up to $3) or $9 (if the share price went up to $4 by the game end). So I guess forcing someone to redeem does cost them $1 or $4 (plus a little extra from endgame payoffs maybe).

So if $1 or $4 is a big deal, what's the cost of doing that to someone - money from the company, which it cannot use to pay you dividends or to buy cubes or factories (might not matter after a point), less money for you to embezzle.

I suppose the larger the packet, the more money you stop the person from making. I am not sure whether I think that's worth doing though. Couldn't you do better by simply embezzling that money?


As I read it, at the end of the game players get the value of their stock (as you have described) PLUS the corporation treasury is divided between shareholders. In addition, during game play, the corporation's dividends would be divided by a smaller group of shareholders. These factors may make the margin of profit from redeeming larger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.