Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To encourage further discussion about this Scenario (and maybe applicable to others), here is my point :

- Investigators, when certain that there is no time to achieve victory for the group, could force a stalemate (encouraged in the rules under No Win Situations) by killing themselves before last Event card is resolved, but after Objective is revealed (eliminates them right away).

Now, is there any place in the rules where this is not allowed? Probably not addressed. I believe thematically it would be "gamey" not to allow an investigator to kill himself at anytime if willing to do so. And in this particular situation, it seems wiser than just staying alive to give victory to your opponent...

From a Lovecraftian point of view it fits with the theme even more than surviving.

Now, since this could lead to break some scenarios, this could be solved by stating in the rules that elimination of all players is always a Keeper win. But currently this is not the case, I believe.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say they could force the stalemate that way.

However, remember that an investigator cannot target another as a valid target for an attack.

So in order to do this they would have to charge full on toward your monsters to die. If you see this happening then move your monsters away and use uncontrollable urges to move the investigators further away,

That should give enough time for the final event card to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
If a group plays it that way, they're playing it wrong... A "win" earned by standing in a burning room and immolating yourself is, while perhaps condoned by a strict reading of the rules, contrary to the point of playing a game like this. If absolute winning conditions are all that matter to a group, they should be playing something else.

I'd definitely consider it a house rule, if not an unspoken assumption, that if all the investigators are dead at the end of the session, the keeper has won the game in a rout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Now, since this could lead to break some scenarios, this could be solved by stating in the rules that elimination of all players is always a Keeper win. But currently this is not the case, I believe.

It is in the rules.
p. 6 "In addition to completing his story objective, the keeper also wins if all of the investigators are eliminated."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malekous wrote:

However, remember that an investigator cannot target another as a valid target for an attack.

There are some Trauma cards that specifically allow this to happen. But that´s a Keeper decision in any case. You could try by throwing yourself into a burning room for example, although you might need a lot of turns to burn to death. Wow, what an ending for a Horror game in any case.

Malekous wrote:
So in order to do this they would have to charge full on toward your monsters to die. If you see this happening then move your monsters away and use uncontrollable urges to move the investigators further away,

This (whcih sounds like a bit comic situation even) is not possible since it´s also Keeper decision to attack or not with a monster.

But in any case, I think this situation (investigators getting a higher win by dying) is a bit contradictory with the current rules since most ways of dying are in the Keeper hands. And feels like a gamey possibility. But thematically, why woud an investigator not be allowed to put his own shotgun to his head and shoot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
Acererak wrote:

It is in the rules.
p. 6 "In addition to completing his story objective, the keeper also wins if all of the investigators are eliminated."

Good catch! Well, problem solved then. Makes total sense to me this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
But thematically, why woud an investigator not be allowed to put his own shotgun to his head and shoot?

It is called "giving up" in which case we rule it so that the other side wins...
Which would happen even in this game. see my previous post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Vodnyk wrote:
Acererak wrote:

It is in the rules.

The rules are huge, and miss one small sentence is not that hard. I think they did not point it out well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
Acererak wrote:
Vodnyk wrote:
Acererak wrote:

It is in the rules.

The rules are huge, and miss one small sentence is not that hard. I think they did not point it out well.

Important enough to highlight it a bit more, indeed. Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, there IS a scenario later that the investigators could possibly prevent the keeper from winning in a similar way, but it would be tough to do and pretty darn thematic given the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played for the first time tonight and the Keeper won (me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Malekous wrote:

There are some Trauma cards that specifically allow this to happen. But that´s a Keeper decision in any case. You could try by throwing yourself into a burning room for example, although you might need a lot of turns to burn to death. Wow, what an ending for a Horror game in any case.

There are 2 cards and they require the investigators to be at 0 sanity and are discarded after use. Not enough for them to kill eachother unless they get very lucky.

Acererak wrote:
Malekous wrote:

This (whcih sounds like a bit comic situation even) is not possible since it´s also Keeper decision to attack or not with a monster.

But in any case, I think this situation (investigators getting a higher win by dying) is a bit contradictory with the current rules since most ways of dying are in the Keeper hands. And feels like a gamey possibility. But thematically, why woud an investigator not be allowed to put his own shotgun to his head and shoot?

He is, its the other insanity card called The Only Way Out

At any rate, the keeper will win (as stated by the rules) if all investigators are eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.