Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is simple enough: Think of the last game you bought, and think of what made you decide to make that purchase. Of course, if the option isn't in the poll, go ahead and click other and give us your reasons.
Poll: What inspired your most recent game purchase
What inspired your most recent game purchase?
Good review online
Good review from friend/associate
Played at a cafe/store/game night
Played a digital version
Had no/limited knowledge of game, but liked theme/box/artwork etc.
Had no/limited knowledge of game but it was cheap
Other
      99 answers
Poll created by clockwerk76

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the FFG intro video on Mansions of Madness. It looked great. Had to buy it asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost pure spontaneity. Added Tomb: Cryptmaster to an Amazon order. I've heard about Tomb and it's fans and detractors and figured I'd like a good dungeon crawl game so I slapped it on there. I haven't researched it very much so it was a bit out of character but here's hoping. Supposed to come in tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played other worker placement games like Pillars of the Earth and Caylus, I was really interested in Dungeon Lords due to the fantasy theme. I got to play it at a monthly meetup group and that was all it took. It was added onto my next order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheapness it was £1.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I was upgrading my copy of Twilight Struggle to the Deluxe, sold my old copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since my most recent purchase was arranged about 10 minutes ago, it's still fresh in my mind. I just ordered Legions of Darkness from Victory Point Games. The first time I saw this one was just a few days ago, and I knew that I had to have it. I like the Victory Point Games States of Siege Series and I really enjoy fantasy, so this was a no-brainer. It also finally gave me the excuse to order The Lost Cause Expansion Kit, something I've wanted to do for months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Typically my answer would be either from a review or other content here on the geek, or the fact that I had played the game before. The other big one for me usually is from reading the rules. My last purchase was Automobile though, and just from reading the description (well over a year ago) it sounded interesting to me. I also wanted to add another Martin Wallace game so it sounded like the best option. I didn't want to by the original addition because of the cost, so once Mayfair released it I bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked other for my answer. It was a 2nd hand but never been played by the owner. Cheaper by about 50 bucks in my currency, I just have to buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bross
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Tigris and Euphrates, after having been interested in it for a while. But it was Enders magnificent review that put me over the top.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/376984/so-youre-wondering-ab...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Dominion and Thunderstone: Dragonspire only after I played them with my main gaming partner (my daughter) and found we enjoyed them both; I, Dragonspire most; her, Dominion most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Opening day of a new FLGS in our area and we had to buy something. Twilight Struggle was what seemed most interesting and least overpriced [vis-a-vis online] at the time, even though it hadn't really been on our radar. I knew enough about the game, but it wasn't the good reviews that made me interested in picking it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More than one of the above...

My most recent purchase was Dominion. I had already played online and on my phone, as well as read reviews and played in person at a game meetup. However, I'd say the biggest reason(s) for making the purchase at this time were my g/f asked to play the Android version on my phone and seemed to enjoy it AND I had a 40% off coupon for Borders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The results you're getting from this poll is obviously going to be biased considering that boardgamegeek is likely to be full of people looking for reviews on games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
The primary motivation for my most recent game purchase was a surplus of extra holiday money, to be completely honest.

My wife and I decided to buy three games; we each chose one then decided on a third together. The purchased games were: Le Havre (her choice), Vasco da Gama (my choice), and Hansa Teutonica (collective choice).

My wife has been wanting Le Havre for a while. She's a big fan of Agricola, and we respect the general opinions of BGG. Since Le Havre is rated so highly and appears to be our kind of game, we bought it.

I liked the look of Vasco da Gama and the description of the gameplay. Hansa Teutonica was something my wife was intrigued by and was something a little different than some of our other games.

BGG reviews, photos, etc. played a big part in choosing those games. This is our current primary resource for games (as I'm sure it is for many other people).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael OF

California
msg tools
mbmb
gooFive things get me to buy a new game. First, it has to be in the category of games I like togoo play. Second, it has to have a great theme (I can't stand games like Le gooHavre with perhaps the most boring ever tasks. Move that hole here. Ok soldier, no move it over there. Ok, now make bricks out of it! gooYeeeeeeuck! That whole theme blows.) Third, great artwork and components. Fourth, it MUST have great reviews. I never buy a game that just came out (after several bad purchases, I now wait for reviews - lots of reviews). Fifth, the price. When a game is hot and hard to get, all the online retailers jack up the price that I am just not willing to spend on a game - no matter what the game is.goo

All that lead up to the purchase or Battles of Westeros(one day ago). Overriding some of the above, I also bought gooMansions of Madness(one day ago). Since I am a huge fan of The King in Yellow (careful reading this) Robert Chambers (1895 ish), Robert L Stevenson, HG Wells, Poe, Lovecraft and many others (going way back before anyone thought to make games out of these works of literature), I bougooght this game on limited reviews. I figured since I have and like all the other FFG Lovecraft games, it most likely will please.goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Burnett
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I needed to round out an Amazon order in order to get the free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james collins
United States
rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8059/ideology-the-war-of-...

It was on sale in Tanga and I hope to one day to meet people to play it with laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Fear of out-of-printedness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it at an event and I loved it. Knew it would fit into the collection wonderfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried desperately not to buy Mansions of Madness but then saw the reviews and previews here and my resolve died. They replaced the new pair of jeans I needed to buy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Freiheit
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

This is exactly it for me. I need a therapist! cry

Actually I may need a protection order, when my husband sees the next credit card bill...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs NL
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wanted to buy a copy of space hulk 3rd, but being out of print and all I went looking for details on a possible reprint and google sent me here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/570654/reprint/page/1

In which Claustrophobiawas mentioned.
So I started to look up reviews and found:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/584966/claustrophobia-review...

Which let me ,through the comments of several people, to a comparison between 2 in print games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/567476/comparison-to-cla...

And finally to this superb review by Sphere :

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/515679/the-dirty-14-dozen

Which let me to ebay, because english niche games ussually dont reach our boardgame stores. I found it for 55 euros with shipping to the Netherlands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.