d s
Canada
Mississippi
flag msg tools
This came up in a game today at lunch. I was using the dragon master sorcerers and conquered a region next to an occupied sea region (the sea region was occupied by a single active Orc unit). After some debate, the group decided that the sorcerer could not attack sea region with its special ability. Thus, thwarting my cleverness... Has anyone else encountered this scenario? What is the correct answer?

Yes, you can use the special ability to attack sea regions (assuming it is occupied by a single active race token).

OR.

No, only races with the sea faring attribute can occupy a sea region at any given time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
ManitobaWarrior wrote:
No, only races with the sea faring attribute can occupy a sea region at any given time.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Pieter. The only way to conquer lakes/seas is with seafaring power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d s
Canada
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I can agree with that. It's funny that the sorcerer's ability says that it can conquer ANY neighboring region... I know that the seafarer ability says that you can conquer lakes and seas "as if they were regions".However, at scoring time, you score points for conquered regions. Unless it reads you score points for any conquered region, sea or lake.

Something to compare to...

If you own the fortress attribute, then say you own a region with a fortress placed therein, when that region is conquered by an opponent does the fortress stay behind to be used by the opponent?

If it does stay behind (and the +1 dollar for each region with a fortress in it does not apply), I can't see why the sorcerer can't take advantage of the seafarer attribute on sea or lake regions. In both cases one player is taking advantage of another players attribute.

Taking over a fortress does not give you extra money (but does give you extra defense), whereas taking over a sea or lake region (with sorcerer ability) does not let you attack other sea regions (but does at least let you own that region you conquered with the sorcerer special ability).

Not to knit-pick but, these are some deep questions stirring in my mind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only race that can conquer a sea/lake region is a race with the Seafaring power. For non-Seafaring races, the seas and lake are not "regions" for conquest purposes.

Think of it this way: A has no way to build or use a boat to take advantage of the sea or lake. Since he can't use it, the region is of no value to him. Being practically minded, as Sorcerers are, he won't even bother zapping that lone token out there on the water in a boat. Even if it's an Orc and it's making rude gestures at him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortresses are removed from the region when the associated race's last token is removed from that region for any reason.

Troll Lairs are removed from the region then the last Troll token is removed from that region for any reason.

Seas/Lakes are not regions.

Seafaring lets you conquer those areas as though they were regions

Sorcerer lets you conquer regions.

So, if you had Seafaring Sorcerers, sure, you can conquer the Seas/Lakes normally, but wouldn't be able to 'zap' into the region because no-one else is there.

Likewise, if your Sorcerers are not seafaring, they cannot enter the Seas/Lakes, so they cannot 'zap' into those areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Atkinson
United States
Hampton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ManitobaWarrior wrote:
If you own the fortress attribute, then say you own a region with a fortress placed therein, when that region is conquered by an opponent does the fortress stay behind to be used by the opponent?

Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ManitobaWarrior wrote:
Not to knit-pick but, these are some deep questions stirring in my mind...

You can answer these deep questions by delving the depths of the rulebook, and pondering their implications:

Fortified rules wrote:
Remove the Fortress if you abandon the Region or when an enemy conquers it.

No one else can "take advantage" of the Forts.

Seafaring rules wrote:
You can consider the Seas and Lakes as 3 empty Regions you may conquer.

Ie., to everyone else they are not Regions, so they don't fall into "any neighboring region".

[Edited to include the quote I was responding to, since several people responded while I was writing it.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d s
Canada
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Yeah I can agree with that. I guess my confusion comes from the same game where just before I wanted to convert the lone sea region token, I had conquered a fortress and everyone agreed that the fortress stayed in the region (now under dragon master sorcerer control). We played that part wrong. Live and learn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
If due to a miss print, bad packaging, or stealing from another copy of the game, you have TWO copies of Sea-Faring, then it could be possible...

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
"Seafaring lets you conquer those areas as though they were regions

I agree with Byron's answer to this. But in light of the following comment I'd like to take it one step further.

ManitobaWarrior wrote:
The seafarer ability says that you can conquer lakes and seas "as if they were regions". However, at scoring time, you score points for conquered regions. Unless it reads you score points for any conquered region, sea or lake.

Fortunately, you are able to score them like regions as well, when no one else can.

The Sorcerers' ability to ZAP tokens...ah, a fresh topic for a new day! (You know we're Geeks because we still respond to these posts...) LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wyman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Short version: Only if they are Seafaring Sorcerers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robosheep wrote:
Short version: Only if they are Seafaring Sorcerers.

But if there's a unit there to zap, then that unit must be from an (active) Seafaring race, so they can't be Seafaring Sorcerers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d s
Canada
Mississippi
flag msg tools
It really comes down to the point where one players attributes cannot be used/inherited by another player. Thanks for the comments everyone.

The answer is officially:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Handley
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Sorcerers' ability to ZAP tokens...ah, a fresh topic for a new day! (You know we're Geeks because we still respond to these posts...) LOL

[/q]

Regarding the ZAPPING...... I our game last night, we had a minor scuffle regarding whether my Sorcerer could ZAP a lost tribe unit (to get myself another Sorcerer) - but my opponents quoted the rulebook which says 'Once per turn substitute an opponent's single active token with a new Sorcerer to conquer an adjacent region'
So is a 'lost tribe' an opponent? Could I ZAP it to get a Sorcerer? Or must it be an opponent's unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rab_C wrote:

Quote:

Regarding the ZAPPING...... I our game last night, we had a minor scuffle regarding whether my Sorcerer could ZAP a lost tribe unit (to get myself another Sorcerer) - but my opponents quoted the rulebook which says 'Once per turn substitute an opponent's single active token with a new Sorcerer to conquer an adjacent region'
So is a 'lost tribe' an opponent? Could I ZAP it to get a Sorcerer? Or must it be an opponent's unit?

The point is not whether or not it is an opponent. The point is whether or not it is active. All tokens with a broken column icon on them are in decline, hence not active. Therefore, the Sorcerers' zap conquest cannot affect Lost Tribes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.